ReadyNAS Duo UPnP Server + Soundbridge = "Can't Play 'S

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

ReadyNAS Duo UPnP Server + Soundbridge = "Can't Play 'S

Postby aussie.bdp » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:45 pm

Hi

I recently expanded my network to add a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo and a 2nd Gigabit wrieless router and while I can get the Firefly server on the NAS to work with Soundbridge when I try to use the UPnP server on the NAS the soundbridge can connect to the library and browse the songs but when I try to play a song (all WMA format) all I get is the "Can't Play SONGNAME" message. I have turned off all the firewalls in the network (incl both routers) but that made no difference. I also tried serving the same files (located on the NAS) via NevoMedia Server and that works fine. Also I can play them with WMP.

The ReadyNAS explicitly says it supports the Soundbridge - and I guess it does given Firefly works fine - however I am using a NevoSL remote and would like to use the UPnP media environment if I can.

Any suggestions? (All the equipment is using latest software release levels).

Setup:
ReadyNAS Duo (Firefly & UPnP Servers active)
Soundbridge
Linksys WRT310N and Linksys WRT54G routers
Multiple notebooks
NevoSL Remote and NevoLink
Linksys Wireless Print Server
aussie.bdp

Postby cgjones » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:57 pm

Having very similar problems here.

Nevo SL Media Zones has never worked brilliantly but since upgrading to 3.0.51 firmware on the Soundbridge the Media Zones don't even light up.

I think most of the problem is with the Nevo SL and the fact that the firmware and Nevo Studio has not been released with any updates for over a year. They seem to be putting all efforts into the new Nevo remotes instead.
cgjones

Postby aussie.bdp » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:58 pm

In this case it's not just the Nevo though because even with it out of the equation I still get the same message - just using the soundbridge with its own remote.
aussie.bdp

Postby rabbit » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:02 pm

I'm having the same problem here. I just installed a ReadyNAS Duo. Using the Upnp server supplied with the Duo, the Soundbridge lists the music data but fails to play it. :?
rabbit

Postby peol » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:57 am

Same problem with ReadyNas Duo. Music data seen on Soundbridge through UPnP but fails to play. Firefly server running but won't show up on the Soundbridge.
Firefly is however showing up on PC and Mac running iTunes and songs play.
peol

Postby rabbit » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:32 am

My workaround was to install the TwonkyMedia server add-on to the Duo. It works fine on both the SB and my Philips NP1100. The downside is that I will have to pay the license fee for it when the 30 day trial period expires. I would much rather be able to use the supplied media server on the Duo for both. Can anyone help with information on how to get the Duo media server to work on the SB?
rabbit

Postby stretch » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:04 am

peol wrote:Firefly server running but won't show up on the Soundbridge.
Firefly is however showing up on PC and Mac running iTunes and songs play.
This usually indicates that your router is blocking multicasting.
Firefly uses multicast packets to advertise itself across the network.
Many newer routers prevent multicast packets from passing between the wired & wireless portions of your network.

In your router settings you need to look for something like "multicast", "IGMP", etc... and adjust the settings accordingly. Run a search on this forum to find more info.
2 x M2000's
Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ with Firefly svn-1676
NSLU2, 500GB Maxtor One Touch III, uNSLUng 6.8, Firefly svn-1696
music library in FLAC format
stretch

Postby rabbit » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:55 am

Does anyone have a solution for the ReadyNAS UPnp server not playing on the Soundbridge? I have not been able to get it to work and have also posted on the NetGear forum, to no avail.
rabbit

Postby stretch » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:00 pm

Have you tried using Firefly instead of the UPnP server?

I didn't see your post on the readynas forum http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=22
2 x M2000's
Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ with Firefly svn-1676
NSLU2, 500GB Maxtor One Touch III, uNSLUng 6.8, Firefly svn-1696
music library in FLAC format
stretch

Postby rabbit » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:12 am

oops, I did not yet post over there, but I will now. Yes I use Firefly, and I also have TwonkyMedia. I finally figured out that Firefly is the "ITunes Streaming Server" supplied on the ReadyNAS Duo. Firefly is great for the Roku Soundbridge (it even plays FLAC), however I also have a Philips NP1100 (which I bought before I realized that it does not not play FLAC, though it does play WAV files, and before I realized that FLAC is the way to go.....I've had a very steep learning curve and I'm still zeroing in on the right combination of all these complicated elements). btw...I discovered that the UPnP A/V Server supplied on the ReadyNAS Duo is supplied by Fuppes (http://fuppes.ulrich-voelkel.de/). I've reviewed their site and found nothing to help me (but I'm no techie). Unfortunately none of these 3 servers work with both my Soundbridge or the Philips NP1100. I may just get another Soundbridge. :wink:
rabbit

Postby rabbit » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:54 pm

Bueller... Bueller??
rabbit

Postby rabbit » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:43 pm

All, I think I solved my problem: The ReadyNAS AV server (Fuppes) does indeed serve most formats to my Soundbridge. It does not, as configured out of the box, transcode FLAC to WAV. Most of my files are in FLAC. I am trying to figure out how to resolve that. Please see my related posts:

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic ... 22&t=22911

http://fuppes.ulrich-voelkel.de/forum/v ... ?f=2&t=349
rabbit

Return to SoundBridge General Discussion