Use a wireless extender?

Discuss SoundBridge Radio-specific issues here. For generic SoundBridge discussion, please use the SoundBridge General Discussion forum.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Use a wireless extender?

Postby bennytoot » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:50 am

I just got my new SB Radio yesterday and got it all set up fine. I've had some problems with apparently being on the edge of the wireless range in my house. I'd rather not move the current router too far (though admittedly it is not in a good spot - front corner of the house), and making minor adjustments to its position only yields minor improvements. I have a good spot for a wireless extender (or is it called an access point?) about 1/2 way between the router and the SB. I read something from a year ago that said SB had problems with these types of devices. Is that still the case?

Also, my AM radio doesn't work. I checked to make sure the supplied AM antenna is in firmly and it is. There is a station that broadcasts about 2 miles away and it was static when I tried to tune it. I briefly got one other station, but it didn't last. I tried the radio in several spots with no better results. Other radios in the house pick up several AM stations. I'm going to try the AM antenna from my tuner tonight with the AM adapter that came with the SB, but this seems like a strange problem to have.
bennytoot

Postby bennytoot » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:23 am

I went ahead and took a chance on buying an extender. It seems to work pretty well. My signal quality improved and the strength went from dBm's in the -70's range down to the -50's range. I haven't run the radio for any length of time yet, but will this evening to thoroughly test it.

I must also give kudos to Roku. I diagnosed the AM problem as being a faulty antenna. When I contacted Roku, they had a new one on the way the next day. I'm not accustomed to this level of customer service. Keep it up!
bennytoot

Postby bretb » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:05 pm

I use this signal amplifier and it sure saturates the neighborhood, let alone the house. My neighbors joke with me that they have better signal in their houses for my network than their own. We do coordinate wireless channels so as to minimize interference, but this little baby works VERY well:

http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/pro ... ProdID=187

Boosts wireless signal by 100, 200 or 500 mW. This is a pretty accurate illustration of the area of your house that you'll have FULL signal strength in:

I highly recommend it!
bretb

Postby allenc3 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:32 pm

For what it's worth... I have a Linksys WRT54G in the house. I have two SB radios, one upstairs and one downstairs. I bought a Linksys WAP54G for downstairs as a wireless range extender. The two WAPs are named WAP-UP and WAP-DN. I can get on the Internet with my PC from either WAP, but neither SB radio will work at all! If I unplug power to the WAP54G, both SB radios work fine (although the downstairs one has a pretty weak signal). With the WAP54G on both SBs get a good wifi signal and see both WAPs and either SB can select either WAP but will not play music from server or Internet radio.

I gave up on it.
Roku M1000, M500, SB Radios, Netflix Player, WiFi, Win7, Windows Home Server, Verizon FIOS router
allenc3

Return to SoundBridge Radio General Discussion