Universal remote code

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Universal remote code

Postby dover » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:08 pm

Does anyone know the universal remote device code for the ROKU Netflix player? My remote does not learn but will function if the correct code is programmed.
Thank you.
dover

Postby mephiska » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:37 pm

Kinda doubtful it'd work on a non programmable remote, especially since you didn't say what brand of remote you're using. That and the fact that this is a totally new device that the universal remote manufacturers haven't had a chance to incorporate codes for.

That said, it works great with my Harmony remote, just select PVR as the device, roku as the mfg and model N1000.
mephiska

Postby Papajo » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:56 pm

Some of the universal remotes will do a automatic scan of all codes until it finds the one meant for your model, not sure if it would work with Roku thought.
I'm using a Home Theather Master learning remote MX-500, I can program the codes in myself.
If all else fails call support.
Joseph Priolo
Papajo

Postby Arthur L. Friedman » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:31 pm

Logitech 550 works fine with the Roku box. Device is a PVR, Man = Roku, and device no. =N1000-02
Arthur L. Friedman

Postby plooger » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:32 am

I have a similar need (hope) for a device code for the Roku Netflix Player for my universal remote control, a One-for-All model URC-6131, but expect my only option will be shipping the remote to OFA for an "upgrade."
plooger

Postby Papajo » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:01 am

Has anyone tried calling support, would be interesting to see what they say.
Joseph Priolo
Papajo

Postby elorimer » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:27 am

plooger wrote:I have a similar need (hope) for a device code for the Roku Netflix Player for my universal remote control, a One-for-All model URC-6131, but expect my only option will be shipping the remote to OFA for an "upgrade."

I assume it is unmodded? If you look in the battery compartment, does it have six holes or six pins? If it has pins it may have had an EEPROM soldered in and you can do a JP1 upgrade.

I don't think it is likely that you will find a pre-existing code in any universal non-learning remote, although I would be happy to be wrong. There will be tons of codes that speak the NEC protocol, but I doubt the "play" button will say "Roku Box:Play". More likely it will say "Hal: Open the Pod Bay Doors".

Radio Shack has a learning remote on sale for $15, although it is nowhere near as elegant looking as the 6131.
elorimer

Postby plooger » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:44 am

elorimer wrote:I assume it is unmodded? If you look in the battery compartment, does it have six holes or six pins? If it has pins it may have had an EEPROM soldered in and you can do a JP1 upgrade.

Yeah, it's an unmodded version... thus the requirement to ship it back to OFA if I want it prog'd for the Roku. My hope was that the Roku device/remote was piggyback'ing another device's codes and so I could lie to the OFA URC-6131 as a means to get the minimal set of buttons working. (Similar to how you can use the RCA DVD/VCR codes in the URC-6131 to mimic the legacy Xbox DVD remote control and Media Center Extender remote control.)

Radio Shack has a learning remote on sale for $15, although it is nowhere near as elegant looking as the 6131.

Yeah, but my dilemma is 13 existing URC-6131 remotes across 3 households where a Roku NP might reside, so I was keeping my fingers crossed, however improbable, for the longshot code. C'est la vie. One extra remote won't be so problematic.
plooger

Postby elorimer » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:07 am

I looked through the devices.xls file at the JP1 forum of all known UEI remote codes and found only one NEC protocol with a device code of 190; it had the wrong subdevice.
plooger wrote:
Yeah, but my dilemma is 13 existing URC-6131 remotes across 3 households where a Roku NP might reside, so I was keeping my fingers crossed, however improbable, for the longshot code. C'est la vie. One extra remote won't be so problematic.

I know what you mean. There are five TVs in 3 households where my wife or I might sit down to operate things (grandparent duty). I have five JP1 remotes of various types with macros and discrete codes that all operate the exact same way regardless of the equipment. But I frequently change things around so I have to reprogram them. For example, my receiver is out of optical inputs so I'm going to swap it out with a different one that has HDMI inputs and set that up for the Roku box.

With 13 you might consider soldering the EEPROMs and headers into them to make them JP1-able.
elorimer

MX-500 is a learning remote

Postby de » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:15 pm

MX-500 is a learning remote. Online manual explains the learning portion. Calling support at Universal has worked for me previously. I was sent a refurbished replacement remote.

My Roku arrived today. I had to relearn how to set up the MX-500 in order to set up a macro for my TV to get to the Roku unit and also to edit the text. It took me about 30 minutes. The learning portion works great. The signal for the Roku emitted from the MX-500 is very strong as the Roku seems extremely responsive.

BTW, I started to watch a movie that says it has HD quality and it is beautiful. Haven't tried anything else yet. :D
de

Re: Universal remote code

Postby saywhatokwhat » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:18 am

I have two remotes, one is the LOGITECH HARMONY 300 and the other is UNIVERSAL REMOTE W7 (listed as URC-R7 on http://www.universalremote.com, under the Support/FAQ/FAQ Discontinued section). I got both of my remotes working with the Roku XD.

On my Logitech remote, I used the VCR/Aux button as if it were the Roku XD device (e.g. similar to how you would set your TV or DVD device on the universal remote).
On my Universal Remote W7, I used the Aux button as the Roku XD button.

I programmed my Logitech Harmony 300 remote via my pc, under Windows 7 (using the usb cable and Harmony Console software). If there were any buttons I needed to program on the Harmony 300 remote, I was able to do so.

Regarding the Universal Remote W7, which I just got recently, I had a heck of a time figuring out how to program the remote but I finally got it to work!

Here's the steps I went through for programming the Roku XD remote control buttons on the Universal Remote W7 remote:

1) Press and Hold Aux, and then press and hold Enter, on the W7 Remote. After a few seconds, the W7 Aux button stays lit. Release both buttons.
2) Choose a button to be programmed on the W7 remote, and then press and release this button.
For example, I started with programming the Menu key on the W7 Remote so it will function like the Home (or house symbol) button on the Roku XD remote. I will use this Home (or house symbol) button example
during the next few steps.

3) Line up both remotes so there infrared sensors are close to one another (front of remote on Roku XD remote facing front of W7 remote). Press and hold down the Home (or house symbol) on the Roku XD remote until the W7
Aux button flashes 2 times. Release the House button on the Roku XD remote.
4) Press the Enter button on the W7 Remote (yes, the Enter button). The W7 Aux button may flash about 5 times really fast. The W7 Aux button will stay lit.
5) Press and hold the W7 Aux button. It should flash 4 times. The W7 Aux button will stay lit. NOTE: You may need to press and release the W7 during round 2, if press and hold doesn't work. You can always
start these steps over by waiting 30 seconds OR by holding and pressing Aux and Enter at the same time on the W7 remote.

6) Press and hold the W7 Aux button, and then press and hold the W7 Enter button. The W7 Aux button should flash four times and then the W7 Aux button will no longer be lit. Release both buttons.

FYI: Steps 4 - 6 are different from what the Universal Remote W7 Manual says to do. I had even contacted techsupport@universalremote.com, and they told me to do what the manual quoted. Sometimes I had to repeat the programming sequence of Steps 1 - 6 two or three times before the Universal Remote would accept the Roku XD remote command, but it finally worked.

My Universal Remote W7 works fine now. I programmed most of the buttons on my W7 remote similar to those of the Roku XD.
Last edited by saywhatokwhat on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
saywhatokwhat

Re: Universal remote code

Postby socantra » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:24 am

Please Read the forum rules and refrain from necroposting. This thread has been dead for almost 4 years.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=38665
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion