Multiple boxes with 1 account

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Multiple boxes with 1 account

Postby lindelof » Wed May 21, 2008 6:52 pm

I am interested in purchasing 2 Roku Netflix Players but was wondering if it was possible to view different movies on each box with the same account? The FAQ's note that 1 Netflix account can be used on 4 boxes, but makes no mention of being able to view different contents on each box simultaneously.
lindelof

Postby tsken02 » Wed May 21, 2008 7:02 pm

On my Netflix it says:
With your current Netflix plan, you can watch up to 4 instant movies or TV episodes simultaneously on any combination of Netflix ready devices and PCs.
Members with a Netflix plan that includes unlimited instant watching may associate up to 4 unique devices with an account during a twelve month period.

http://www.netflix.com/NetflixReadyDevi ... &fq=faq-10
tsken02

Postby RokuJamesL » Wed May 21, 2008 7:25 pm

If you have multiple boxes activated on the same account, they will all access the same instant watch queue.

Each box works completely independent of one another, so if you are watching a title on one box, you can watch another title on the other boxes. You can also watch the same title on all boxes at the same time.
Last edited by RokuJamesL on Fri May 23, 2008 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RokuJamesL
Roku Engineering

Postby domshen » Wed May 21, 2008 8:18 pm

from what I understand it will work like the pc usage does, in order to be able to watch 2 things at the same time you will need a 2 dvd at a time plan. I could be wrong though
domshen

Postby lindelof » Wed May 21, 2008 8:36 pm

RokuJamesL wrote:so if you are watching a title on one box, you can watch another title on the other boxes. Even better, you can watch the same title on ALL boxes at the same time.

Thank you. This is exactly the information I needed. Perfect.
lindelof

Postby RokuJamesL » Wed May 21, 2008 9:02 pm

Once caveat I forgot to mention is that with more than one box on the same broadband connection, you'll need some serious bandwidth in order to watch movies on two boxes at the same time. I'd say for two boxes playing at the same time, a 6 Mbps broadband connection is recommended.
RokuJamesL
Roku Engineering

Postby Jso » Thu May 22, 2008 8:05 pm

From the Netflix FAQs.

Some membership plans allow you to watch simultaneously on more than one PC at the same time (for example, watching a movie on your laptop while another family member watches on a PC in another room ).
1-disc plans may watch on one device at a time, 2-disc plans on up to two devices at the same time, 3-disc plans on up to three devices, and plans with four or more discs on up to four devices simultaneously.
Jso

Postby Paco II » Fri May 23, 2008 1:37 pm

Interesting problem for Roku. They build the boxes, but Netflix builds the service. I wonder how much of this information needs to be included in print in the box with the player. But then Roku needs to make sure they always have the latest information from Netflix, which may be harder than it sounds.

Jso wrote:From the Netflix FAQs.

Some membership plans allow you to watch simultaneously on more than one PC at the same time (for example, watching a movie on your laptop while another family member watches on a PC in another room ).
1-disc plans may watch on one device at a time, 2-disc plans on up to two devices at the same time, 3-disc plans on up to three devices, and plans with four or more discs on up to four devices simultaneously.
Paco II

Re: Multiple boxes with 1 account

Postby dahauss » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:00 pm

is this still true?? I ask because MY ROKU is playing a TV show form NETFLIX... I logged into my NETFLIX account on my computer and was able to play a second movie.. I only have the $9 one DVD at a time plan..
dahauss

Postby chris0071 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:07 pm

The Netflix "rule" is that you can watch as many streaming programs at the same time as you have in your DVD plan.

1 DVD = 1 streaming program at a time. 2 DVD plan = 2 streaming programs at a time.

Just because they might not be enforcing it right now doesn't mean that they won't at some point in the future.
chris0071

Postby kc8pql » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:09 pm

dahauss wrote:is this still true?? I ask because MY ROKU is playing a TV show form NETFLIX... I logged into my NETFLIX account on my computer and was able to play a second movie.. I only have the $9 one DVD at a time plan..

Many people here have reported that they can stream to two devices at once on the one at a time plan even though Netflix says you can't.
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby KennyJ » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:18 pm

kc8pql wrote:
dahauss wrote:is this still true?? I ask because MY ROKU is playing a TV show form NETFLIX... I logged into my NETFLIX account on my computer and was able to play a second movie.. I only have the $9 one DVD at a time plan..

Many people here have reported that they can stream to two devices at once on the one at a time plan even though Netflix says you can't.

Yeah. It may violate their TOS, so be careful.
KennyJ

Postby jcmolet » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:08 pm

KennyJ wrote:
kc8pql wrote:

Yeah. It may violate their TOS, so be careful.

As someone that is on the one DVD at at time plan, I can confirm that I can stream to two devices at once. I have tried it on a couple of occasions just to confirm the capability. Additionally, I have confirmed that attempting to stream three movies results in an error message. Streaming more than one movie at a time doesn't really interest me as it is only the wife and me; and when we watch movies, we are watching them together.

While they could certainly penalize users that stream multiple movies or otherwise violate the TOS, I imagine that if they wanted to enforce the one movie at a time rule, they could; just as they are able to restrict the playback of three movies at a time. It would be easier than seeking out those that violate the TOS. My guess is that is not something on their radar right now. Based on their own statements - particularly the recent suggestion that they may offer a streaming only subscription service - and the speed at which streaming video is becoming more commonplace, my guess is that the issue on their radar right now is how best to price and implement a streaming only subscription service. I would be willing to bet that if they do offer a streaming only option - which I believe they will - and they offer different levels of service (1,2 or 3 movies concurrently), they will price them differently and enforce accordingly.
jcmolet

Postby bc24 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:58 pm

Streaming to multiple devices at the same time with the low end plan has always worked. My friend has his Roku linked to my (1 DVD at a time unlimited streaming) plan. I have my Roku linked to the same account and is has been that way for almost a year now. Never had any problems, nor has Netflix ever contacted me about it.
bc24

Postby KennyJ » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:07 pm

bc24 wrote:Streaming to multiple devices at the same time with the low end plan has always worked. My friend has his Roku linked to my (1 DVD at a time unlimited streaming) plan. I have my Roku linked to the same account and is has been that way for almost a year now. Never had any problems, nor has Netflix ever contacted me about it.

I've seen an error before with the 1 at a time plan. It might have been a Starz Play movie though. Perhaps they only enforce it on certain titles?
KennyJ

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion