Netflix getting rid of profiles!!

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Netflix getting rid of profiles!!

Postby pnoyes » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:57 pm

I just got this e-mail from Netflix. I was hoping that the Roku player would one day be able to switch between the profiles (different queues under the same account) but now they are eliminating them! The profiles was one of the main reasons I signed up for Netflix in the first place. Is there anything we can do stop this Roku folks?

** Copied from E-mail **

We wanted to let you know we will be eliminating Profiles, the feature that allowed you to set up separate DVD Queues under one account, effective September 1, 2008.

Each additional Profile Queue will be unavailable after September 1, 2008. Before then, we recommend you consolidate any of your Profile Queues to your main account Queue or print them out.

While it may be disappointing to see Profiles go away, this change will help us continue to improve the Netflix website for all our customers.

If you have any questions, please go to http://www.netflix.com/Help?p_faqid=3962 or call us anytime at 1 (888) 638-3549. We apologize for any inconvenience.

- The Netflix Team
pnoyes
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:26 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby RokuLyndon » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:08 pm

I think you should communicate how you feel about profiles to Netflix directly.
RokuLyndon
 

Postby pnoyes » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:16 pm

I just did. They say that no ones uses the feature. That is BULL! Please anyone who sees this digg on the link below.

http://digg.com/tech_news/Netflix_removes_major_feature_Profiles
pnoyes
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:26 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby pnoyes » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:17 pm

pnoyes
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:26 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby jdoug » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:20 am

jdoug
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 7:16 am

Postby dilbert » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:00 am

Actually I was planning on getting a Roku Netflix player until this happened. I had planned on getting one earlier this month but got delayed because of work. Now I am considering whether I am staying with Netflix at all and have postponed getting a Roku Netflix player indefinitely. I've read comments from Netflix customers that just received their Roku player that are now looking to sell them. The type of customer that would purchase the Roku Netflix player and the type that use customer profiles are fairly similiar.
dilbert
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:53 am

Postby pnoyes » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:02 am

dilbert wrote:Actually I was planning on getting a Roku Netflix player until this happened. I had planned on getting one earlier this month but got delayed because of work. Now I am considering whether I am staying with Netflix at all and have postponed getting a Roku Netflix player indefinitely. I've read comments from Netflix customers that just received their Roku player that are now looking to sell them. The type of customer that would purchase the Roku Netflix player and the type that use customer profiles are fairly similiar.


Yeah, although I am extremely happy with my Roku, I am considering returning it and cancelling Netflix. Although I may instead just lower my plan down to the minimum 8.99$ and mainly use the Roku. I haven't made up my mind.
pnoyes
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:26 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby pnoyes » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:06 am

Sorry to repost about this. But what really scares me is what if Netflix decides that because only 2% of their customers use the streaming feature they decide to drop it altogether (which is the justification for dropping profiles), leaving me with a 99$ paperweight. It is really scary that they drop features without blinking an eye.
pnoyes
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:26 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby wingnutzero » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:16 pm

Netflix has been eager to be an online content provider for a long time, and I think they've invested much more cash into developing streaming video than they used in developing the profiles feature.

In fact, I think Netflix is dumping the profiles feature because they couldn't make it work with the Roku box or other streaming technologies that they're currently working on. I take this is as a sign that they're more committed to streaming content than ever.
wingnutzero
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:21 pm

Postby shelleyp » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:27 pm

wingnutzero wrote:Netflix has been eager to be an online content provider for a long time, and I think they've invested much more cash into developing streaming video than they used in developing the profiles feature.

In fact, I think Netflix is dumping the profiles feature because they couldn't make it work with the Roku box or other streaming technologies that they're currently working on. I take this is as a sign that they're more committed to streaming content than ever.


I have a feeling that Netflix is also having an issue with profiles and WatchNow.

I'm not worried about WatchNow going away, because Netflix is partnering with companies in order to add Netflix streaming capability. In fact, I think that Netflix would love nothing more than to eliminate its hard DVD business and go streaming, only.

So, regardless of whether you like profiles or not, make a buy decision on Roku based on the device and your ability to enjoy WatchNow, which has never been connected to Profiles.
shelleyp
 
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:02 pm

Postby RJP » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:39 pm

I'd say there's less than zero chance that Netflix will drop Watch Instantly. They know the "future" is in internet video streaming.

As for streaming the video, Netflix sends the exact same signal down the internet to either your PC or the Roku player. Doesn't matter to Netflix if the decoding software is on your PC or in th Firmware of the Roku player.

It also sounds like Netflix is dropping the elaborate alternate profiles feature since hardly anyone (2%?) used the feature, which has been out there available for some time now. I'm sure the minuscule loss in revenue from those few customers who coose to drop service because of this change is many times made up by the cost savings in simplifying the website for the remaining 8 million customers.
RJP
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 1:00 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Postby davige » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:05 am

I would much rather see separate Instant Watch profiles especially since I now have a Netflix Player. Even if it allowed separate log-ons but combined all titles into one queue that, to me, would be an improvement to the Netflix service especially with the expansion of streaming capabilities.
davige
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:03 pm

Postby booyah5 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:07 am

pnoyes wrote:Sorry to repost about this. But what really scares me is what if Netflix decides that because only 2% of their customers use the streaming feature they decide to drop it altogether (which is the justification for dropping profiles), leaving me with a 99$ paperweight. It is really scary that they drop features without blinking an eye.


I've considered this possibility. However, keep in mind that someone will hack this box and make some kewl 3rd party firmware for it for use with other online media. It will happen - I don't care how well the bios is locked down.
booyah5
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:53 am

Postby RI_Pilot » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:14 am

I am very disappointed. We have made good use of an additional profile so my Wife could have her own queue. I have sent feedback to Netflix.

Howard
RI_Pilot
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:42 pm
Location: Rhode Island

Poor decision by Netflix; do they have a user forum ?

Postby charliehoward » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:30 pm

One of the real drawbacks to having only one Profile is that the "recommended for you" feature doesn't work well when there's more than one person choosing movies. My wife and I have considerably different tastes in movies (surprise, surprise), so she gets lots of recommendations for "my" kinds of movies... things she never would watch. We've talked about upgrading from the $8.99 to the $13.99 subscription just to get separate profiles. Guess that isn't going to happen now.

Is there a way to share these comments with Netflix directly? Roku's doing a terrific job offering the Forum, but a lot of what's here really is Netflix's responsibility.
Charlie Howard
charliehoward
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:27 pm

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ColdBeat, sravani24 and 30 guests