View local video files?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

View local video files?

Postby tiger_in_houston » Fri May 23, 2008 9:42 am

Will the new Netflix Player by Roku play video files stored on a local server, or must all videos come from Netflix?

(If not, here's the first project for the open source geniuses who will no doubt be digging through the firmware.)
tiger_in_houston

Postby RokuJamesL » Fri May 23, 2008 9:49 am

Sorry, the product will only play video streams from Netflix.
RokuJamesL
Roku Engineering

Postby tji » Fri May 23, 2008 9:53 am

That would be REALLY nice..

A simple streaming protocol, to allow me to send MPEG2 streams to it would allow for some great possibilities.

Of course, there are some other related features that would be nice, but could also be done on the streamer device to some extent.
- Pause / Skip Ahead / Skip Back
- Basic menu interaction
tji

Postby MattB » Tue May 27, 2008 12:20 pm

Yeah, this is a deal breaker for me. If I could stream my own local media (especially photos) I'd be interested. Unfortunately those kinds of features are only good for the consumer and not the ongoing revenue stream, so they are less likely to happen. :(

This should be in the FAQ. Surely we aren't the only ones asking this question.
MattB

Postby bobpenn » Wed May 28, 2008 4:03 pm

MattB wrote:Yeah, this is a deal breaker for me. If I could stream my own local media (especially photos) I'd be interested. Unfortunately those kinds of features are only good for the consumer and not the ongoing revenue stream, so they are less likely to happen. :(

This should be in the FAQ. Surely we aren't the only ones asking this question.

But then this box essentially becomes a Windows Media Extender or an Apple TV and would cost more. There is a plug in for Windows Media Extenders which allow Netflix WatchNow videos to stream to your TV. It's buggy, but getting better every day. I used it but once I saw the "official" solution and for only $100 I jumped to get it.

Also, keep in mind the Apple TV is $225 and the cheapest Media Extender is also around $250. So you have to pay more to get the expanded features that you wish.
bobpenn

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion