Black Screen!

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Black Screen!

Postby mickel1138 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:22 pm

So I got my Roku today! Watch a few movies and LOVED IT. Especially when I found out there was a settings menu and you can set it to 16x9!

Then I started to watch a TV series, and a few minutes in the show, the screen went BLACK (not blue) and the remote did not respond, and the status light did a double blink (which repeated continuously).

I did a power-cycle, restarted, started the episode again, and a few minutes. Black screen again! Power-Cycled again, and then about 10 minutes of playing, I got a "can't connect yo your local network'. Which happened a few times before and is annoying, but better then the black screen.

Has anyone experienced similar issues? Hints, tips?

I'm connected wireless, have a good signal, 11g with WEP. HD-TV connected using HDMI. My bandwidth is always atleast 10mbps.

Thanks,

Mickel
mickel1138

Postby RokuJamesL » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:24 pm

Have you tried any other movies/shows?
RokuJamesL
Roku Engineering

Postby RokuAnthony » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:28 pm

The problem you are having is that your network connection is being dropped. Why this is happening, I am not sure.

One test would be to try it via ethernet, to see if it WiFi related or router related.

Another test would be to try turning off any other WiFi equipment you have.
RokuAnthony
El Jefe

Postby mickel1138 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:31 pm

I have had the "can't connect" before in the beginning, then I mode the MAC of the box the highest priority. And everything seemed fine.

I'm trying to get through episode 1 of battlestar galatica, and see how that goes, if i get another glitch, i'll try a different show.

So far so good.

Do you know what the double blink means James?

Mickel
mickel1138

Postby mickel1138 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:38 pm

Ok, happened again.

I was monitoring the connections, everything humming along, then "Checking Connection" and: "Can't connect"

M'gonna try a different show now.

Running the ethernet cable is a little tricky, my long cable is in use. If I get agrivated enough I may drag the box the the bedroom.

I'll report the results of watching something else.

Mickel
mickel1138

Postby RokuJamesL » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:42 pm

Actually, I didn't catch that you were getting "Checking Connection" originally. That means the box is losing it's network connection, which is what the blinking LED is saying.

What kind of broadband service do you have (DSL, cable, FIOS)? Also, what kind of router are you using? When you play something how many quality dots are you getting (1 through 4)? Finally, how far away is the box from the wireless router?
RokuJamesL
Roku Engineering

Postby mickel1138 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:55 pm

I have not seem anything less then 4 dots.

The router (not actualy router, but rather AP) is and Dlink-514. The actual router and DHCP is a Buffalo with Tomato firmware. That allows me to tune my QOS and priorities for my VOIP service.

If I make large jumps (FF) it takes a second for the NP to respond, then 4 dots.

So far no issues....

I was just about to report the number of connections and bandwidth, when I noticed there were only 4 connections (normally 50, most all port 80, during 'loading' stage). And then I lost the connection again.

So another movies doesn't seem to make a different. I have sat though a 90 minute movie without issues.

Yet another movie, at about 85kbps on 10 connections.

Am I boring you guys yet? Getting to technical? I have not experienced many issues with my Wifi, usually running two laptops, a Wii, PS3 on there without hick-ups. (No all at once, and definatly not now, only 1 more Wifi user)

Thanks,

Mickel
mickel1138

Postby mickel1138 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:07 pm

I'm doing a factory reset now, see what that does.

Needless to say, to issue remains.

Mickel
mickel1138

Postby mickel1138 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:12 pm

Ok, factory reset went fine.

Now I got a 'Checking Connection' while on the queue screen.

Can I panic now?

Mickel
mickel1138

Postby boykster » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:22 pm

I would try 2 things:

first, turn of QoS temporarily and try again, just to isolate your QoS settings as the culprit

second, I would, if at all possible, try a wired ethernet connection to determine if it is your wireless network that is causing the dropout, or your router/broadband connection.
boykster

Postby mickel1138 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:40 pm

For the Roku folks.

I notice the status light going to double blink during playback. Sometimes lasts for 2-3 minutes, then it turns to solid again.

Does the NP has a buffer? And if so how long?

So it's been running for 15 minutes, with the double blink (for 1-3 mins) appearing every few minutes, and back to solid.

I did a skip forward during the double-blink playback of about 10 minutes. It didn't like that, quality is 4 bars, but i'm still waiting for it to load (fill the bar.)

I'm going to disable my QOS also, after that i'll try a cable, but have to find a longer one first.

Mickel
mickel1138

Postby mickel1138 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:39 pm

GOOD!

It seems the issue has been resolved.

I disabled the QOS = no difference.

Then I took the box to the bedroom and hooked it up there, just to see I left it on wireless there. The router is about 3ft away. And NO MORE PROBLEMS.

So this was the issue, I put it on top of my Sattelite Box, and that wasn't smart. The FCC warns about this (rule 15), MAN, why does the FCC always have to be right! :lol:

Anyway, thanks to everyone, and the Roku team.

Lesson learned: Keep away from other devices (hard to do when you have so many, right now I have it next to the screen, is very small!) No more double blink light! The status light is continuous.

Mickel
mickel1138

Postby MCWHAMMER » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:17 pm

mickel1138 wrote:So this was the issue, I put it on top of my Sattelite Box, and that wasn't smart. The FCC warns about this (rule 15), MAN, why does the FCC always have to be right! :lol:

Anyway, thanks to everyone, and the Roku team.

Lesson learned: Keep away from other devices (hard to do when you have so many, right now I have it next to the screen, is very small!) No more double blink light! The status light is continuous.

Hmm, that's pretty interesting. I hate the FCC by the way, but I didn't think about the satellite set top box having an effect on the Netflix Box. I wonder how it would? Mine only has a telephone jack running to it to buy PPV and update times/etc.

And about the blinking lights, I haven't even paid any attention to that... I guess I should now :wink:
http://www.listia.com/?r=40548 - The Free eBay
http://twitter.com/streamingsoon
http://twitter.com/MattChance
MCWHAMMER

Postby RokuJamesL » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:32 pm

Wow, so there was some sort of interference from the satellite box?

That is very good information to know in case anyone else has weird connection issues. Glad you are up and running now.
RokuJamesL
Roku Engineering

Postby mickel1138 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:58 am

The interence could have come from the processor, spawning multiple harmonics, or the modulator (ch 3/4). Also the sat tuner oscilates from 900-2000mhz with harmonics (doubling of waves at half strength) ending up in the wifi band.

Either way, all is good now, it's always smart keep some space between devices. FCC rule 15 says interference can accur, and your equiptment has to deal with it. Buy your own device can produce as much interference as it likes.

Again solid light ever since!

Thanks again for the excelent support guys, i'm going to try and give some back.

Mickel
mickel1138

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion