It is crazy that there is no power button!

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

It is crazy that there is no power button!

Postby Rhapsody » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:30 pm

I just got the player and I am very surprised that there is no power button.

First, because I use an active video switcher. The fact that I can't turn off the player means I have to manually unplug it so that it will switch back to the other video input.

Second, because this wastes lots of energy.

Surely this can at least be engineered to go into a low power standby that turns off the video signal and just watches for an IR code to power up.

But for now I will just unplug it.
Rhapsody

Postby ctcousineau » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:53 am

It only draws 5w when on, about what other devices use in standby.

Maybe they could change it so the video signal is terminated after an hour or so...
ctcousineau

Re: It is crazy that there is no power button!

Postby horizon » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:31 am

Rhapsody wrote:I just got the player and I am very surprised that there is no power button.

First, because I use an active video switcher. The fact that I can't turn off the player means I have to manually unplug it so that it will switch back to the other video input.

Second, because this wastes lots of energy.

Surely this can at least be engineered to go into a low power standby that turns off the video signal and just watches for an IR code to power up.

But for now I will just unplug it.

I agree, this has come up in other threads. Although, I think that the lack of power button on the player can probably be justified when you consider that the Roku guys likley had a goal to ship with a price point under $100. I am sure they did a lot of market research to come up with this cost. At $99, I am surprised that it even has an LED!

For the next generation of NP, I would think that it would be fairly cost effective solution to add an additional on/off button to the remote to provide the same function. Alternatively, as you suggested - this maybe possible today, something along the lines of an on-screen menu option to turn off the video, then press the Home (or even any) button on the remote to turn the video back on.
Roku DVP, Roku M1000 and M500 3.0.52 Beta, Sangean WFR-20, NSLU2 Unslung NAS + Twonky (WAV Library)
horizon

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion