Programming Univeral Remote for Roku box

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Programming Univeral Remote for Roku box

Postby QuantumIguana » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:41 pm

I'd like to program my universal remote to control the Roku box. My remote is made by Insignia, model 66700ABA2-039-R. Are there remote codes for the Roku box? My remote can control four devices; it has buttons for TV, Cable, DVD and Aux. Obviouly, the TV button is in use, and I use the Aux button for the VCR. Can I use the Cable button?
QuantumIguana

Re: Programming Univeral Remote for Roku box

Postby Robert99 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:50 am

QuantumIguana wrote:Are there remote codes for the Roku box?

I would doubt it. My experience is that if your device is newer than when the remote was designed (much less made or purchased), your chances of finding a correct code are pretty marginal. And since the NetFlix Player hasn't been around that long, it's a little doubtful that the remote makers already have "codes" for it...

However, sometimes the new devices reuse "codes" from other (older) devices. While I have no idea if ROKU did this with their "Player", you could always search for a proper "code" if your remote has a "code search" feature (where you keep hitting keys until your device responds, and then read out the "code" from the remote). I'm not convinced that would work, but IMHO you have nothing to lose (except your time) by trying.

Of course, if you get some higher end "universal remote" that has the "learning" feature (where you not only can program via "codes", but also by "training" the remote to mimic signals from other remotes), you certainly can "train" such a remote to mimic the NetFlix Player's remote. In fact, that's what I did at my house, as we have a couple remotes (I think they were about $20/each, i.e. neither the cheapest nor the most expensive universal remote models) that not only will let you program via "codes", as well as the "code search" feature, but also (if you so desire) let you tell the remote to exactly mimic another remote. This is a little tedious to setup, as you have to "train" each button press one at a time, but if/when your remote has a "learning" feature it can be "trained" (one button at a time) to mimic the signals from the NetFlix Player's remote. And once such a remote is "trained", you can then use that universal remote instead of the one that comes with the NetFlix Player (and also use that universal remote for any other devices you like).
Robert99

Postby elorimer » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:49 am

Actually, there may be some hope. That looks to be a UEI remote so it is possible it is an undocumented learning remote. (Also, see if there is a six pin connector in the battery compartment--then you could JP1 it.) The bible is at www.hifi-remote.com. Try to learn a key from the Roku remote:

1. PRESS and HOLD the SETUP button until the red LED flashes twice.
2. PRESS 9 - 7 - 5, the red LED will flash twice.
3. PRESS the DEVICE key where you wish to learn the function.

The next 3 steps must be completed within 10 seconds.
4. PRESS the button that will receive the learned function, the LED will flash radidly.
5. PRESS the button on the original remote to be learned.

If that works then you can learn all the other keys.

Or pick up a learning remote at radio shack for $15.
elorimer

Re: Programming Univeral Remote for Roku box

Postby DoomsDay » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:39 pm

Robert99 wrote:
QuantumIguana wrote:Are there remote codes for the Roku box?

I would doubt it. My experience is that if your device is newer than when the remote was designed (much less made or purchased), your chances of finding a correct code are pretty marginal. And since the NetFlix Player hasn't been around that long, it's a little doubtful that the remote makers already have "codes" for it...

However, sometimes the new devices reuse "codes" from other (older) devices. While I have no idea if ROKU did this with their "Player", you could always search for a proper "code" if your remote has a "code search" feature (where you keep hitting keys until your device responds, and then read out the "code" from the remote). I'm not convinced that would work, but IMHO you have nothing to lose (except your time) by trying.

Of course, if you get some higher end "universal remote" that has the "learning" feature (where you not only can program via "codes", but also by "training" the remote to mimic signals from other remotes), you certainly can "train" such a remote to mimic the NetFlix Player's remote. In fact, that's what I did at my house, as we have a couple remotes (I think they were about $20/each, i.e. neither the cheapest nor the most expensive universal remote models) that not only will let you program via "codes", as well as the "code search" feature, but also (if you so desire) let you tell the remote to exactly mimic another remote. This is a little tedious to setup, as you have to "train" each button press one at a time, but if/when your remote has a "learning" feature it can be "trained" (one button at a time) to mimic the signals from the NetFlix Player's remote. And once such a remote is "trained", you can then use that universal remote instead of the one that comes with the NetFlix Player (and also use that universal remote for any other devices you like).

The harmony remotes have the roku already listed in their database. Under model number N1000.
DoomsDay

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion