SlingBox to Roku Remote IR Code Needed

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

SlingBox to Roku Remote IR Code Needed

Postby LastOne » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:32 pm

I have a SlingBox which allows me to view My Directv and DVD player on my PC any where I have an internet connection. i am able to connect the roku box, but I need to know what the IR code is for the remote in order for the SlingBox to be able to control the Roku box. Is there ayone out there that has figured out what the code is for the remote control for the Roku box yet.

Thanks for the help with this issue.
LastOne

Postby elorimer » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:27 am

If you search the forum for "slingbox" you will find a long thread on this.
elorimer

Re: SlingBox to Roku Remote IR Code Needed

Postby KennyJ » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:42 am

LastOne wrote:I have a SlingBox which allows me to view My Directv and DVD player on my PC any where I have an internet connection. i am able to connect the roku box, but I need to know what the IR code is for the remote in order for the SlingBox to be able to control the Roku box. Is there ayone out there that has figured out what the code is for the remote control for the Roku box yet.

Couldn't you just watch the movies through the Netflix website? Or do you not have Windows?
KennyJ

Postby LastOne » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:04 am

Cause it's basically like having a library of movies, but with HD quality and it works like a DVD player. I guess it's just more convenient than using a PC.
LastOne

Postby KennyJ » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:22 pm

LastOne wrote:Cause it's basically like having a library of movies, but with HD quality and it works like a DVD player. I guess it's just more convenient than using a PC.

I guess I'm confused, I thought you said you were watching your DirectTV and DVD on your PC through via the Slingbox. If you're watching on your PC anyway, why not just log on to Netflix's website to see your Netflix Instant Queue instead of connecting the Roku to the Slingbox.
KennyJ

Postby miltonbell » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:46 pm

KennyJ wrote:
LastOne wrote:Cause it's basically like having a library of movies, but with HD quality and it works like a DVD player. I guess it's just more convenient than using a PC.

I guess I'm confused, I thought you said you were watching your DirectTV and DVD on your PC through via the Slingbox. If you're watching on your PC anyway, why not just log on to Netflix's website to see your Netflix Instant Queue instead of connecting the Roku to the Slingbox.

There are several reason to have the Roku hooked to the slingbox but the main one is that Netflix does not allow there site to be view outside of the USA so there for that is the main reason for the slingbox....I hope this clears up some of the confusion for you. Yes if I am in the USA I do perfer to watch my netflix from the TV with the Roku but most of the time I will use the internet. but I have got so use to watching with my slingbox that I use it as well as the picture quality is very good.
miltonbell

Postby slingme » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:00 am

LastOne wrote:I have a SlingBox which allows me to view My Directv and DVD player on my PC any where I have an internet connection. i am able to connect the roku box, but I need to know what the IR code is for the remote in order for the SlingBox to be able to control the Roku box. Is there ayone out there that has figured out what the code is for the remote control for the Roku box yet.

You don't need the IR code, just an IR emitter. I have a Slingbox Solo which is connected to my Roku (via the component RGB RCA cables for video) and also connected to my DirecTV DVR (via the S-video cable). I then connect two sets of audio Red & White cables, one from the Roku and one from the DirecTV DVR to a double Y-cable which connects to the Slingbox Solo audio input. My standard IR emitter cable from the Slingbox has two "fingers", normally to attach on the top and bottom of your cable box, etc. However I use one "finger" each for the DirecTV DVR and Roku. I can now control the Roku and the DVR from my Slingbox player software on my PC/laptop. This allows me to watch TV and DVR recordings as well as Netflix, Pandora, etc, outside the U.S.A. Just remember to turn off your DirecTV DVR or other TV source when using the Roku player so the the TV sound doesn't interfere with the Roku sound. You can also use the composite video in place of the component video.

Use the Slingbox player Settings/Setup Assistant function to define the two devices (Roku and DirecTV as in my case) and then use Connect/Video Input to choose the device you want to watch.

I now can control 2 devices from a Slingbox Solo and watch my Netflix Instant library outside the U.S.A. And with the S-video output and headphone output from my laptop connected to my TV I can watch everything on the big screen.
slingme

Postby markmagana » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:54 pm

use "Roku Roku (VHS)" for remote control for the Roku
markmagana

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion