Control from computer

Trying to control your SoundBridge with UPnP or the Roku Control Protocol? Want to write custom text to the screen with 'sketch'? This is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Control from computer

Postby dlmoc » Wed May 02, 2007 7:08 pm

Does anybody know of a good program or server to control the soundbridge from the computer ( to play and queue songs from my library ), besides the one on the third party download page like visualMR, or iBridge. They're just too slow and clunky. I've been using on2share, which works great for 15 minutes and then dumps my roku.

Anyways, if anyone has a program or any ideas that would be great!

thanks!
dlmoc

Postby zuovo » Thu May 03, 2007 1:54 am

VisualMR (control program) plus Firefly (music server) are a very fast and flexible combo. My guess is that your "slow and clunky" experience is from your current music server configuration.

A consistent drop every 15 minutes sounds either intentional (a limitation of the trial version of on2share?) or due to some periodic networking issue (e.g. aggressive DHCP renewal)...
zuovo

Postby dlmoc » Thu May 03, 2007 5:02 pm

I've been using Firefly + VisualMR as well. Firefly is an excellent server on it's own, but VisualMR has a pretty slow searching interface when compared with on2share broadcasting directly from winamp.

I checked my dhcp, it's set for one week, and my on2share isn't a trial version. So I'm not sure what the problem is.

Does anyone know if there are any other upnp servers out there that broadcast from winamp or even media monkey??
dlmoc

Postby zuovo » Fri May 04, 2007 3:16 pm

dlmoc wrote:I've been using Firefly + VisualMR as well. Firefly is an excellent server on it's own, but VisualMR has a pretty slow searching interface when compared with on2share broadcasting directly from winamp.

Choose File>Cache>Enable Browse Cache in the VisualMR menus (version 1.5+). The first request for the full list of Artists, Albums, or Genres may take a few seconds (depends on the size of your collection), but operations after that should be instant. Does that work for you? FYI, the Browse Cache breaks playlist browsing :(, but Thorsten is aware of the problem and plans to fix it in the next release of VisualMR. :)

And please post back if you get Winamp working as a control point with your SoundBridge. It looks like On2Share did a new release today, maybe that will fix your problem?
zuovo

Postby dlmoc » Fri May 04, 2007 5:49 pm

Tried the browser cache thing, my problem with it is that after I close it and open it on the next session it starts lagging again. Other than that it's a very decent program.

Tried the new version of on2share, same problem. Man, there support is HORRIBLE. I posted the problem on their forum over a week ago, and the only replies are from me begging for some help.

I'll have to try out some of those programs that Blamm mentioned.

...and like I said on2share works Awesome with winamp! But only for 15 minutes. If anybody can think of anything else I might be doing wrong with it please let me know.

Thanks again guys.
dlmoc

Postby tal » Sat May 05, 2007 4:19 am

dlmoc wrote:I've been using Firefly + VisualMR as well. Firefly is an excellent server on it's own, but VisualMR has a pretty slow searching interface when compared with on2share broadcasting directly from winamp.

I don't think that (once connected) browsing with VisualMR is slower than using the SoundBridge UI (with the caching it is often faster). But on2share probably has direct access to the music files and can therefore build a database of its own while the SoundBridge (including all RCP programs) has to requery the listings from the server.

dlmoc wrote:Tried the browser cache thing, my problem with it is that after I close it and open it on the next session it starts lagging again. Other than that it's a very decent program.

Thanks to the advances in the 3.0 firmware I'll probably be able to allow for a more persistent caching in the future (don't expect it for the next release, though)

Thorsten
Easily control your SoundBridge from your Windows PC or wireless PocketPC with VisualMR
tal

Postby dlmoc » Sat May 05, 2007 11:40 am

VisualMR is a great program, don't get me wrong. I use it often.

The thing about on2share is that you don't have to browse a server with it. You just look at your media library in winamp, play a song, and then on2share automatically broadcasts whatever winamp is playing directly to your soundbridge, playlist and everything. You don't have to use any second interface at all. That's the only thing I meant about being faster. VisualMR still beats the <The entropy of a perfect crystal, at absolute zero kelvin, is exactly equal to zero. - Third Law of Thermodynamics> out of using the remote.
Is there anyway with VisualMR to use the scroll wheel on the mouse when browsing through the jukebox? I can't seem to get that to work.

thanks
d
dlmoc

Postby tal » Sun May 06, 2007 7:02 am

dlmoc wrote: Is there anyway with VisualMR to use the scroll wheel on the mouse when browsing through the jukebox? I can't seem to get that to work.

Currently not, but I plan to add scroll wheel support in one of the next releases.

Cheers
Thorsten
Easily control your SoundBridge from your Windows PC or wireless PocketPC with VisualMR
tal

Return to SoundBridge Control and Integration