Showtime Anytime- NOT COMPATIBLE

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Showtime Anytime- NOT COMPATIBLE

Postby pjensen » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:32 pm

I was so excited to have access to Showtime finally.

And then it happened.. Not all devices are compatible with the showtime anytime app!! Buyer Beware. After about 1 and 1/2 hours of tech support they finally advised my that my model is not supported. Only the below ones are:

2400X, 2450X, 2500X, 2700X, 2710X, 2720X, 3000X, 3050X, 3100X, 3400X, 3420X, 4200X

So My 2050x that I just got barely a year ago... Is not and will not likely be compatible. At the time of this posting all support could tell me is that if I wanted access to this showtime app I would need one of those versions. I am grievously disappointed with the end result. So folks, if you want the service get ready to have to buy a new one every time something comes along. the whole point of buying a roku was to not have to do this... I am deeply disappointed and eager to see how "roku" intends to make this right by their customers.

Roku you were supposed to revolutionize internet tv.. instead, you have fallen short like everyone else... 9990 channels no one cares about... and a couple that won't work unless you keep buying a new roku...

Roku you know how to reach me .. I encourage you to do so.... perhaps Rueters would like my press release as well as yours...

Signed..

Deeply disappointed...
pjensen

Re: Showtime Anytime- NOT COMPATIBLE

Postby Elijah_Baley » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:41 pm

pjensen wrote: I am deeply disappointed and eager to see how "roku" intends to make this right by their customers.
Roku you were supposed to revolutionize internet tv.. instead, you have fallen short like everyone else... 9990 channels no one cares about... and a couple that won't work unless you keep buying a new roku...
Roku you know how to reach me .. I encourage you to do so.... perhaps Rueters would like my press release as well as yours...
Signed..
Deeply disappointed...

Clearly you have not bothered to read around the web and these forums because if you had you would have discovered that Roku generally does not write the channels. Your problem is with Showtime.

Showtime chose to write the channel using features that have been introduced in the two generations of Rokus that have come along since yours and that is their decision not Roku's.

Roku has done a number of things that lie between foolish and stupid but this is not one of them. The fact is that the hardware is evolving rapidly and that is to be expected and the channel developers have to make their decision about weather to support the older hardware or not. Showtime chose "not" and that is their choice.
Roku 3 Wired-Roku 2 XS Wired

“This is a mournful discovery.
1)Those who agree with you are insane
2)Those who do not agree with you are in power.”
Philip K. Dick
Elijah_Baley

Postby Basil » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:44 pm

pjensen wrote:I was so excited to have access to Showtime finally.

And then it happened.. Not all devices are compatible with the showtime anytime app!! Buyer Beware. After about 1 and 1/2 hours of tech support they finally advised my that my model is not supported. Only the below ones are:

2400X, 2450X, 2500X, 2700X, 2710X, 2720X, 3000X, 3050X, 3100X, 3400X, 3420X, 4200X

So My 2050x that I just got barely a year ago... Is not and will not likely be compatible. At the time of this posting all support could tell me is that if I wanted access to this showtime app I would need one of those versions. I am grievously disappointed with the end result. So folks, if you want the service get ready to have to buy a new one every time something comes along. the whole point of buying a roku was to not have to do this... I am deeply disappointed and eager to see how "roku" intends to make this right by their customers.

Signed..

Deeply disappointed...

You bought a model 2050 a year ago? In 2013? That model was discontinued in July 2011.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Postby trekkeriii » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:47 pm

Most of the newer channels are taking advantage of the hardware/software advantages that are not available on first generation hardware (some are only available on Roku 3 even, like YouTube) due to hardware limitations. It's not Roku is denying you access, it's that the hardware is just too old to support the new Channels. So, you got a 2050X a year ago (it was released in 2010)? The second generation Roku devices were released two years ago (2011), so you much have gotten a cheap model of eBay or a refurb. You made the choice to get the older hardware at purchase time.

Also, Roku like any other device has improved hardware over time (and keep it affordable for the consumer), which allows channel developers to add features, which in turn could not work on older hardware. It's just the nature of technology, same thing has happened to all the iPhones, iPads, etc. Should I complain that the new Android versions won't work on my old Galaxy Nexus? I am happy I got up to 4.2 (originally came with 4.0).

Roku has made it "right" by having very cheap devices in the first place. $50 or $60 is not a lot of money to replace a nearly 4 year old device.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion