WPA Security

Questions and answers about getting your SoundBridge up and running.

Moderators: TheEndless, RokuDouglas, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

WPA Security

Postby ballgeier » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:26 am

I bought a new wireless router and it has WEP and WPA security. I wanted to use WPA but the Roku does not seem to recognize it.
I do not know a whole lot about this stuff but the router supports WPA, WPA2(TKIP & Aes). The key constists of upper and lowercase letters and numbers. I made sure I entered it correctly each time, but the roku could not connect. Any suggestions?
My router is a Linksys wrt54g. Roku M1001
ballgeier

Postby ballgeier » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:18 pm

It connects via WEP, which is better than nothing I guess. I was just trying to use the strongest security I can. I'd still like to use WPA if I can figure it out.
ballgeier

Postby sonichouse » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:21 pm

ballgeier wrote:It connects via WEP, which is better than nothing I guess. I was just trying to use the strongest security I can. I'd still like to use WPA if I can figure it out.
If your router supports it, I would suggest restricting by MAC addresses as well.
SB M1000, M2000 x 2
NSLU2 Unslung 6.8, Firefly 1696, FirePlay 0.85, FF-Stats 1.28
sonichouse

Postby hpsenicka » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:04 pm

You may want to consider using a wireless bridge that supports 802.11g and WPA.

Connect the Roku to the wireless bridge via ethernet cable, then let the bridge establish the wireless link to your Linksys access point.

I have enjoyed very good results with a Netgear WGPS606. As an added bonus, the higher performance of the 802.11g wireless gear facilitates playing higher-bandwidth streams without sufferring dropouts.
hpsenicka

Postby RokuLyndon » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:48 pm

Sonic,

when you say it doesn't recognize the router using wpa, do you mean it doesn't connect?

Try different wpa settings, using wpa or wpa2, as well as trying TKIP or AES. Some users have reported better performance using AES.
RokuLyndon

Postby mas » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:13 pm

As opposed to the M1000, the M1001 DOES support wpa with any 3.x firmware!
And there is no incompatibility with the Linksys WRT54g (DD-WRT firmware checked here).

I can say that so definitly because I use exactly that combination with WPA. Works flawlessly. There shouldnt be any problems so something must be misconfigured.

Check your firmware version of the M1001. Old firmwares couldnt do wpa. Check the routers mode. Needs to be mixed or b only. Then reboot and retry. I am not the only user running exactly your combination. You have a rather popular router for a technophile user.

A note on WEP:
-----------------

Yes, its better than nothing. You at least have some "legal" protection. Its likely illegal to break your WEP encryption in many countries. But technically the protection is marginal. It's a computer noob stopper. Takes around 3 mins for any experienced user to break it. The programs are freeware and easy to locate on the net including howtos. So it keeps only noobs out.

A note on MAC filter:
---------------------

Unlike the WEP encryption this provides not even marginal security.
It is not illegal to change a MAC address and its trivial. Takes seconds. The descriptions howto do it are also available on the internet. On Windows its a single registry entry. And the MAC address you have allowed can be detected within seconds with a packet sniffer which is also freeware and easy to find for free on the internet.
Theres no point in using this, as even WEP provides a better protection. Plus MAC filters tend to be a debbuging hazard. The tables need to be manually updated etc...
Simply more trouble then use. Qualify this measure as "snake oil" and avoid it.
Note that "SSID hiding" aka disabling SSID broadcast also falls in the same category. Forget it simply and use WPA.

In short:
---------

If you're security aware you need to use WPA/WPA2. No other alternative.
And also use a non dictionary password plus (important) a non standard SSID to prevent table lookups (the SSID is used as a salt so dont use a default one!). You dont need a 50 character password though. If its non-dictionary then anything >8 chars is hard to brute force.
Those who sacrifice freedom over safety deserve neither.
mas

Postby JohnBates » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:45 pm

ballgeier wrote:It connects via WEP, which is better than nothing I guess. I was just trying to use the strongest security I can. I'd still like to use WPA if I can figure it out.

I had a similar problem using the Linksys wrt54gl router (although I've changed the firmware on my router to tomato (see http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato)) where it would work fine with WEP but apparently not with WPA.

The solution, for me, was to realise that the lowercase letters in my WPA `password` really needed to be lowercase. When entering the password on the SoundBridge I was scrolling down from the digits to the letters immediately below which were capitals. I needed to scroll down again to find the lowercase set. Once I entered the WPA password with numbers and lowercase letters it worked correctly.

Just a thought.
JohnBates

Postby fshagan » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:27 pm

I'm also using a Soundbridge M1001 connecting wireless with a Linksys WRT54G router (running in "mixed" mode) with WPA enabled. I'll post my exact configuration tonight, but it is possible to make it work.
fshagan

Postby Borkdude » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

When my SoundBridge came out of the box it couldn't get into my WPA-secured network.

After upgrading to the newest firmware (from here http://www.roku.com/support_sb_dwnld_update.php#sbr) it worked fine!
Borkdude

Return to SoundBridge Set-Up