New! TVPlay v.05 - HDHomeRun Client for the Roku PhotoBridge

Discuss your favorite third-party applications for the PhotoBridge HD.

Moderators: TheEndless, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

New! TVPlay v.05 - HDHomeRun Client for the Roku PhotoBridge

Postby TheEndless » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:30 pm

I've posted a new version of TVPlay. This new version has only been tested with the latest version of the HDHomeRun firmware (20070109). It may or may not work with older versions.

Features
Channel Scan
TVPlay will automatically scan for channels the first time it's run. This initial scan can take up to 30 minutes to complete. If you've used TVPlay in the past, and already have a channels.tv file, it will automatically be converted to the new format.

Channel Surfing
Pressing the Zoom In and Zoom Out buttons on the remote will change to the next or previous channel.

Channel Browse
While watching a channel, you can now press the up or down buttons on the remote to browse through the available channels without changing the current channel. Pressing select will change to the selected channel.

Channel Add/Remove
While browsing through the channels, pressing the Play/Pause button on the remote with disable or enable the currently selected channel. Disabled channels appear in red, while enabled channels appear in green. Upon restarting TVPlay, any disabled channels will no longer be available for browsing.

Zoom Modes
Pressing the Rotate button on the remote will cycle through 6 different zoom modes.

Tuner "In Use" Detection
TVPlay will automatically check to see if a tuner is in use by another client before changing channels. If the tuner is in use, a message will be displayed to that effect.

Command Line Options
Specify Device ID
The command line options have changed. You can now specify the HDHomeRun device id with the -ID=xxxxxxxx flag. If no ID is specified, TVPlay will use the first HDHomeRun it finds.

Disable Scanning of Certain Channel Maps
By default, TVPlay will scan all channel maps on each tuner. You can specify which channel maps should not be scanned on each tuner with the following flags: -NoOTAOn0, -NoOTAOn1, -NoCableOn0, -NoCableOn1, -NoIRCOn0, -NoIRCOn1, -NoHRCOn0, -NoHRCOn1.

You can download the new version here: http://www.permanence.com/TVPlay/files/TVPlay_v05.zip

As always, all questions, comments, and suggestions are welcomed.

TheEndless
Last edited by TheEndless on Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby waynedunham » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:25 pm

Hi,
Just posted a reply to your announcement over on Silicon Dust but figured I'd say it here also.

The update sounds AWESOME!! Just downloaded it and will hopefully give it a try later tonight or tomorrow.
Wayne Dunham
waynedunham

TVPlay 0.5

Postby Bgrubb1 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:34 pm

Endless
As usual, phenomenal code. Really love the up/down to another channel
All works as advertised. Only issue I still have is the Audio drop(goes away till channel change issue). I don't see that issue with VLC or GB-PVR talking to the HDHomerun, so I am sure its a Photobridge thing. Is that fixable ????
Thanks again for the phenomenal code
...Barry
Bgrubb1

Re: TVPlay 0.5

Postby TheEndless » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:12 pm

Bgrubb1 wrote:Endless
As usual, phenomenal code. Really love the up/down to another channel
All works as advertised. Only issue I still have is the Audio drop(goes away till channel change issue). I don't see that issue with VLC or GB-PVR talking to the HDHomerun, so I am sure its a Photobridge thing. Is that fixable ????
Thanks again for the phenomenal code
...Barry

Hrmm.. I've never seen that. Try pressing the Menu button when this happens. That should attempt to resync the audio.

TheEndless
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

TVPlay 0.5

Postby Bgrubb1 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:38 am

Endless
Didn't know about the menu button doing a re-sync. That does seem to work. Is their a way to prevent, or a suggestion on a way to capture the failure mode for you ???
..Barry
Bgrubb1

Re: TVPlay 0.5

Postby TheEndless » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:52 am

Didn't know about the menu button doing a re-sync. That does seem to work. Is their a way to prevent, or a suggestion on a way to capture the failure mode for you ???
..Barry

Not really. If you're losing audio, it's the internal decoder that's dropping it. I don't know of any way to detect that the audio has stopped from this side of the SDK. Can you use hdhomerun_config to get the debug information for the tuner after this happens? It could be a drop in packets that VLC is smart enough to recover from, while the Roku isn't.

TheEndless
TheEndless

tuner debug info

Postby Bgrubb1 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:46 pm

Endless
After the audio drop (video is fine, no digital audio out) the debug info from the tuner (tuner0) is

C:\Documents and Settings\Barry\Desktop\hdhomerun_config_win32_20070105>hdhomerun_config 10100DAF get /tuner0/debug

tun: ch=8vsb:36 lock=8vsb ss=100 snq=95 seq=100

dev: resync=60 overflow=0

ts: bps=19391072 ut=96 te=6431 miss=1169

flt: bps=15973984

net: pps=1517 buferr=0 neterr=0
Bgrubb1

debug info

Postby Bgrubb1 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:01 pm

After pressing menu to restore audio, debug info is ...
C:\Documents and Settings\Barry\Desktop\hdhomerun_config_win32_20070105>hdhomerun_config 10100DAF get /tuner0/debug

tun: ch=8vsb:36 lock=8vsb ss=100 snq=90 seq=100

dev: resync=60 overflow=0

ts: bps=19391072 ut=97 te=6431 miss=1201

flt: bps=15967968

net: pps=1517 buferr=0 neterr=0
Bgrubb1

Re: debug info

Postby TheEndless » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:57 am

Bgrubb1 wrote:ts: bps=19391072 ut=96 te=6431 miss=1169

ts: bps=19391072 ut=97 te=6431 miss=1201

That miss count is no doubt the problem. The miss count indicates how many TS packets have been dropped. 1201 is an awful lot of missed packets, and is definitely a good indication as to why you'd be losing audio.

Can you view the same channel in VLC for roughly the same amount of time as the above test, then copy and paste the debug info for that here?

TheEndless
TheEndless

Postby waynedunham » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:41 am

Endless,

Finally got the Roku hooked back up yesterday. It's been out of my AV rack for quite a while, but with TvPlay plus the updates to Mplay allowing the reading of .my files for descriptions of my SageTV recordings I have been wanting to put it back for a while now.
The latest update to TvPlay that works with the latest firmware for the HD Homerun was the clincher. :)

I had some issues with just plain having too many pieces of equipment in my AV rack. (2 ReplayTV's, DVD recorder/VHS, MediaReady 5000, plus all my stereo equipment) and not enough/right inputs on my AV Pre/Pro (Outlaw 950).
Well just before Xmas my DVD player died, so I bought a new DVD Recorder/VHS which allowed me to open up a slot by getting rid of the separate VHS and DVD player and using the new unit.

I did have some issues getting the Roku to put out proper video. I've never been able to use the method of waiting for it to boot and then scrolling through the modes via the right arrow on the console. At least not in the upgraded firmwares. But I knew there was another way that I'd used in the past and finally dug out the manual and used that (page 30 of the Roku manual).

This is going to require me to rethink/rewire my entire AV rack since the only input on the AV receiver I had open only had Svid or Composite. I need to move things around so I can use the Component out on the Roku allowing me to get better resolution on my HDTV. I mean, what good is playing HD video if you're only outputting at 480p? :roll:

TvPlay worked great for the most part. I did experience a few rare audio glitches like the other user described. My problem didn't sound anywhere near as bad as his though. Very rare in my limited viewing so far.

The new additions are great!

A couple questions on the new additions for my intended use. Right now I plan on setting one of the tuners up in SageTV and leaving the other one for TvPlay use on the Roku and my HDTV in the living room.

With that in mind:

Does the "Specify Device ID" options allow for drilling down to a specific tuner, or only both tuners on a decive with that ID?

If that can't be done, is there a way to limit TvPlay to only using one of the tuners? I.E. manually editing the .tv file to remove all channels for say tuner 1, a command line switch?
We need something like this for those of us dedicating a tuner to MythTV, SageTV, etc and wanting the other one for TvPlay. We can't rely on just "is the tuner busy" because Sage/Myth etc may want to use that tuner in 5 minutes.

Also, I was just looking at the .tv file and noticed several of my channels had "#", and "@" symbols in front of them. I'm assuming that one of those is for the channels we've removed via the browse feature, but what's the other one for?
Hmmm, I may have just guessed it? There multiple #'s, but only one @ symbol. Maybe the #'s are for those channels removed from the channel surf and the @ is the last channel used?

Anyway, GREAT WORK!! I'm off now to visit that donation link on your website! :D
Wayne Dunham
waynedunham

Postby TheEndless » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:53 am

Glad to hear you're back up and running!

waynedunham wrote:Does the "Specify Device ID" options allow for drilling down to a specific tuner, or only both tuners on a decive with that ID?

No, that just allows you to specify which HDHomeRun to use, in the event you have more than one.

waynedunham wrote:If that can't be done, is there a way to limit TvPlay to only using one of the tuners? I.E. manually editing the .tv file to remove all channels for say tuner 1, a command line switch?

If you've already done the channel scan, then the easiest thing to do is edit the channels.tv file and remove all of the channels for the tuner you don't want to use (the first line of the file indicates what each value is, so match us the Tuner column). If there are no entries for that tuner, TVPlay will never try to use it.

If you hadn't done your channel scan, then you could just specify all of the -NoXXXXOn0 or -NoXXXXOn1 command line options, which would essentially prevent TVPlay from scanning that tuner.

waynedunham wrote:Also, I was just looking at the .tv file and noticed several of my channels had "#", and "@" symbols in front of them. I'm assuming that one of those is for the channels we've removed via the browse feature, but what's the other one for?
Hmmm, I may have just guessed it? There multiple #'s, but only one @ symbol. Maybe the #'s are for those channels removed from the channel surf and the @ is the last channel used?

You're correct. The # indicates a "disabled" channel, and the @ indicates the current channel.

TheEndless
TheEndless

Dropping Audio

Postby Bgrubb1 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:14 pm

Endless
I let the HDHomerun run overnight via VLC and in the morning. the dropped packet count was significantly higher and VLC still had audio. Then I went Out Of Town
Will report more on my return
..Barry
Bgrubb1

Re: Dropping Audio

Postby TheEndless » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:28 pm

I let the HDHomerun run overnight via VLC and in the morning. the dropped packet count was significantly higher and VLC still had audio. Then I went Out Of Town
..Barry

That's expected. The idea behind the test was to verify that the missed packets were a result of the HDHomeRun itself, and not related to TVPlay. It doesn't surprise me that VLC is able to recover from it better than the Roku. Unfortunately, since the packets are being dropped on the HDHomeRun side, I don't think there's anything I can do to get around it on the Roku side. It may be worth posting about the miss numbers over on the SiliconDust forum to see if anyone has any ideas on how to reduce them.

TheEndless
TheEndless

Postby waynedunham » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:18 am

TheEndless wrote:If you've already done the channel scan, then the easiest thing to do is edit the channels.tv file and remove all of the channels for the tuner you don't want to use (the first line of the file indicates what each value is, so match us the Tuner column). If there are no entries for that tuner, TVPlay will never try to use it.

If you hadn't done your channel scan, then you could just specify all of the -NoXXXXOn0 or -NoXXXXOn1 command line options, which would essentially prevent TVPlay from scanning that tuner.

I'll keep that in mind for when I rescan. I should have noticed that the "On0" and "On1" were for the individual tuners.

I have to rescan anyway. Seems Comcast doesn't broadcast some channels all the time or something. Last week I had PBS HD, but it didn't show up on TvPlay's initial scan and also wasn't appearing at the time of the scan on my QAM HDTV in the bedroom. So I'll have to try and find a time when it is broadcasting that and a couple other channels and do a rescan then using the NoXXXXon1 parameter.

THANKS!

BTW, I couldn't find a donate button for TvPlay so I used the one on the Mplay page to donate for both TvPlay and Mplay.

I wish there were more developers out there as willing to interact with users and consider their wants and suggestions.
Wayne Dunham
waynedunham

Re: Dropping Audio

Postby Bgrubb1 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:39 pm

TheEndless wrote:
..Barry

That's expected. The idea behind the test was to verify that the missed packets were a result of the HDHomeRun itself, and not related to TVPlay. It doesn't surprise me that VLC is able to recover from it better than the Roku. Unfortunately, since the packets are being dropped on the HDHomeRun side, I don't think there's anything I can do to get around it on the Roku side. It may be worth posting about the miss numbers over on the SiliconDust forum to see if anyone has any ideas on how to reduce them.

Endless
Before posting, I have been trying to quantify the issue. I currently have the dropped audio, WITHOUT any dropped packets from a different channel, with 'jumpy' video. Does that imply the dropped packets may not be the issue ??
..Barry

TheEndless
Bgrubb1

Next

Return to Third-Party Applications