Why do our Roku's choke and reboot so much?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Why do our Roku's choke and reboot so much?

Postby vnazario » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:18 am

Hello:

Just want to start this thread to know more about why our Roku's choke and reboot so much and any tips to help minimize this and improve reliability and over-all user experience. Thank you for anyone who can provide useful information.

These tips are more for those using older 600Mhz CPU boxes. Don't know if the Roku 3 also chokes up and reboots as much as the other models.

Already know:

Ethernet over wireless
Faster bandwidth helps
Installed micro SD card (Didn't seem to help much)
Number of channels installed??? (some of you have only a handful of channels and still experience the same so not sure if number of installed channels matter or not)

Any other tips?
vnazario

(2) Roku2 XS,Roku 1(New),Logitech Revue Google TV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini HTPC-EyeTV DVR+Rabbit TV+PLEX+XBMC,TiVo Premier,Wii,PS3,Sony Blu Ray w/ streaming apps,Equiso Android TV
Local TV: QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported plug-ins.
vnazario

Re: Why do our Roku's choke and reboot so much?

Postby BradC » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:38 am

might be the channel you are using? I don't seem to have that same issue very often myself. It's happened but rarely.
BradC

Postby mikebdoss » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:40 am

My Rokus almost never choke (I can count on one hand the number of times I've had an in-channel reboot in the last year) - when it does happen, it seems tied to network problems and retrieving. I run wired on one of mine, wireless on another. Primarily watch Netflix, HBOGo, Amazon Prime and Radio Paradise.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby kc8pql » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:41 am

^ Same here. Very rarely see a reboot on any of my boxes.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby vnazario » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:04 pm

Hello:

It doesn't happen daily but I have noticed that it usually occurs when the unit hasn't been rebooted in a while. It might be the channel or the stream itself, but not sure. I know my Roku works best after a reboot but it takes an awfully long time to initialize. I have requested some sort of over-night reboot scheduling and updating function so the unit works best and goes through this cycle when not in use but not offered yet. Maybe something like this can be accessed through "secret" advanced menu in the near future.

This is my setup: Roku 2 XS on Ethernet, 8GB Micro SD Card, 50MBPS Ethernet and 25MBPS (WiFi on Wireless G Band-For Compatibility purposes). All 3 of my Roku's choke from time-to-time: (2) Roku 2 XS and 1 Roku 1 (New model). Again, not a daily thing but it is a bit annoying having the thing choke in the middle of watching something and waiting for a long reboot to then re-find and play what you were watching.

I have done ping tests on my network to check for lost packets but no packets lost so this may not be the problem. Given I have cable, I don't always have full 50MBPs speeds but even during peak hours I have over 25 which is more than enough for streaming without re-buffering. My Blu-Ray and Google TV boxes work fine so I doubt it is something with my network.

I could change channels on my router to test for stability but that is for the WiFi. That should not affect my 2 XSs that are connected via Ethernet.

Maybe you can say it is the SD card but my Roku 1 doesn't use them and also chokes so that either. Am I missing something? What is left is the Roku itself (HW limitations) or software related (Firmware, channel itself, or actual streams (source).
vnazario

(2) Roku2 XS,Roku 1(New),Logitech Revue Google TV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini HTPC-EyeTV DVR+Rabbit TV+PLEX+XBMC,TiVo Premier,Wii,PS3,Sony Blu Ray w/ streaming apps,Equiso Android TV
vnazario

Postby knuckle » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:11 pm

My HD (405 MGHz processor) would choke occaisionally on local files or after using Justin for hours upon hours(and it has been a good long while since it has happened) and my two LTs 2400s with the older 600MGHz processor never do.
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV
all running wireless on a actiontec C2000A
knuckle

Postby crustyfolk » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:47 pm

There have been a few threads on this problem. After some prodding, Roku determined it was a firmware bug, and they have a possible fix that will be part of the next major release. It's unfortunate they chose not to do a small build update for this, but maybe the fix depends on other changes. No word of when we will get the update or what interesting capabilities it will include. I have a Roku 2 XS and it reboots every day or so depending on how much use it gets.
crustyfolk

Postby mikebdoss » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:57 pm

crustyfolk wrote:There have been a few threads on this problem. After some prodding, Roku determined it was a firmware bug, and they have a possible fix that will be part of the next major release. It's unfortunate they chose not to do a small build update for this, but maybe the fix depends on other changes. No word of when we will get the update or what interesting capabilities it will include. I have a Roku 2 XS and it reboots every day or so depending on how much use it gets.

Do you remember what thread Roku said this on? I'd like to see it.
mikebdoss

Postby knuckle » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:03 pm

hey mike,

perhaps this is thread crusty was referring to viewtopic.php?f=28&t=65470&start=75#p428223
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV
knuckle

Postby RokuShawnS » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:05 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
crustyfolk wrote:There have been a few threads on this problem. After some prodding, Roku determined it was a firmware bug, and they have a possible fix that will be part of the next major release. It's unfortunate they chose not to do a small build update for this, but maybe the fix depends on other changes. No word of when we will get the update or what interesting capabilities it will include. I have a Roku 2 XS and it reboots every day or so depending on how much use it gets.

Do you remember what thread Roku said this on? I'd like to see it.

knuckle wrote:hey mike,

perhaps this is thread crusty was referring to viewtopic.php?f=28&t=65470&start=75#p428223

That's the correct thread I think. There's a specific bug that cropped up in the last firmware that affects (as far as I can recall) only the Roku 2XS. That particular bug will be fixed in the next major update, barring catastrophe.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby knuckle » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:09 pm

from reading vnazario's second post in this thread I took it that he is having the same problem with his new roku 1 as well as his XS.
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV
knuckle

Postby vnazario » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:12 pm

knuckle wrote:from reading vnazario's second post in this thread I took it that he is having the same problem with his new roku 1 as well as his XS.

My new Roku 1 chokes from time to time but not as often as my 2 XS's. Although My 2 XS's get the most use. I've had them for 2+ years so they have "some high miles" (usage) and have gone through lots of firmware versions (Original UI to current). Hope to see the new firmware fix the known bugs. Out of all my streaming devices, Roku is the one I use the most. Look forward to more reliability and features added in the near future.

Thanks to everyone who has posted.

vnazario
vnazario

vnazario

Postby RokuShawnS » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:17 pm

The specific bug that causes the reboot problem is isolated to the Roku 2XS. The fix won't address whatever is happening with any other units.

I've seen some of the reports from CS, and nothing indicates any widespread problem regarding the R1s.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby stutch13 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:27 pm

Mine will lock up when I use Weather Nation.. It never used to.. What I was just wondering is should I wait for the screen in the upper right to start showing programming before getting on with moving to wherever I'm headed on the main screen, either the forecast or moving on to the video updates (regional sites).. When it locks up I am trying to move the cursor to the right.. The highlight cursor that is..
stutch13

Postby kbd48 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:29 pm

knuckle wrote:My HD (405 MGHz processor) would choke occaisionally on local files or after using Justin for hours upon hours(and it has been a good long while since it has happened) and my two LTs 2400s with the older 600MGHz processor never do.

My HD chokes all the time on Hulu+ but like you, LT never causes me issues.
kbd48

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion