Rock You or Row Coo???

Discussion not related to any specific Roku product.

Moderator: RokuJamesL

Rock You or Row Coo???

Postby SydneyGuy » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:34 pm

Here's the toughest question you have had to answer for a while I'm sure.

How is Roku pronounced? Is it "rock you" or "row coo"???
SydneyGuy
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:08 pm

Re: Rock You or Row Coo???

Postby Burkhardi » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:11 pm

SydneyGuy wrote:Here's the toughest question you have had to answer for a while I'm sure.

How is Roku pronounced? Is it "rock you" or "row coo"???
Some really get off base and call it Rock-U, some call it Ru-Ku (Roo-Coo)and I think it's Row-Ku which is the number 6 in Japanese.
HOwever, it's pronounced how every Anthony Wood wants to pronounce it.
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku
Burkhardi
 
Posts: 1946
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:06 am
Location: Austin, Texas ...Y'all

Postby grommet » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:55 pm

I'm sure we had other threads, too. http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=8522 8)
grommet
 
Posts: 1718
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: S.F. Bay Area, CA

Postby SydneyGuy » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:16 pm

I didn't bother to search becasue I didn't think anybody else would have bothered to ask. Looks like "Row Koo" it is.
SydneyGuy
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:08 pm

Postby stretch » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:00 am

grommet wrote:I'm sure we had other threads, too. http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=8522 8)


And if any of them had bothered to look then they wouldn't even need to ask.

http://www.rokulabs.com/about_company.php wrote:Roku—which means "six" in Japanese—is the sixth company built around Anthony's inventions
stretch
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:29 am
Location: Australia

Postby SydneyGuy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:29 am

stretch wrote:
http://www.rokulabs.com/about_company.php wrote:Roku—which means "six" in Japanese—is the sixth company built around Anthony's inventions

That tells us what it means but for those of us that don't speak Japanese we still wouldn't know how to pronounce it.
SydneyGuy
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:08 pm

Postby S80_UK » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:54 am

SydneyGuy wrote:That tells us what it means but for those of us that don't speak Japanese we still wouldn't know how to pronounce it.

My understanding is that the O is short - as in the English word "top". The U is a short "oo" as in the English word "flute" - not the same as "mute" which is longer and more like "you". The Japanese tend not to use long vowel sounds. R and K don't change much from their normal usage.

So basically it is "Rock-oo" but the oo is quite short and flows directly from the K with no break.

(Daughter is learning to speak, read and write Japanese at university, so if this is wrong, I shall blame her...) :)
S80_UK
 
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:11 am
Location: Cambridgeshire, UK

Postby na9d » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:53 am

S80_UK wrote:
SydneyGuy wrote:That tells us what it means but for those of us that don't speak Japanese we still wouldn't know how to pronounce it.

My understanding is that the O is short - as in the English word "top". The U is a short "oo" as in the English word "flute" - not the same as "mute" which is longer and more like "you". The Japanese tend not to use long vowel sounds. R and K don't change much from their normal usage.

So basically it is "Rock-oo" but the oo is quite short and flows directly from the K with no break.

(Daughter is learning to speak, read and write Japanese at university, so if this is wrong, I shall blame her...) :)


Being someone who has studied a year of Japanese (and who has lived there for 2 months with a Japanese family and who has traveled there 4 or 5 times since), I can tell you that this is absolutely 100% incorrect.

The Japanse "alphabet" is comprised of somethng like 42 (might be more or less - it's been a while) sounds that are basically in English a consonant-vowel combination. The Japanese "vowels" are very similar to English. I'll use Roman lettering here for transliteration of the Japanese symbols:

a (pronounced like "ah")
i (pronounced like a long "e" - as in like key)
u (pronounced like "oo")
e (pronounced llike "ay")
o (pronounced like the Enlish long O).

Built off these are the rest of the sounds. The two we are interested in here are:

Ro
Ku

Ro is from the construction consisting of the letter "R" or the sound it makes (and it's actually a "rolled" R where the tip of the tounge touches the top gumline before making the sound - like you do when you sound the letter "L" - this is why Japanese have a hard time differentiating between the letters "R" and "L" because the sound is pretty much the same for them). So the grouping "Ro" comes from is:

Ra
Re
Ru
Ri
Ro

So knowning how the vowel sounds are pronounced given above, "Ro" is basically pronounced like the English word Row except with the rolled R.

Ku comes from the grouping:

Ka
Ki
Ku
Ke
Ko

And so would be pronounced like "coo" (like the coo in coo-coo clock).

So the pronunciation is:

Row-Ku

Jon
Roku Soundbridge M2000
Roku Soundbridge M1000
Roku Photobridge HD1000 RevB
Roku Photobridge HD1000 RevA
3 ReplayTVs
4 Slingboxes (Classic and Pro, AV and Solo)
Firefly Media Server and SlimServer Running on a MacPro
2 Vudu VOD Players
na9d
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Wed May 11, 2005 11:17 am
Location: Algonquin, IL

Postby BubbaDog » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:27 am

I still think it makes more marketing sense to pronounce it 'Rock You'....

B'Dog
(Who has no university language studies, but can speak Pig Latin with the best :D )
BubbaDog
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:58 am
Location: Houston, TX USA

Postby S80_UK » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:51 am

na9d wrote:Being someone who has studied a year of Japanese (and who has lived there for 2 months with a Japanese family and who has traveled there 4 or 5 times since), I can tell you that this is absolutely 100% incorrect.

OK - maybe you win, but I was 66% correct.

1 - Maybe Roc vs Row - 33% to you
2 - Ku vs k-oo - same thing so that's me 33% correct
3 - The fact that my daughter IS at university makes my other 33% (I know that's not what you meant, but hey... :) )

Thanks for the leasson - very helpful,

Les.
S80_UK
 
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:11 am
Location: Cambridgeshire, UK

Postby na9d » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:46 pm

S80_UK wrote:
na9d wrote:Being someone who has studied a year of Japanese (and who has lived there for 2 months with a Japanese family and who has traveled there 4 or 5 times since), I can tell you that this is absolutely 100% incorrect.

OK - maybe you win, but I was 66% correct.

1 - Maybe Roc vs Row - 33% to you
2 - Ku vs k-oo - same thing so that's me 33% correct
3 - The fact that my daughter IS at university makes my other 33% (I know that's not what you meant, but hey... :) )

Thanks for the leasson - very helpful,

Les.


OK. You got me! :D 100% wasn't correct.

I envy your daughter. I couldn't take 2nd year Nihongo because it conflicted with a class I had to take that was required to graduate in my major. :( And third semester Nihongo wasn't offered in the spring term - only in the fall. So I was stuck with just one year of studies. Still, it's a fun language.

I'm sure your daughter knows:

a i u e o, na, ni, nu, ne, no, ka, ki, ku, ke, ko, etc... :)

Fun stuff...
Roku Soundbridge M2000
Roku Soundbridge M1000
Roku Photobridge HD1000 RevB
Roku Photobridge HD1000 RevA
3 ReplayTVs
4 Slingboxes (Classic and Pro, AV and Solo)
Firefly Media Server and SlimServer Running on a MacPro
2 Vudu VOD Players
na9d
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Wed May 11, 2005 11:17 am
Location: Algonquin, IL

Postby bobinchicago » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:40 pm

Perhaps someone could just call the company and see how they answer...
bobinchicago
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:15 pm

Postby SydneyGuy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:01 pm

bobinchicago wrote:Perhaps someone could just call the company and see how they answer...

You're a lot closer than me Bob ..... :D
SydneyGuy
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:08 pm

Postby Burkhardi » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:46 am

bobinchicago wrote:Perhaps someone could just call the company and see how they answer...


OMG, I called and this is what I got...

"Thanks for calling R O K U, your call is very important to us, so please hold while we ..."

They said it like a radio station R-O-K-U














Sorry, I had too much coffee :twisted: this morning and am in a mischievous mood....
I didn't call...did anyone fall for my ruse?

Update: 5/8 I did call, they answered Row-Ku
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku
Burkhardi
 
Posts: 1946
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:06 am
Location: Austin, Texas ...Y'all

Postby Mon1018 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:05 am

didn't think anybody else would have bothered to ask :shock:
Mon1018
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:57 am

Next

Return to Roku General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests