Roku M1001 will not power on

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku M1001 will not power on

Postby PuddleOMonkey » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:20 pm

Hello,

I have had a Roku M1001 Soundbridge since April, 2007. It has been very gently used during that time with the display dimmed low. I have probably used it less than 10 times. I can't recall the last time it was used. This lack of use was largely due to a PS3 taking over networking duties. Even still, I want to be able to stream audio w/o firing up the TV. Unfortunately, now it won't turn on.

I have verified that the power supply is providing +5VDC and that the batteries in the remote are good. I have tried letting the Roku sit w/o power for several minutes and then plugging the PS back in. Still no luck...

Any other thoughts/ideas?

If this is a known issue that others have solved themselves, can you give me some repair pointers? I am competent with electronics and a soldering iron.

Thanks,
Josh

Edit: corrected date of purchase - I've had the M1001 for less than 2 years.
Last edited by PuddleOMonkey on Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
PuddleOMonkey

Re: Roku M1001 will not power on

Postby Burkhardi » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:04 pm

The wall-wart my have the 5volts but reduced or little current.
Do you have antoher 5volt wall wart that you can use in it's place for a test? Make sure the following things...
    Must have the same polarity (i think it's negitive on outside, positive on the inside (please verify first)).
    Must have the same or larger curret rating.
    The plug that goes into the M10001 need to be the same size on both the outside and inside.

PuddleOMonkey wrote:Hello,

I have had a Roku M1001 Soundbridge for over 2 years now. It has been very gently used during that time with the display dimmed low. I have probably used it less than 10 times. I can't recall the last time it was used. This lack of use was largely due to a PS3 taking over networking duties. Even still, I want to be able to stream audio w/o firing up the TV. Unfortunately, now it won't turn on.

I have verified that the power supply is providing +5VDC and that the batteries in the remote are good. I have tried letting the Roku sit w/o power for several minutes and then plugging the PS back in. Still no luck...

Any other thoughts/ideas?

If this is a known issue that others have solved themselves, can you give me some repair pointers? I am competent with electronics and a soldering iron.

Thanks,
Josh
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku
Burkhardi

Postby PuddleOMonkey » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:51 am

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, I could not find another power supply in my house that match those specifications. I have a read a few posts about people immediately replacing the power supply upon receipt of the Soundbridge. Does anyone have a suggested vendor for the preferred power supply?

Looking at the back of the M1001, I can see that the LEDs at the ethernet port are not lit, which leads me to suspect the power supply even though it is providing 5V.

I may splice the stock PS connector with a 5VDC computer power supply to see if that works...
PuddleOMonkey

Postby PuddleOMonkey » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:06 am

So I tried splicing the original PS cable and using a 5VDC/14A computer power supply. The Soundbridge will not turn on. The Ethernet ports will light up now, but the M1001 is unresponsive and shows no signs of actually turning on.

How can I safely remove the end caps to get inside?
PuddleOMonkey

Postby JimJ » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:57 am

I have the same problem and have tried to get a response from Roku tech support. Even though I have a trouble ticket open, Roku won't respond (after a week). I guess you just have to trash the unit and look for another product. Lifespan of the Soundbridge is about 24 months.
JimJ

Postby Burkhardi » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:38 pm

JimJ wrote:I have the same problem and have tried to get a response from Roku tech support. Even though I have a trouble ticket open, Roku won't respond (after a week). I guess you just have to trash the unit and look for another product. Lifespan of the Soundbridge is about 24 months.

Well if you are going to trash it, I'll pay for the shipping; I could use it!

Or if you would like, I can take a look at it for you too and see if its fixable.

Regards, Matt
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku
Burkhardi

Postby PuddleOMonkey » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:47 pm

JimJ wrote:I have the same problem and have tried to get a response from Roku tech support. Even though I have a trouble ticket open, Roku won't respond (after a week). I guess you just have to trash the unit and look for another product. Lifespan of the Soundbridge is about 24 months.

I went through the Roku Technical Support page and it took over a week to get a response, which seemed to be an auto-response telling me that someone would be contacting me within 24-48 hours. I still have not had a follow-up, but this could be because I found support through other means.

I PM'd RokuLyndon the day after I submitted the issue on the Technical Support page and he responded within hours. I recommend contacting him as he was prompt, courteous, and addressed my issues; I am returning the unit for replacement at a cost of $99 + shipping. My unit was about 6 months out of the original 1-year warranty. The replacement will also have a 1-year warranty.

Although I sincerely agree that a product should not fail w/in the first few years of use - especially when I barely used it - I do appreciate Lyndon's (and by extension Roku's) willingness to respond to my problems. I just hope the replacement will work for many years past the warranty.
PuddleOMonkey

Return to SoundBridge General Discussion