How can I limit the bandwidth used by my Netflix ROKU player

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

How can I limit the bandwidth used by my Netflix ROKU player

Postby michaelphamilton » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:46 am

I have a problem thats the opposite of many of you. Our new ROKU box uses up too much of the available bandwidth, which I have to share with others on our network. I am looking for a solution that would crank down the bandwidth to just the ROKU player. Most network throttling apps control outgoing bandwidth, but I believe I need to throttle the incoming UDP streams. Any suggestions?
michaelphamilton

Re: How can I limit the bandwidth used by my Netflix ROKU pl

Postby pnaulls » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:11 am

michaelphamilton wrote:I have a problem thats the opposite of many of you. Our new ROKU box uses up too much of the available bandwidth, which I have to share with others on our network. I am looking for a solution that would crank down the bandwidth to just the ROKU player. Most network throttling apps control outgoing bandwidth, but I believe I need to throttle the incoming UDP streams. Any suggestions?

The Roku player uses TCP. In any case, you always can't effectively throttle incoming bandwidth apart from throwing away packets. That may or may not have the required effect, depending upon the application layer, and the TCP semantics. This is unlike sending, where you can just delay stuff going out.

But the solution is easy; force the player to use a lower rate from the debug menu:

http://www.linuxhints.info/index.php/Ro ... Debug_Mode
pnaulls

Postby michaelphamilton » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:42 am

I have the new BD300 LG bluray player with built-in ROKU, so accessing the debug menu must use a different approach. FYI, the home button is the bluray player home which kicks me out of the Roku subsystem. If anyone knows how to access debug on this player please let me know.
michaelphamilton

Postby RokuJamesL » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:14 am

The BD300 has the Netflix service built in. Unfortunately, Roku as no association with that Blu-Ray players so you'll need to contact LG customer support for help. Whatever debug access is built into that player is something unique to LG.
RokuJamesL
Roku Engineering

Postby michaelphamilton » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:29 am

Thanks! If I am not successful, I'll buy your box.
michaelphamilton

Postby Denver Dave » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:17 pm

There are directions in this thread linked here to override the speed settings - it is strange, but does seem to work.

http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.ph ... 33&start=0
Denver Dave

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion