Streaming Pause and Rewind

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Streaming Pause and Rewind

Postby bobh » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:39 am

I just heard a great song on my Roku/Firefly and would like to rewind and play the song again. I do this all the time for tv on my Tivo.
Is this possible? Does an application exist? A discussion thread?
Thanks.
bobh

Postby RokuLyndon » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:22 am

There isn't a rewind, but you can always go back to the song that just played by hitting the << key on the remote
RokuLyndon

Postby bobh » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:26 pm

I wasn't clear.

If I'm listening to a streaming internet radio station, I would like to pause or rewind the stream. Like on Tivo.
So this application on the mac would download from the internet to RAM and after a delay would write to a file on the hard drive and then the Firefly server would serve that file to ROKU. Then you could pause this application and it would continue to write the internet stream to RAM (or yet another file for long pauses) and output "silence data--zero or something" to the file being served. Then when you hit "play" on the mac program and it would put out real data from the oldest (in time) RAM data or other file.

Isn't this something like Tivo does?

Then add the rewind function to this and I'm a happy man.

Can two programs access the same hard drive file on the mac if the rates input and output are the same? The two programs are the Server and my imaginary program which would run at the same data rate. One puts data in and one takes data out. Do the files have to be fixed in size at the start of the server?
OK maybe so, so we need an local internet address for the Firefly server to connect to on the mac that does the delay--OK maybe this is too hard.
bobh

Postby bobh » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:21 pm

OK forget all of the above.
I need a "PARS" (Pause and Rewind Server) running on the mac that Firefly connects to.
>Start-up PARS
>Give Firefly the local PARS IP address, PARS outputs silence data packets to Firefly which serves it to ROKU. bobh hears silence.
>bobh enters an internet radio station address into PARS and clicks the "Connect" button.
>PARS uses RAM and a file on the mac's hard drive to delay the streaming internet traffic before sending it out to Firefly->ROKU. PARS implements buttons for pause and rewind, outputting silence data during pause.

This can't work or somebody would be doing this already.
bobh

Postby S80_UK » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:38 pm

bobh wrote:This can't work or somebody would be doing this already.

Hi,

Well, it could be done - either in a server, or in the internet radio device. But if it's done in the radio then it needs more memory.

By way of an example, here in the UK we have conventional radios for receiving terrestrial digital broadcasts (using the DAB system) which are able to buffer the broadcast mpeg data stream. When you press the pause button you get as much as an hour's buffering and you can move back and forth through the buffer to listen to from a particular point. While it's a nice idea, it is often not compelling enough for consumers to pay the additional cost. Since only the minority of radios have this feature they are significantly more expensive than those without this feature (it not just the cost of the RAM, its the usual mark-ups in the supply chain that do the damage).

In your example, if done in a server, memory capacity would not be an issue. It just needs someone to write it. (You can tell I'm a hardware guy - I always trivialise this software stuff...)
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i
S80_UK

Postby cullen » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:00 am

If you're looking for a software solution, check out http://www.applian.com/
cullen

Postby bobh » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:51 am

Thanks for the info.
Sort of works on the mac
Got a Mac?
All Applian recording products are designed for the Microsoft Windows operating system.
Run Windows on your Mac with Parallels

But if I read the spec correctly, they seem to want you to record the stream to a file and then you can play it back with pause and rewind when you play the file. Which would add an extra step. I want to do this in real-time without thinking about it. Most of the content I don't want to record or repeat.
But this product is close to what I want to do.
bobh

Return to SoundBridge General Discussion