memory leak?

Discuss the new Beta 2.0 software for the Roku PhotoBridge.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

memory leak?

Postby frank » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:11 pm

I have been periodically monitoring my Roku via telnet, and have noticed that available memory seems to dwindle over time. I have REV B h/w with NO swap file. Following reboot, there is about 50MB free... Over time, this eventually dwindles down to 2MB or so. I run the Browse app (displaying photos and video...) as well as MPlay. Memory checked while no apps running.

Also noticed 6 or 7 instances of "cascade" running, as well as multiple instances of mpegd and some others, even though no apps were running... Is this normal?
frank

Re: memory leak?

Postby RokuDave » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:21 pm

frank wrote:I have been periodically monitoring my Roku via telnet, and have noticed that available memory seems to dwindle over time. I have REV B h/w with NO swap file. Following reboot, there is about 50MB free... Over time, this eventually dwindles down to 2MB or so. I run the Browse app (displaying photos and video...) as well as MPlay. Memory checked while no apps running.

This is normal. Linux does caching of disk blocks in case they are needed, and the memory used for this gets freed as soon as it is needed.

That is not to say that I can guarantee the HD1K has no memory leak, so if there is some reason you think this is an actual leak please let us know.

frank wrote:Also noticed 6 or 7 instances of "cascade" running, as well as multiple instances of mpegd and some others, even though no apps were running... Is this normal?

Yes, threads in linux (which cascade et al use regularly) show up as separate processes.

Dave
RokuDave

Postby jor » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:15 pm

if you look in /proc (meminfo?), you can see free memory being shifted to buffers, it's a bit harder to see how much is really available.
jor

Return to PhotoBridge HD1000 2.0 Beta