Internet connection lost during Netflix player stream

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Internet connection lost during Netflix player stream

Postby DoctorM » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:01 am

My Netflix box is accessing the internet wirelessly through a D-Link DIR-655 router. I usually get 4 dots when streaming, and there’s no problem if the computers that can also access the router are turned off. If I turn a computer on, the light on the front of the Netflix box starts flashing, the video freezes after a minute or so, and neither the box nor the computer can access the internet. I have to reboot the cable modem (Motorola surfboard 4100) to get things going again. The same thing happens if I start to stream from the Netflix box when a computer that accesses the router is already turned on. I rebooted the router, and that helped for a while, but today the light on the box is flashing again. I’ve been reading the posts on this forum since shortly after I ordered my box on 5/20, but I don’t think I’ve read about this problem. Any ideas how to solve this one?
DoctorM

Re: Internet connection lost during Netflix player stream

Postby unclebob » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:09 am

DoctorM wrote:My Netflix box is accessing the internet wirelessly through a D-Link DIR-655 router. I usually get 4 dots when streaming, and there’s no problem if the computers that can also access the router are turned off. If I turn a computer on, the light on the front of the Netflix box starts flashing, the video freezes after a minute or so, and neither the box nor the computer can access the internet. I have to reboot the cable modem (Motorola surfboard 4100) to get things going again. The same thing happens if I start to stream from the Netflix box when a computer that accesses the router is already turned on. I rebooted the router, and that helped for a while, but today the light on the box is flashing again. I’ve been reading the posts on this forum since shortly after I ordered my box on 5/20, but I don’t think I’ve read about this problem. Any ideas how to solve this one?

Can you try a wired connection? If that works, you'll know to look for a problem on the wireless side.

Also, try disabling any network security software that may be running on your PC that may be handling the Roku box as a potential threat.

Don't troubleshoot this now, as the instant watch service is temporarily down -- see:

http://www.netflix.com/WatchNow

If that page loads normally, they are back in business.
Last edited by unclebob on Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
unclebob

Postby DoctorM » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:16 am

Thanks, I noticed the thread about the outage after I posted my message. If the problem recurs after Netflix is back online, I'll continue troubleshooting.
DoctorM

Postby DoctorM » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:59 pm

DoctorM wrote:Thanks, I noticed the thread about the outage after I posted my message. If the problem recurs after Netflix is back online, I'll continue troubleshooting.

I'm still having problems maintaining the connection. It happens whether I connect the box to the router via ethernet or wirelessly, and has even occurred when the computers are off. The stop has occurred between 3 and 18 minutes after streaming starts. The initial connection is always 4 dots. I've tried turning off automatic QOS and tried using Open DNS, but neither solved the problem. Comcast claimed my modem was still connected at a time I had lost connectivity, so they blamed my router. Any suggestions?
DoctorM

Postby waldo1979 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:45 pm

I also experiencing the same issue. While watching movies, my wireless Internet connection periodically drops. I'm using a Apple Airport Express access point, my internet provider is Comcast and I'm using an Motorola surfboard cable modem. The access point is using WPAv2.

When the connection drops, a reboot to the Roku is the only fix. Other devices such as my laptops are not interrupted so a problem with the access point is unlikely.
waldo1979

Postby DoctorM » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:26 pm

waldo1979 wrote:I also experiencing the same issue. While watching movies, my wireless Internet connection periodically drops. I'm using a Apple Airport Express access point, my internet provider is Comcast and I'm using an Motorola surfboard cable modem. The access point is using WPAv2.

When the connection drops, a reboot to the Roku is the only fix. Other devices such as my laptops are not interrupted so a problem with the access point is unlikely.

For me, rebooting the Roku box is not enough. I have to reboot the cable modem. If a computer was on, it also has to be rebooted after the cable modem to regain internet access. I don't have to reboot the router. Yesterday, I had 30 minutes of streaming before it stopped. The durations seem to be approximately multiples of 3 minutes. Does the box hold about 3 minutes of video? Is the problem happening when the box has to reconnect with Netflix to get the next portion of the video? If so, what could be the causes of that?

I'm surprised by the lack of response from the Roku folks to this thread. Is everybody stumped by this one?
DoctorM

Postby maffy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:05 pm

I just upgraded and bought the new Roku - thinking it would be an improvement. The Netflix channel has been totally hosed.
I have Clear for my ISP and use a Linksys router for wireless, though I've used both wired and wireless -- no difference in behavior.
All the other channels on the Roku work perfectly. Only the Netflix channel has a problem.

Scenario:

Watch an episode of a show (or a movie)
When it ends, the alert box appears that it cannot connect to network. ** note, all computers work fine, no change in wireless internet in the house
If I ignore the alert, and wait 10 minutes, the alert box goes away and I can watch another episode or movie
If I don't, I click through and watch as it connects to each level of internet -- all green lights
That bumps me back to the home page, where I select Netflix and immediately see the 'trying to connect' alert flash on the screen
I select Netflix again and the 'trying to connect' comes up and then the alert box saying that it cannot connect to the internet.
NOTE: If I go to any other channel, I have no problem. I can watch every episode of a TV show I purchased on Amazon in my video library without the 10 minute wait between episodes, or any movie on midnight movies without a problem. Only the Netflix channel exhibits this behavior.

If at any time I click the home button and go to the Settings 'channel', and select Network, it reports that the wireless connection is excellent. When wired, it reports as OK.

None of that matters, though, since when I select Netflix it still says it cannot connect to network until the 10 minutes are up. Then it regains its mind.
I've had 2 (one email; one phone) trouble tickets open on this and nothing has changed. I am going to get my flip out and film the behavior to see if that
jogs any replies from Roku/Netflix on this.

In the meantime, if anyone has a solution - be it router-related or other, let me know. maffy.davison@gmail.com.
maffy

Postby maffy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:39 pm

Just read my post and realized it sounded as if the Netflix channel was always hosed. That's not true. With my old Roku player, using an older version of their software, I did NOT experience this problem. This problem only started with the new machine/software upgrade.

Still having the problem.
No word from Roku.
Guess it's time for another trouble ticket and then eBay...

Maffy
maffy

Postby maffy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:36 pm

Just got a Roku tech with a SOLUTION that is working.
Here's the deal. The tech gave me the DNS IP addresses for the closest Roku/Netflix server near my home.
I changed my router to use those addresses, and - although it's not lickity split fast, it doesn't give up and not load,
and I haven't had to reboot anything since I did this.

Call Roku and ask for the DNS settings for your location. I promise it will work.

BTW, I told the tech to come to the forum and post the solution, but she said it was geographical. The DNS settings I have,
won't work for people who live outside of Seattle.

Feel free to contact me if you want my case numbers (I have several) or the instructions from Roku, or anything else.
Hang in there. It's nice to feel happy about Roku again. I was an early adopter and have just loved my Roku. This
issue has been really horrible.

Good luck!
maffy

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion