Can't Connect to Internet

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Can't connect to the Internet

Postby bvermont » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:33 pm

So my player was working fine for a couple of days, then suddenly it froze and when I restarted it, it could no longer connect to the internet, though it could connect to my wireless network. I tried a factory reset, still no luck. I sent a ping to the address given above and it worked fine. Then I turned off my router, reset it, and presto chango, I can connect to the internet again. Any thoughts? Is this going to keep happening? Otherwise I'm very happy with the player.
bvermont

Postby kive » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:29 am

RokuTaylor wrote:Hi Wolfie,
Well we know that the player is definitely compatible with at least some revisions of that router. So we'll need to figure out if it's settings or configuration.
The internet dot is doing it's verification by trying to do a DNS resolve to moviecontrol.netflix.com
From a computer connected to that router, open a command window and type:

"ping -a moviecontrol.netflix.com"

See if it resolves. The response should show an IP address.

If that fails, we'll need to look at DNS settings. If it works, it's on to trying other things.

Was unable to connect via wireless or wired. Got an RMA box - same issue. Troubleshooting further revealed that of the three DNS servers that I specify in my DHCP server, the first was unresponsive. The Roku box behaves poorly in that it won't fail and check the next server that it is told about - even though it is working properly.

Manually remove the non-working DNS server from the DHCP info, and the Roku box works just fine, downloads an update, etc...

Might I recommend that RMA boxes ship with updated firmware? :P

-Chris
kive

Roku Netflix player can't connect to the internet

Postby chickenchimi » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:18 pm

I always use these forums but don't do my part to give back. I had a similar problem to bvermont's. I have a brand new player I just attempted to activate within the last two hours. It connected to the network, acquired an IP address, but could not connect to the internet. The recommendation on the WRTG54 to enter 208.67.222.222 to DNS 1 worked like a charm.
chickenchimi

Postby chelsealiz » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:50 pm

How do I change the DNS? I don't know anything about computers... totally confused! Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
chelsealiz

Postby chelsealiz » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:03 pm

ooh, I think I figured it out! :lol:
chelsealiz

Postby trimore » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:11 pm

When I originally got my Linksys WRT54G2 router I was able to hook up with the Roku immediately. I watched multiple shows with no issues or slowdowns.

I recently had some internet connection issues and had to reset my modem and router. Since I have done that, I have not been able to connect the Roku to my WiFi router. I have tried everything mentioned in this thread and I am at a loss. It should be noted that I can connect my printer to my WiFi and it works fine. So it has to be something between the Roku and the WiFi router.

It should be noted that I am not using a Static IP address so maybe that is part of the problem there?

I am just totally perplexed to why it would work before the reset and then not work anymore.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
trimore

Re: Can't Connect to Internet

Postby jackman » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:40 pm

I'd like to offer my thanks to those that have posted to this thread. My Roku has been working flawlessly for over 2 years. Then all of a sudden today it quit with the "Can't connect to the Internet" message. Of course everything else on my home network was working just fine. It was only the Roku that failed to connect.

After reading thru this thread I changed my router's first DNS entry to the IP of the OpenDNS servers and WAH-LA it works again! I suspect that the DNS server at my small, rural, local ISP has quit and the Roku does not like to use a backup DNS.

Curious to say the least and thanks again all for the info in this thread.
jackman

Postby strebor71 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:00 pm

I have tried all of the suggestions in this topic and still no connection to internet. It was working fine for several days. just stopped being able to connect to internet. i am using a WRT54G with DD-WRT v24-sp2 firmware on it. Any suggestions would be nice.

*** just an update - After doing all of the suggestions mentioned, Ping, OpenDNS, Factory reset, what finally got it connected again was 1.unplugging the roku 2.unplugged my router, 3.reset my bridge (the device i use to get wireless internet from my friend down the street), then- 4.plugged in the router and let it boot fully (waited till laptop connected and i could see its dhcp leases), 5.plugged in the roku. It started up and led me through the device set up and seems to be working again. not sure if it was just a coincidence that the order i did this in worked or what because i did all of the same things several different times with no success. Anyway, i figured I should at least post my solution.
strebor71

Postby Jeffenator » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:36 am

I just went through this ordeal with Roku. Their online support staff were very knowledgeable and courteous. What they instructed me to do was input DNS server values into the settings for my router. Now I know that sounds crazy and impossible if you are as technicapped as I am, but stay with me. What it means is putting some numbers in some boxes, on a web page. The webpage is actually the settings page for your wireless router, but that doesn't matter. I use a Linksys NetGear WRT54G v1 router - FYI.

Here it is, step by step. It is no more difficult than buying something online.
*You can repeat this process without actually being online, you just have to open your browser.

First: RELAX! BREATH DEEPLY.

Second: While keeping this window open for reference, open another browser tab or window.

Third: In the address box at the top of the new tab (not the search box,) type:
"http://192.168.1.1" (Without the quotes! They are there so you can copy the address.)
*This opens the settings for your wireless router.

You should see a request for a user name and a password.
For user name type "Admin" (No quotes.)
For password type "admin" (Again...)
This should open what looks like a web page, with a lot of places to put numbers. It probably says "Linksys," at the top.

If you can't log in, you may have set a password and user name yourself. If you can't remember it, push the tiny reset button on the back of your wireless router for 30 seconds. Let it reboot and try all this again. *If you have to do that you might print this for reference, because you might not be able to get back on line right away. Relax/Breath. We can do this.

You will see tabs at the top of the page. We are looking for the "basic setup" tab. On my router the appropriate tab comes up by default. Scroll down the middle of the page until you find boxes that are labeled "Static DNS 1," and "static DNS 2." Following each will be four boxes for inputting numbers. They will probably have zeros in them.

In the boxes for "Static DNS 1" input these numbers: 208. 67. 220. 220 (one set in each box - no dots.)

In the boxes for "Static DNS 2" input these numbers: 208. 67. 222. 222 (one set in each box - no dots.)

Lastly: Click on "Save settings," at the bottom of the page-BUT WAIT! *When you click this button it may shut down your internet. Relax. Take a deep breath. Get a drink of water. It's going to work.

First of all, my changes did not save the first two times I did this and of course, it didn't work. When the changes were saved, I actually got a message saying that my changes were saved successfully. After this I rebooted everything and now it all works beautifully. *You can repeat this process without actually being online, you just have to open your browser.

Also, your junk may stop logging onto the internet momentarily. This is okay, just reboot everything, and wait. Most modern equipment will find the new network. It will work unless you have another problem. Firewall? WEP security code? Mwahahahah!

You may need to reset your Wii/Roku/Wireless device to the new network through their respective settings interfaces. I won't go into that because if you have gotten this far, you know all about it. What you will have is a new generic network, with settings for specific Global DNS values, but who cares! If you need to secure your wireless connection you may need further study on WEP, lol.
Jeffenator

Postby getlitleye » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:08 am

Hello...

I have same issue before couple of day like i can't connect to internet at that time i have seen my IP address which are wrong and i solved easily my issues. You can also check out your IP Address.
getlitleye

Postby KG1019 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:36 am

Hi, I am having the same issue. My Roku player connected to the internet via wired connection for the past 2-3 weeks. Suddenly, it stopped connecting. A different point in my case is I am connected to a University campus network through a ethernet port on the wall. So, I am not sure if I can change my own DNS settings. And, yeah the same port works well with my laptop. Any suggestions?
KG1019

Postby jwallphoto » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:01 pm

It's July 2014, but this thread from three years ago finally seems to have helped me, and I wanted to say THANK YOU! Roku support failed. AT&T Uverse support (all three levels) failed. I finally tried adding an Open DNS server to the "alternate" DNS slot and suddenly I can connect to the internet. Funny, but I have the Streaming Stick and at first had no problem connecting. Then I started having occasional problems, and finally I couldn't log on at all anymore. The device would connect to the wireless and the local network, but fail to connect to the internet. I used http://www.plus.net/support/software/dns/changing_dns_vista.shtml to learn how add the DNS server on my Vista machine. Thanks again!
jwallphoto

Previous

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion