on/off button ?

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: on/off button ?

Postby philsoft » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:58 pm

This thread is like 4 years old.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 4304
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 6:26 pm
Location: Midland, Michigan

Re: on/off button ?

Postby mikebdoss » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:59 pm

jbauer wrote:I don't mean to be a dink. But have you ever heard the ageless saying that the customer is always right? The other streaming devices have an on/off switch. To be honest I can't think of anything in my house that doesn't have an on/off switch except my refrigerator. If it is as simple as writing code and updating it via firmware then do it. You guys are getting $100 per unit. I'm sure there were start up costs and R&D costs but if you want to play with the big boys you need to respond to your customers ideas.

Just the idea that google will prefill its box as I'm typing: Roku on/off should say something.


First off, why are you replying to a 4-year-old thread? Second, your microwave doesn't have an on-off switch. Most routers don't either. The Roku uses almost no power in standby mode (something like 2 watts), and standby is when the firmware and channel updates are downloaded. Why do you think you need an off button?
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 3125
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 am

Re: on/off button ?

Postby hozedhead » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:04 pm

Don't mean to get too harsh, but yeah, a 4 year old thread??? WTF??? Also, like MDB said, the Roku does not siphon off electricity and jack up your bill. It might be more productive if you were to find another issue, or join Greenpeace or something! :lol:
Roku HD N1000 Serial #20G984014682 Software V. 3.1 Build 1167
hozedhead
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:49 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: on/off button ?

Postby jbauer » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:59 pm

Because I had to google on/off for my Roku. I didn't even look at the dates. Makes me more mad that they haven't fixed a problem that is 6 years old. Anyone want to buy my roku?

mikebdoss wrote:
jbauer wrote:I don't mean to be a dink. But have you ever heard the ageless saying that the customer is always right? The other streaming devices have an on/off switch. To be honest I can't think of anything in my house that doesn't have an on/off switch except my refrigerator. If it is as simple as writing code and updating it via firmware then do it. You guys are getting $100 per unit. I'm sure there were start up costs and R&D costs but if you want to play with the big boys you need to respond to your customers ideas.

Just the idea that google will prefill its box as I'm typing: Roku on/off should say something.


First off, why are you replying to a 4-year-old thread? Second, your microwave doesn't have an on-off switch. Most routers don't either. The Roku uses almost no power in standby mode (something like 2 watts), and standby is when the firmware and channel updates are downloaded. Why do you think you need an off button?
jbauer
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:49 pm

Re: on/off button ?

Postby hozedhead » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:06 pm

Roku HD N1000 Serial #20G984014682 Software V. 3.1 Build 1167
hozedhead
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:49 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: on/off button ?

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:12 pm

jbauer wrote: The other streaming devices have an on/off switch. To be honest I can't think of anything in my house that doesn't have an on/off switch except my refrigerator. .


To be more precise and little more polite than some answers to this, you are wrong. You other devices don't have "off" switches. Nothing does that activates via remote. All they have is a "sleep" mode that you are mistaking for off. That sleep mode uses power just as the Roku does when asleep. Only the Roku sleeps automatically where others use a button.

edit--

I'm amazed people haven't realized the LED goes off when it goes to sleep. That tells me those wanting an off button have not done their research.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
 
Posts: 2803
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:03 pm

Re: on/off button ?

Postby dwanthny » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:57 pm

jbauer wrote:Because I had to google on/off for my Roku. I didn't even look at the dates.

Many folks new to forums make this mistake. Now that you know, in the future start a new thread instead of resurrecting a thread older than 6 months.

jbauer wrote:Makes me more mad that they haven't fixed a problem that is 6 years old.

You're mad because they haven't corrected a problem that doesn't exist? It's not a problem it's a feature of the device? mkiker2089 does a nice job of explaining it above.

If it bothers you this much you might want to buy a smart power strip that will power off anything plugged into it when the TV is turned off. Or a remote control power strip.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny
 
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:41 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: on/off button ?

Postby Tajson » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:11 pm

dwanthny wrote:You're mad because they haven't corrected a problem that doesn't exist? It's not a problem it's a feature of the device? mkiker2089 does a nice job of explaining it above.

If it bothers you this much you might want to buy a smart power strip that will power off anything plugged into it when the TV is turned off. Or a remote control power strip.


Our night lights with sensor use more electricity per day than the Roku streaming 4 hours and being in standby for the rest of the day.

A couple of years ago, I went over the house usage when we did use about $180 a month but last month the bill was $80. As you said, a Master/Slave power strip is golden for each hub of power usage in the house. Turn down the refridge/freezer and only turn it up if you add a lot of new things. And shut off the computers when you are not using them. Simple rules and yes, our Roku is not a M/S strip because it is only it and the tv so there would not be a saving by buying a strip. Besides, it would have to boot up every time.

Edit: Since I did test, by setting the clock on the microwave over leaving it blank, you just added a 1/4th of what the Roku is using by setting the microwave clock. :o
Tajson
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:50 am

Re: on/off button ?

Postby JimMadsen » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:48 am

Not to keep beating at the dead horse here, but I already got out my stick when I saw the comments about the thread age! So here I go beating away at it.
I personally don't give a dang about the power consumption. I never turn off my cable box, and my TV goes into standby when I turn off the stereo. And yup, the roku xs light turns off on its own.

That being said, I can say this: My dad went with the sony streamer instead of the roku because of this. He uses a hdmi switcher which auto switches to whichever device has the newest input. He was afraid that someone accidentally hitting the remote would switch it to the roku when he doesn't want it to. So there is one example of a lost sale because of the lack of a switch. I just wish he let me talk to him about ways around this, because the sony interface sucks!
JimMadsen
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:54 pm

Previous

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests