Multiple Roku Netflix boxes?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Multiple Roku Netflix boxes?

Postby lance.a.simon » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:14 pm

Love the Netflix TV box. Can I use two Roku boxes -- like one upstairs and one in the basement?
Lance A Simon
lance.a.simon

Postby seahorsejl » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:28 pm

Yes you can. I think the only limitation is how many devices are "authorized" through Netflix. This includes Roku boxes, PCs, etc. This is something like 5 or 6 though.
seahorsejl

RE:

Postby lance.a.simon » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:32 pm

Hi there, thanks for that. Is this stated anywhere online? I just don't want to buy another box and get "surprised" with extra charges or whatever... Thanks! ~Lance
Lance A Simon
lance.a.simon

Postby RWatson » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:23 pm

search the netflix web site for the answer, I know it's there. I have two boxes, no problem.

There is a limit of either 3 or 4, I also believe this is per year, so do check it out.

I can personally tell you that 2 are fine.

BUT, if you're talking about using 2 at the same time on one internet connection, that may be a real problem because of bandwidth limitations, remember, to check out your internet connection speeds. I have two boxes but at different sites
RWatson

RE:

Postby lance.a.simon » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:32 pm

Gotcha, thanks much for this info!
Lance A Simon
lance.a.simon

Postby Bron » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:41 pm

It's on the Netflix site under the same page where the Roku unit is presented. You can have 4 devices plus PC's and laptops. You need an "unlimited DVD's" account equal to the number of devices and there is a max limit on unique devices (i.e. everything including the PC's and laptops).

Really quite reasonable.
Bron

Postby thehomelessguy » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:07 pm

You can register up to 6 devices a year (xbox360's, computers, roku boxes, whatever). The only thing to be careful about is that if you do register a computer and decide to wipe your hard drive/re-install windows, that'll use up another one of your registrations (it's be nice if it was like itunes where you could log on and register/de-register computers.

The other thing (that hasn't been mentioned) is that you can have as many simultaneous streams as the DVD allowance on your netflix account. For example, I have the standard 3 DVD out at a time plan. So I can have 3 streams going on at the same time.
thehomelessguy

Postby DoomsDay » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:39 pm

thehomelessguy wrote:You can register up to 6 devices a year (xbox360's, computers, roku boxes, whatever). The only thing to be careful about is that if you do register a computer and decide to wipe your hard drive/re-install windows, that'll use up another one of your registrations (it's be nice if it was like itunes where you could log on and register/de-register computers.

The other thing (that hasn't been mentioned) is that you can have as many simultaneous streams as the DVD allowance on your netflix account. For example, I have the standard 3 DVD out at a time plan. So I can have 3 streams going on at the same time.

Computers are different now. I spoke with a netflix tech a month or two ago about that. Now, computers if they are not used for one week, the device is then put back into the pool and can be used again. Not so for the other devices. Only 4 hardware devices are allowed per year. Computers can be up to 4 as well but like I said, when one isn't used for 1 week, it is put back into the pool to be used again.
DoomsDay

Postby Shotcaller » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:09 am

Please explain the four hardware devices per year rule. Does that mean that I can register four this year, and four more next year, so that in year 2 I am allowed EIGHT devices?
Shotcaller

Postby shelleyp » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:39 am

Shotcaller wrote:Please explain the four hardware devices per year rule. Does that mean that I can register four this year, and four more next year, so that in year 2 I am allowed EIGHT devices?

No, only four at a time.

As for simultaneous watching, I have two that sometimes run at the same time. I have a 6mbps broadband connection that typically runs at 5.1 and I have no problems with both streams at the same time.
shelleyp

Postby eri3k » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:40 pm

Shotcaller wrote:Please explain the four hardware devices per year rule. Does that mean that I can register four this year, and four more next year, so that in year 2 I am allowed EIGHT devices?

You can have up to six devices activated on your account at any time. You can add and remove devices here:
https://www.netflix.com/Player
eri3k

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion