Media Server Question(s) for Roku 3 and a PC

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Media Server Question(s) for Roku 3 and a PC

Postby kicksnj2 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:09 pm

Just got a roku 3 and sharing video files from a windows 7 PC and using the roku media player channel to view them. It generally works, but when we add new video files to the same existing folder the roku does not see them immediately. Even if you restart the computer and restart the roku, the files do not appear, but then eventually just show up. There seems to be no consistency to how long it takes before you are able to view them. Is there some way to force the roku to refresh the media library share?
kicksnj2

Re: Media Server Question(s) for Roku 3 and a PC

Postby TheEndless » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:43 pm

I can't say for sure, but that's most likely a function of the server rather than the Roku. Assuming you're using Windows Media Player, this article might help: http://fiddley.wordpress.com/2011/01/12 ... ary-wmp12/
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby RokuDale » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:59 pm

The current Roku Media Player caches the the meta data and content directory structure the first time you enter into a folder. It will empty it's cache by returning all the back to the Media Device selection screen or by exiting and going back in. If you have added something to the media server and you are already in the Roku Media Player you should exit and reenter the RMP to get it to pull a fresh set of data from the server. We do this because it makes navigation so much faster. This is also true for the USB drive. The RMP will remember the directory contents as you browse around.
RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Postby tclotworthy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:14 am

Hi, I don't believe rokudale is correct. even restarting the roku device and re-entering the roku media server does not result in the cache clearing, at least not with my Roku 2
tclotworthy

Postby Jeck11 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:59 am

I use Plex and it reindexes it's library every hour by default but can be dropped to 15 mins.
Jeck11

Postby RokuDale » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:42 am

[quote="tclotworthy"]Hi, I don't believe rokudale is correct. even restarting the roku device and re-entering the roku media server does not result in the cache clearing, at least not with my Roku 2[/quote]

Roku doesn't make a Media Server. The Roku Media Player is a client. There is no persistent storage of the contents of any DLNA Media Server in the RMP except during the running of the RMP. When the RMP is exited it is all expunged. Also when you are back in the "select Media Source Screen" the cache is cleared. If you are seeing stale stuff after first entering the RMP, it is because the Media Server on your PC itself has stale or incorrect data.
You can notice this yourself by timing the difference it takes to enter a folder the first time, and then every time after that. The first time will be the longest. If you are running windows 7 you can start up Windows Task Manager, then click on Resource Monitor. This will bring up a set of graphs. Watch the 'network' one and you can see the amount of data being pulled.
RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Postby tclotworthy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:00 pm

I guess I am confused rokudale. I was following this thread and used the link from theEndless, because I could not get my file information updated on the RMP side. theEndless' link said to, from Windows Media Player, to Tools->Advanced->Restore Media Library.

However, after doing that, the RMP now cannot even connect to a media server on my PC (I get the "No Media Devices Found" error). So, now RMP does not connect at all!

What have I done? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
tclotworthy

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion