I have two remotes, one is the LOGITECH HARMONY 300 and the other is UNIVERSAL REMOTE W7 (listed as URC-R7 on http://www.universalremote.com
, under the Support/FAQ/FAQ Discontinued section). I got both of my remotes working with the Roku XD.
On my Logitech remote, I used the VCR/Aux button as if it were the Roku XD device (e.g. similar to how you would set your TV or DVD device on the universal remote).
On my Universal Remote W7, I used the Aux button as the Roku XD button.
I programmed my Logitech Harmony 300 remote via my pc, under Windows 7 (using the usb cable and Harmony Console software). If there were any buttons I needed to program on the Harmony 300 remote, I was able to do so.
Regarding the Universal Remote W7, which I just got recently, I had a heck of a time figuring out how to program the remote but I finally got it to work!
Here's the steps I went through for programming the Roku XD remote control buttons on the Universal Remote W7 remote:
1) Press and Hold Aux, and then press and hold Enter, on the W7 Remote. After a few seconds, the W7 Aux button stays lit. Release both buttons.
2) Choose a button to be programmed on the W7 remote, and then press and release this button. For example, I started with programming the Menu key on the W7 Remote so it will function like the Home (or house symbol) button on the Roku XD remote. I will use this Home (or house symbol) button example
during the next few steps.
3) Line up both remotes so there infrared sensors are close to one another (front of remote on Roku XD remote facing front of W7 remote). Press and hold down the Home (or house symbol) on the Roku XD remote until the W7
Aux button flashes 2 times. Release the House button on the Roku XD remote.
4) Press the Enter button on the W7 Remote (yes, the Enter button). The W7 Aux button may flash about 5 times really fast. The W7 Aux button will stay lit.
5) Press and hold the W7 Aux button. It should flash 4 times. The W7 Aux button will stay lit. NOTE: You may need to press and release the W7 during round 2, if press and hold doesn't work. You can always
start these steps over by waiting 30 seconds OR by holding and pressing Aux and Enter at the same time on the W7 remote.
6) Press and hold the W7 Aux button, and then press and hold the W7 Enter button. The W7 Aux button should flash four times and then the W7 Aux button will no longer be lit. Release both buttons.
FYI: Steps 4 - 6 are different from what the Universal Remote W7 Manual says to do. I had even contacted email@example.com
, and they told me to do what the manual quoted. Sometimes I had to repeat the programming sequence of Steps 1 - 6 two or three times before the Universal Remote would accept the Roku XD remote command, but it finally worked.
My Universal Remote W7 works fine now. I programmed most of the buttons on my W7 remote similar to those of the Roku XD.