iTunes 8 - does it work with Soundbridge???

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

iTunes 8 - does it work with Soundbridge???

Postby Ranu » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:19 pm

Having been bitten a number of times in the past by installing new iTunes versions which then won't work with my Soundbridge (until Roku create, test and release new firmware) - I don't want to download iTunes 8 which has just been released until someone can confirm it works.

Anyone else willing to give it a go and confirm?

[The Roku updates can sometimes take only a couple of days, but I remember once when it seemed to take months for the update.]
Ranu

Postby dupondt » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:48 pm

Hi Ranu,

no problems here with iTunes 8 and Firmware version 3.0.44 (seems that Apple didn't brick it this time).

Greetings
dupondt
Roku SoundBridge R1000, M1001 and M1000 • Pinnacle SoundBridge HomeMusic
DNT IP-dio • Clint L1 • Roku XD (retired) • Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV
dupondt

Can anyone else confirm...

Postby ismarketing » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:04 am

Success using iTunes 8 with the latest firmware for the soundbridge?

Thanks
ismarketing

Postby dupondt » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:48 am

Hi ismarketing,

Apple fixed the bug they built into iTunes 7.7.0 in version 7.7.1, so you should be able to use iTunes 8 with your SB regardless of the firmware version (provided it's 3.0.44 or higher).

Greetings
dupondt
dupondt

Postby ismarketing » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:33 pm

Thanks dupondt. Have you tried it? Should and does tend to be different things with the SB and iTunes.

Thanks
ismarketing

Postby bobinchicago » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:09 pm

And my brief early tests suggest that iTunes 8 works with SB firmware 2.7 as well. I want to test some more with very long filenames and tag content and also using extended and Unicode characters in both filenames and tags. But again, brief tests are promising.
bobinchicago

Postby dupondt » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:27 am

Hi ismarketing,

Have you tried it?

No, I don't put latest beta firmwares on my M1001, as I'm neither interested in BBC streams (can't listen to the geo-locked low-quality stations anyway) nor in streaming from Itunes. And my M400 which has the latest beta doesn't support Itunes sharing. But as Itunes 8 works with 3.0.44 there's no reason it shouldn't work with 3.0.52.

Should and does tend to be different things with the SB and iTunes.

Should and does are different things with almost any piece of Apple hard- and software (and yes, I own two Macs and two Ipods). Remember: it was Apple who bricked the sharing in Itunes 7.7.0.

Greetings
dupondt
dupondt

Postby neilaevans » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:50 am

blamm wrote:The new Genius playlists appear to work too. Listening to one now via
Firefly

The key though would be able to actually create a Genius playlist from the Roku...that would be a fantastic feature.
neilaevans

Postby nelsonpj » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:38 pm

neilaevans wrote:
blamm wrote:The new Genius playlists appear to work too. Listening to one now via
Firefly

The key though would be able to actually create a Genius playlist from the Roku...that would be a fantastic feature.

Yes! I agree! It would be great to have an option to create a Genius List based on the currently selected song.

I love the new Genius playlists in iTunes 8. I've got a large music collection, and I find the Roku a bit clunky to scroll through a long list to find something "random" to play. I created a few sample Genius playlists by picking a random 80's song, a 90's song, a Children's song, etc... and I was was surprised at how well it picked complementary songs.

The Genius playlists do seem to pick too many "Greatest Hits" from the music I have - but I guess this is a function of what people are actually buying on the iTunes store? It's kind of cool - the playlists sort of sound like a Sirius music channel.
nelsonpj

Return to SoundBridge General Discussion