How to setup Host Name for HD1000; anyone (The Endless?)?

For general discussion of the Roku PhotoBridge HD1000 and Gallery Collection.

Moderators: TheEndless, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

How to setup Host Name for HD1000; anyone (The Endless?)?

Postby Burkhardi » Thu May 08, 2008 7:01 am

I as getting tired of seeing my HD1000 called "(none)" as the host name on my routers DHCP table, as well as Windows Media Conenct *WMC) calling it an "unknown device".
I got brave and added "HOSTNAME=HD1000" to the ifcfg-eth0 file and now when I use the console to talk to my box, where I use to get "login:" I know see "HD1000 login:" however, nothing else has changed.
SInce WMC uses UPNP, is there some UPNP file that I need to edit? How about the router, I woudl assume if the console sees the host name, that the router would too, but no such luck (unless the lease has to expire first?).

Anyway, I hopped that since The Endless worked with SlimRoku and SLimServer perhaps he may know a little about UPNP stuff and what have you.

Can anyone help me with this useless task that is just more of a challange (I have a several HD1000's on my network and I can't walys recall their MAC address, if I would use a host name, it would be great.?

Oh yea, if I am talking to the box from the command window via RS232, and type HOSTNAME, it will spit back HD1000 as where it use to spit back "(none)".

TIA, Matt
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku
Burkhardi

Re: How to setup Host Name for HD1000; anyone (The Endless?)

Postby TheEndless » Thu May 08, 2008 2:10 pm

Burkhardi wrote:I as getting tired of seeing my HD1000 called "(none)" as the host name on my routers DHCP table, as well as Windows Media Conenct *WMC) calling it an "unknown device".
I got brave and added "HOSTNAME=HD1000" to the ifcfg-eth0 file and now when I use the console to talk to my box, where I use to get "login:" I know see "HD1000 login:" however, nothing else has changed.
SInce WMC uses UPNP, is there some UPNP file that I need to edit? How about the router, I woudl assume if the console sees the host name, that the router would too, but no such luck (unless the lease has to expire first?).

Anyway, I hopped that since The Endless worked with SlimRoku and SLimServer perhaps he may know a little about UPNP stuff and what have you.

Can anyone help me with this useless task that is just more of a challange (I have a several HD1000's on my network and I can't walys recall their MAC address, if I would use a host name, it would be great.?

Oh yea, if I am talking to the box from the command window via RS232, and type HOSTNAME, it will spit back HD1000 as where it use to spit back "(none)".

TIA, Matt

There is an xml file that is used for UPnP identification. I can't remember where it is or what it was called off the top of my head, though. I'll see if I can find it when I get home.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby TheEndless » Thu May 08, 2008 5:03 pm

TheEndless wrote:There is an xml file that is used for UPnP identification. I can't remember where it is or what it was called off the top of my head, though. I'll see if I can find it when I get home.

TheEndless

Take a look for DeviceDescription.xml. Probably in the /etc/rokucascade path somewhere... friendlyName is the property you're looking for.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Burkhardi » Mon May 12, 2008 4:51 am

TheEndless wrote:
TheEndless wrote:There is an xml file that is used for UPnP identification. I can't remember where it is or what it was called off the top of my head, though. I'll see if I can find it when I get home.

TheEndless

Take a look for DeviceDescription.xml. Probably in the /etc/rokucascade path somewhere... friendlyName is the property you're looking for.

TheEndless

Will do!
I did find Cascade_UPNPD and could not read that one. Can you recomemnd a XML reader (or does Internet Explorer do that)? I assume I need to copy that file to a CF card, then I can read and edit i ton my PC and import it back to the unit?

Remember, I know enough to be dangerous at this point. I'll look for DeviceDescription.xml tonight, thanks for the bone (said in Dr. Evil's voice), I'll see what I can do with it.

Best regards and thanks, Matt

EDIT: I found 2007 XML Notepad and I am playing with it for XML editing.
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku
Burkhardi

Postby Burkhardi » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:10 am

OK, so dollar late and day short, but I figured it out...

I added/appended these two lines to the ifcfg-eth0 file and now when I Telnet into the box it sees the hostname, as well as my router. So the only thing missing is WMC seeing it as an "Uknown Device".

Here are the two lines I added to the ifcfg-eth0 file to make the router and telnet see something of my choosing verse the classic (none) that we all see.

HOSTNAME=MATTSHD1K
DHCP_HOSTNAME=MATTSHD1K

in your case, just replace "MATTSHD1K" with what ever you want to call your box.
example
HOSTNAME=HD1000
DHCP_HOSTNAME=HD1000

or

HOSTNAME=PHOTOBRIDGE
DHCP_HOSTNAME=PHOTOBRIDGE

Happy editing!
I used VI to do this.
Regards, Matt
Burkhardi

Return to PhotoBridge General Discussion