subtitles

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

subtitles

Postby ram1009 » Sat May 31, 2008 12:13 pm

The thing I miss most on Netflix streaming video is subtitles or CC. My hearing is terrible and I miss a lot of content if I can't read dialog occasionally. Why would they omit something so basic?
ram1009

Re: subtitles

Postby Wondercow » Sat May 31, 2008 12:48 pm

ram1009 wrote:The thing I miss most on Netflix streaming video is subtitles or CC. My hearing is terrible and I miss a lot of content if I can't read dialog occasionally. Why would they omit something so basic?

This has been cover many times in many different threads. In an effort to avoid redundancy (and a few trolls) I'll give you the gist of the situation and leave you to use the 'search' function fort more info.

Netflix doesn't offer any for of captioning in their media. Apparently, though, they've heard the suggestions of their users and would like to add captioning at a later date. Since Netflix doesn't stream captions the Roku player can't show them either. Roku has stated that when Netflix does offer captioning the box's firmware will updated to support it.
~Moo!
-----------------------
iTunes, iPod, iMac, iPhone, not Itunes, IPod, IMAC, iphone
MAC = Media Access Control while Mac = a brand of computers
Wondercow

Postby ram1009 » Sat May 31, 2008 1:44 pm

Sorry for the redundancy, I guess I forgotI was on the ROKU site and not the NETFLIX site. Let's hope they respond soon.
ram1009

Postby Wondercow » Sat May 31, 2008 2:15 pm

ram1009 wrote:Sorry for the redundancy, I guess I forgotI was on the ROKU site and not the NETFLIX site. Let's hope they respond soon.

No problem; it can hard to go through every post looking for topics already covered. The problem (to me, anyway) is that the previous discussions devolved into a mess, so I'm doing my part to let it not happen again :wink:
~Moo!
-----------------------
Wondercow

Postby boykster » Sat May 31, 2008 3:59 pm

And to follow up on this, some titles DO have subtitles. Check out the magnificent french film La Vie en Rose - it HAS subtitles - and they are encoded into the stream.

I don't know if it will ever be possible for netflix to offer streams with embedded subtitle "streams" that can be toggled on and off (ala dvd or mkv, etc), but who knows.
boykster

Postby plooger » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:22 pm

'The Orphanage', a 2007 Spanish film, also had subtitles embedded... but they were yellow and very difficult to read.

Here's hoping for the day when the subtitles are distinct entities and can be customized.
plooger

Postby jlsoaz » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:03 pm

plooger wrote:'The Orphanage', a 2007 Spanish film, also had subtitles embedded... but they were yellow and very difficult to read.

Here's hoping for the day when the subtitles are distinct entities and can be customized.

I have so far watched parts of three or four foreign films and have yet to encounter one that did not have English subtitles. One of them, an German production from the 70s apparently, has the subtitles annoyingly close to the bottom of the screen, but that's the worst problem I've had with this technical aspect so far.

So, if most or all foreign films tend to have English subtitles, it may be that a very inadequate workaround for Ram1009 will be to tend toward watching foreign films, in that their subtitles amount to closed captioning for the English-speaking hearing-impaired.

I do not agree with Wondercow's characterization of this topic as overdone in this forum. This forum is only a few weeks old, as far as I know, and I was able to get some good feedback on this topic in a thread I started a few days ago. It may be that there are many other threads covering it, though I haven't spotted that many. It's an important topic, I think, and so, to my eye, Ram1009's thread is welcome, even if there is a bit of repetitiveness.
jlsoaz

Postby ram1009 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:42 pm

I think what wondercow was trying to say is that ROKU has no control over CC or subtitles and he's right. Probably a better place to complain is Netflix's forum, if they have one. Personally, I don't know how they could have omitted something so basic. I thought the FCC had some regs to cover this.
ram1009

Postby Locke » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:54 am

First of all, FCC regulations regarding closed caption apply to broadcast television only. If you regularly watch DVDs I'm sure you've noticed that not every DVD is enabled with closed captioning. Neither the DVD manufacturer nor the movie studio releasing the content are breaking any laws by not including them.

Next, if the DVD being ripped does not even have the closed captioning on the disc there's no way for the streaming provider - in this case Netflix - to include captioning.

Finally, the stream being sent is a .wmv file. Now, someone correct me if I'm wrong but I've yet to find a captioning option in that media format. So, essentially the provider (Netflix) would have to obtain rights from the content owner (the movie studio) to encode a different version of the content that had either subtitles or captioning encoded into the video file.

Which would then open up a whole new argument with other groups of people: the millions of people that speak English as a second language - or not at all - clamoring that they should be given the ability to choose subtitles in a plethora of other languages all requiring either separate files for the same movie or huge jumps in the technology.

I'm sorry, its not as "basic" as you think.
Locke

Postby Wondercow » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:07 am

ram1009 wrote:I think what wondercow was trying to say is that ROKU has no control over CC or subtitles and he's right. Probably a better place to complain is Netflix's forum, if they have one.

:) Exactly. The Roku folks have stated that if Netflix offers captioning then a firmware update will support the new feature.

jlsoaz wrote:I do not agree with Wondercow's characterization of this topic as overdone in this forum.

Do you complain to Sony that CBS doesn't offer colourised verions of Leave it to Beaver? :?
~Moo!
-----------------------
Wondercow

Postby jlsoaz » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:20 pm

Wondercow wrote:
ram1009 wrote:I think what wondercow was trying to say is that ROKU has no control over CC or subtitles and he's right. Probably a better place to complain is Netflix's forum, if they have one.

:) Exactly. The Roku folks have stated that if Netflix offers captioning then a firmware update will support the new feature.

jlsoaz wrote:I do not agree with Wondercow's characterization of this topic as overdone in this forum.

Do you complain to Sony that CBS doesn't offer colourised verions of Leave it to Beaver? :?

Hello:

First, what I try to do is if a forum is new and the issues are new and the device or practice or other matter in question is new, then I try to learn and try to ask questions. I try to avoid getting on my own case or others' if they have ask questions which may have already recently been answered, given the difficulty sometimes in identifying key search words, or finding time to read through a forum, and so-on.

This is particularly true if all the matters are new and the forum is new.

Even if the forum is old and established, and it is all old-hat to some people, I still would avoid discouraging the opening of threads or discussion, except in some cases. This is partly on the general principle of being encouraging to other forum participants, as we are almost all here out of general strong enthusiasm for a great new device. To me it is a matter of practicing some form of the golden rule toward other web discussion participants. To some extent, it is perhaps worth adding, the repetition of topics and discussions is inherent to web-based discussion, and to some extent, all discussion. There are times when we wander in and want to go through the search efforts, and there are times when we just want to ask the question, when we don't have time or inclination to hunt down if there's an answer.

Next, in this particular case, I myself only got the answer in another thread a few days ago. This forum is (I think) new, and I think the issue is comparatively fresh, and so I hardly think the matter warrants a discussion-weary approach toward someone asking an innocent newbie question.

Yes, you are right that I and others should take it to Netflix discussion areas, when I have time, which I will definitely do. Netflix forums appear to be located here, and appear to require a separate signup.

http://community.netflix.com/forum

I may also continue to comment, on occasion, in discussions here on this board of the extent to which I think the service would be improved by better subtitle, captioning, bonus-audio-track and other-bonus-feature support.

Even if Roku is entirely dependent on content providers for progress on these matters, they may in some cases be able to benefit from hearing all feedback and may in some cases be able to use this feedback to negotiate for new content providers or changes with established content providers for what they would like to see from those content providers, as good partners with a common interest in satisfying customers.
jlsoaz

Postby Wondercow » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:59 pm

Wow, bad day?
jlsoaz wrote:First, what I try to do is if a forum is new ... then I try to learn and try to ask questions. I try to avoid getting on my own case or others' if they have ask questions which may have already recently been answered, given the difficulty sometimes in identifying key search words, or finding time to read through a forum, and so-on.

Which is exactly why I said:

"In an effort to avoid redundancy (and a few trolls) I'll give you the gist of the situation and leave you to use the 'search' function fort more info" and "No problem; it can hard to go through every post looking for topics already covered."
Even if the forum is old and established ... I still would avoid discouraging the opening of threads or discussion ... This is partly on the general principle of being encouraging to other forum participants ... To me it is a matter of practicing some form of the golden rule toward other web discussion participants. To some extent, it is perhaps worth adding, the repetition of topics and discussions is inherent to web-based discussion, and to some extent, all discussion ... I think the issue is comparatively fresh, and so I hardly think the matter warrants a discussion-weary approach toward someone asking an innocent newbie question.

Why have your back up about this? "In an effort to avoid redundancy" does not mean "shut the <The entropy of a perfect crystal, at absolute zero kelvin, is exactly equal to zero. - Third Law of Thermodynamics> up!" The phrase "I'll give you the gist of the situation" doesn't mean "there's a search function idiot! Go find the info on your own!" Please quote where I said anything resembling "you shouldn't have asked that question". Also please note that no one from the other discussions—except for me—added to this originally.
I may also continue to comment, on occasion, in discussions here on this board of the extent to which I think the service would be improved by better subtitle, captioning, bonus-audio-track and other-bonus-feature support.Even if Roku is entirely dependent on content providers for progress on these matters, they may in some cases be able to benefit from hearing all feedback and may in some cases be able to use this feedback to negotiate for new content providers or changes with established content providers for what they would like to see from those content providers, as good partners with a common interest in satisfying customers

Um, OK. Good for you? I could be wrong, but it sounds like you're "fighting back" against me saying "don't post on topics already covered or things that are out of Roku's control". The thing is, I never said nor implied either of those ideas. All I'm saying is that 1) Netflix needs to hear that there is demand and 2) Roku won't be able to say much more than "we know; when Netflix offers it we'l support it". That's all.

Please don't put words in my mouth or make my thoughts out to be what they clearly are not.
~Moo!
-----------------------
Wondercow

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion