WWE Network Announced for Roku

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: WWE Network Announced for Roku

Postby housemr » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:25 am

i read that mlb.tv (which is a partner in the wwe network) allows up to 4 connections at once so that would be my guess. i know netflix and amzon also allow a certain amount (more than 1) at a time with no extra fee.
housemr

Postby bvd1022 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:42 pm

housemr wrote:i read that mlb.tv (which is a partner in the wwe network) allows up to 4 connections at once so that would be my guess. i know netflix and amzon also allow a certain amount (more than 1) at a time with no extra fee.

MLB Technologies is involved in the development of the channel based on what they said at the press conference last week. I am not sure if they have partnered with WWE or if WWE contracted those who were responsible in developing MLB TV to develop their channels on the various platforms.

I do not subscribe to MLB TV as I have long had an MLB subscription through DirecTV, but I have seen a few games on the channel via the free game of the day feature and I will say, much like AWE (Formally Wealth TV) the quality of the stream is such that you cannot tell it’s a stream. It doesn’t get much better than that.

I assume considering WWE has invested significant money into the network that they have spared no expense to make sure that the streaming quality and reliability of the feeds are as error-free as possible. An obvious thing that they will probably have issues with is the potential for server overload when registration for the network opens in a few weeks. Personally, I wish they would have allowed pre-ordering right after the announcement of the launch date. I think had they given themselves the extra window of time with a few weeks out before launch that it may have allowed the necessary time to ensure that subscriptions don’t have problems. As for me, I am hoping that the website doesn’t crash on launch day so I can go ahead and subscribe with no problem. In regard to what you said, as I said Netflix has two different plans, a two-screen planned priced at the normal $8 subscription or a four-screen plan for under $12. I assume that they will allow at least two devices to run simultaneously from the launch of the network. I fully expect WWE to adjust their rates and maybe adjust their subscription plan maybe a year from now.

It would not surprise me to see them offer different subscription plans at some point. I think an indication of whether they will quickly adjust their rates will come after a certain number of pay-per-view events. I believe it all depends on whether they lose pay-per-view distribution via cable and satellite providers.
bvd1022

Postby Frankie'sMarket » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:35 pm

bvd1022 wrote:
housemr wrote:i read that mlb.tv (which is a partner in the wwe network) allows up to 4 connections at once so that would be my guess. i know netflix and amzon also allow a certain amount (more than 1) at a time with no extra fee.

I assume that they will allow at least two devices to run simultaneously from the launch of the network.

I see we are being the wishful optimists here.

For nearly 30 years, the WWE has been very protective over its video properties. With the considerable resources that McMahon & Co. have expended on fighting piracy, why would they suddenly offer an easy way for people to potentially exploit the fledgling network? It's just like a man who spends thousands of dollars on a sophisticated, high-tech security system for his home.... then proceeds to set a passcode of 1-2-3-4 for the door lock. I mean, really??? :roll:
Frankie'sMarket

Postby bvd1022 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:10 pm

Frankie'sMarket wrote:
bvd1022 wrote:

I assume that they will allow at least two devices to run simultaneously from the launch of the network.

I see we are being the wishful optimists here.

For nearly 30 years, the WWE has been very protective over its video properties. With the considerable resources that McMahon & Co. have expended on fighting piracy, why would they suddenly offer an easy way for people to potentially exploit the fledgling network? It's just like a man who spends thousands of dollars on a sophisticated, high-tech security system for his home.... then proceeds to set a passcode of 1-2-3-4 for the door lock. I mean, really??? :roll:

I think it may be somewhat similar to how things were in the early days of pay-per-view on cable. I know that the cable system I had when I was a kid had a rule that if you ordered pay-per-view you were only allowed to watch it on one cable box, even if you had say one box in a living room and one in a bed room. I think the reason for that back then was because there were stories that would be reported from time to time about people being able to tap into broadcast feeds via a home satellite dish, obviously without paying for it.

Perhaps by limiting access to one cable box distributors could keep better tabs on who was accessing content the right way by paying for it. We will have to wait and see what WWE’s policy will be, either way I don’t see WWE or anyone else for that matter completely putting an end to piracy. I do think that more people will choose to subscribe instead of searching online for a feed of what WWE is doing due to the affordable price. Even with the affordable price though, I don’t think piracy will ever completely go away. I do think that the more the network becomes available globally, it might become less of an issue in time.

In terms of Roku I think access may be easier to police seeing as you need to link a Roku player to your account. Perhaps WWE will look at something like that. Like being able to link a device, Roku or another platform to a WWE Network account with only a certain number of devices allowed to be active at once? It’s just an idea, I am sure especially with MLB Technologies being involved that they have probably thought of how they are going to deal with the issue of potential abuse. I assume that we will find out more on launch day when people can subscribe. Beyond saying what kind of content they will be offering beyond on demand programming, and some of their original programming that will be exclusive to the network, they have been tight lipped.

I was wondering if they were going to address the statements made by DirecTV shortly after the press conference announcing the launch, but they haven’t said anything as of yet. What I find interesting about the issue with the cable and satellite providers is they haven’t said anything about decreasing the price of pay-per-view events for non-subscribers who order via cable and satellite. I doubt seriously that if they were to lower the prices that it wouldn’t be as low as the subscription price, but they should reduce the price a bit. Expecting solid pay-per-view numbers via traditional mediums at a high price when you’re offering the same content for a substantially lower subscription price may be wishful thinking. It will be an interesting couple of months to see how this all plays out.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see the cable and satellite providers revolt and refuse to carry WWE possibly starting with Wrestlemania 30, but the conundrum for the providers is if you drop WWE what do you replace it with? Surely you’d want to ensure that you can still potentially profit and get the 60% revenue that you would get from WWE, but what would be the course of action. Perhaps requesting that the UFC start doing periodic Sunday pay-per-view cards could be one way to go, but then that would leave gaps in schedules for events typically slated for Saturdays when there is not a Boxing event taking place being offered on pay-per-view. It’s going to be interesting to see what the providers do if that happens. It is probably the end of an era in some ways. I grew up watching pay-per-view via Viewer’s Choice (Now InDemand) and Request TV in the 80’s. I miss those days. For some reason pay-per-view was a lot more special back then.

Even though things have greatly advanced now technology wise, the concept of traditional pay-per-view potentially being a thing of the past is kind of sad even though it’s clear that technology is moving in the direction of OTT digital distribution. If cable and satellite providers were smart they would be looking toward adapting with the trend, maybe even working with platforms like Roku to move their respective services to the OTT platform. Just one man’s opinion.
bvd1022

Postby Frankie'sMarket » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:08 am

bvd1022 wrote:We will have to wait and see what WWE’s policy will be, either way I don’t see WWE or anyone else for that matter completely putting an end to piracy. I do think that more people will choose to subscribe instead of searching online for a feed of what WWE is doing due to the affordable price. Even with the affordable price though, I don’t think piracy will ever completely go away.

The WWE's fight against piracy is like the so-called war on drugs. There's no definitive end to the battle. It's an ongoing matter, with the copyright violators cooking up schemes to make a quick buck and copyright owners coming up with countermeasures to curtail the illegal activity. The WWE folks have seen it all. Analog cable descramblers. Bootleg DVD-R copies of WWE programming sold on eBay. Cheap knock-offs of WWE merchandise sold by sidewalk vendors. Unauthorized Internet streams of PPV events. And each time, the WWE have taken steps to combat these schemes and to assert their property rights. So any notion that the WWE would shoot themselves in the foot by making it easy for a bunch of freeloaders to consume PPV programming on one paid account,.... well, those people haven't been paying close attention.
Frankie'sMarket

Postby bvd1022 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:32 am

Frankie'sMarket wrote:
bvd1022 wrote:We will have to wait and see what WWE’s policy will be, either way I don’t see WWE or anyone else for that matter completely putting an end to piracy. I do think that more people will choose to subscribe instead of searching online for a feed of what WWE is doing due to the affordable price. Even with the affordable price though, I don’t think piracy will ever completely go away.

I certainly don’t expect them to shoot themselves in the foot although I do agree with you that it is an ongoing battle with those who choose to violate intellectual property rights. It’s not exclusively a WWE problem, it’s a problem across the board. As I said it will be interesting to see how they address the issue of potential abuse. What I am saying is I don’t see them limiting access to one device per household. I think at minimum they’ll allow two. The reasoning behind my opinion is, you can order pay-per-view on cable and satellite now of days and be able to watch that feed on any television in your home so long as every television had compatible equipment and such. I’m not sure on the exact year that became common practice, but I believe it was several years, maybe even two decades ago if not longer.

The cable system I mentioned before that only allowed access to pay-per-view on one receiver was during the 1980’s. I assume that policy changed as cable grew in popularity. I think if WWE were to say only one device can be active, some might view it as regressing in time in terms of what is available and what is allowed for accessing content by cable and satellite providers for customers who have more than one receiver in their home. I think one thing that they might do is take measures to ensure increased security as a means of trying to prevent people from sharing accounts outside of their household and such. I think other than obviously trying to ensure that the only person using an account is in fact the account holder, what they might do is try to discourage people from sharing their accounts by saying violators will face termination of access to their account etc. I’m sure that will all be covered in their terms of use. I do think it would be foolish for them to think that there is no potential of abuse with what they are doing. I doubt seriously that is the case it’s only a question of how the issue is addressed and whether access to the network will be similar to what cable and satellite providers allow with their services and what Netflix allows with their service.
bvd1022

Postby callmaster » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:21 pm

I can't wait for this one :)
callmaster

Postby bvd1022 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:18 pm

callmaster wrote:I can't wait for this one :)

It should be nice. The price of the subscription with the six month commitment is equal to one pay-per-view in HD ordered on most cable and satellite providers. I really don’t see how people wouldn’t be attracted to it, even those who are not particularly fans of the current product. As for me, it has been several years since I covered the business, but I still try to watch the current product as much as I can. The library that will be included with the network is what makes it worth it for me, but I am looking forward to catching up on the current product, particularly the pay-per-view shows that I haven’t been able to afford.
bvd1022

Postby overtimeman » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:47 am

I have been requesting a PPV app and this is a 1000 times better.Hope in time they add all the old PPV's so I can watch all the former wrestlers in their prime and since a lot have departed. My youngest children and grandchildren can watch it all when wrestling was in it's prime! :lol: Yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus!
Last edited by overtimeman on Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to have a life before Roku!
overtimeman

Postby bvd1022 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:54 pm

overtimeman wrote:I have been requesting a PPV app and this is a 1000 times better.Hope in time they add all the old PPV's so I can watch all the former wrestlers in their prime and since a lot the have departed. My youngest children and grandchildren can watch it all when wrestling was in it's prime! :lol: Yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus!

Based on what they said two weeks ago at the official press conference all pay-per-views ever produced by WWE, WCW, ECW will be available for viewing upon the launch in just over five weeks. They said that all the stuff in the library will be uncut, unedited, and uncensored. I initially was skeptical of that claim based on the legal case between them and the World Wildlife Fund which caused them to lose the rights to use the initials WWF, even though they maintain the rights to World Wrestling Federation and such.

I covered the court case. It all centered around when WWE changed their logo to the scratch logo in the late 1990’s. Personally I never understood why a compromise couldn’t be made that allowed Vince McMahon to maintain the rights to use the initials. It was understandable seeing as they had an agreement in place with the wildlife fund going back decades that centered on the classic cube logo, why the wildlife fund would take action seeing as changing logos without authorization from them was a violation of the agreement. At the same time, I can understand why Vince McMahon didn’t seek authorization from them. It probably doesn’t make much sense to some that he would have to go and get authorization from an organization that has nothing to do with your business and thus likely lacks knowledge when it comes to marketing in that business, just to change logos. It is the way it was though. I still personally think they could have come to an agreement.

The WWE recently reached a settlement with the wildlife people that allows them to use the old scratch WWF logo unblurred and commentary with mention of WWF to go unedited. It makes me wonder personally why they couldn’t come to an agreement almost twelve years ago which would have benefited all involved. At the minimum WWE wouldn’t have had to spend the amount of money that they have to edit their footage. They probably saved some money restoring said footage to the original condition, but it makes you wonder why they wouldn’t have done that in the first place. I also wonder why the wildlife people would be willing after all this time to grant them permission to do that. It really makes me think that if Vince McMahon really wanted to use the initials WWF again, he probably could come to an agreement with the wildlife people. Maybe it’s a case of ego taking over rational reason who knows? It’s hard to argue that their business did take a hit after the name change. WrestleMania does well every year, but beyond that it’s hit and miss. It isn’t just the name change that was responsible for that, when WCW and ECW both folded it really hurt the business as a whole.

Back when I still covered the business I was one who was saying that they were doing too many pay-per-view events a year. This was even before the price increases and the addition of HD which has increased the price of pay-per-view on most cable and satellite providers. I feel that had they gone back to doing four or at most five pay-per-views a year, the numbers probably would have been a bit more solid.

It isn’t hard to understand with the price increases along with the number of pay-per-view events per year, why pay-per-view numbers have steadily been on the decline with exception for a few pay-per-view events per year. Back when I was growing up and even when I was covering the business to a certain degree pay-per-view was special, just had a special feeling to it you looked forward to the events, and the events were built up better simply because prior to 1995 pay-per-view was not a monthly model for wrestling promotions.
bvd1022

Postby bvd1022 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:41 am

I’m sorry if there is a rule about having more than one post before someone else post that I might be breaking. I wanted to let anyone who will still order pay-per-view until the network launches know that if you order the SD feed, all of a sudden WWE has started doing letterbox feeds for pay-per-view events. I ordered the Royal Rumble for tonight and as usual I order SD for WWE events, strictly because I have DirecTV and I have to pay an extra $10 for HD pay-per-view feeds and increased sales tax. When prices are expensive to begin with, the extra fees is a bit much. Normally I don’t have a problem because they have always had a full screen feed on both feeds. It kind of angers me that most content providers who do pay-per-view events have gone to a widescreen format for their events on SD feeds. I might be in the minority here, but I feel if you’re paying $44.95 or above for a pay-per-view event you should get a full screen picture. I just thought I would pass that along for anyone who might be ordering tonight. If DirecTV is doing widescreen on their SD feed it is probably the same across the board.
bvd1022

Postby housemr » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:00 pm

Does anyone know if this will support all versions of the roku (like netflix/amazon) or just some versions like espn & disney?
housemr

Postby bvd1022 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:15 pm

housemr wrote:Does anyone know if this will support all versions of the roku (like netflix/amazon) or just some versions like espn & disney?

From what I know all WWE said was Roku streaming players. I assume this would mean all models or at least recent versions of the models (The recently discontinued models) would be included. I upgraded to Roku 3 two weeks ago, so I shouldn’t have a problem. I just hope that it is easy to navigate and easy to find the on demand section. I saw the demo screen during the aforementioned press conference. It didn’t really say much about navigation nor did it display the on demand section and such. I assume this will all be worked out in the next two weeks or so, if it hasn’t already. It was a demo screen after all, maybe their hiding the real display until launch day.
bvd1022

Postby housemr » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:35 pm

Roku online says the wwe network is installed but it isnt showing up on my older roku Roku HD (N1100). if it wont work/install on older rokus why doesnt roku give the message "Oops. It seems there are no players linked to your Roku account that support this channel. Check out our latest selection of Roku players."
housemr

Postby Elijah_Baley » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:47 pm

housemr wrote:Roku online says the wwe network is installed but it isnt showing up on my older roku Roku HD (N1100). if it wont work/install on older rokus why doesnt roku give the message "Oops. It seems there are no players linked to your Roku account that support this channel. Check out our latest selection of Roku players."

It is only for the newer Rokus. It will not work on the first gen Rokus at all. The WWE wrote it that way.
Roku 3 Wired-Roku 2 XS Wired

“This is a mournful discovery.
1)Those who agree with you are insane
2)Those who do not agree with you are in power.”
Philip K. D1ck (The 1 is to replace the "i" Stupid censor)
Elijah_Baley

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion