1 dot

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

1 dot

Postby John99 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:23 pm

My Roku has been working great for sometime now, but today, it showed four dots, but was extremely slow to load, and then after a short time of viewing, (a minute or so) it jumped to one dot, still loaded slow and stayed at one dot. It has not improved. I still get a high quality load through the computer but not the box.
I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in, and reconnecting but no luck.
Anyone else have these issues?
Thanks,

John
:?: [b][i][/i][/b]
John99

Postby wordtipping » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:44 pm

I have started having the same problem starting on the 2nd of Nov. My Roku player has worked fine forever and all of a sudden has just went to crap. Nothing will stream higher than 1 dot. I can wake up at 3 AM and go test it, 1 dot. Test my connection, 10MB, and still have 1 Dot. Turn of QoS, 1 Dot. Turn off every computer on my network, 1 Dot. Plug it in via LAN cable, 1 DoT.

It's driving me insane.
Last edited by wordtipping on Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wordtipping

At least we know...

Postby John99 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:49 pm

...that it must be on their end. I don't think it's a coincidence that both of us suddenly have this problem out of the blue.
I'm going to give them a call if it doesn't improve soon.
:evil:
John99

Same here

Postby Jax Maxton » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:04 pm

My Roku has been a constant 4 dots since I got it. Now it may start at 4, but it quickly drops to 1. 1 dot is nearly un-watchable. I've tried forcing it to 2 dots, but it takes FOREVER to load. This is becoming seriously annoying. It has to be on Netflix's or Roku's end since so many people have similar complaints.
Jax Maxton

Postby RebelElvis10 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:30 pm

Mine happened about a week or so ago as well. It takes forever to load, even at one dot. And my internet is fast. I can't watch anything on there right now. I haven't been able to for the last few days. Unwatchable.
RebelElvis10

Samesies

Postby killurcable » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:33 am

Same thing happened to me starting about 3 weeks ago. The player has become virtually useless. Will the roku team chime in on this thread?
killurcable

Postby RokuJamesL » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:26 pm

Can one of you who is experiencing this problem try factory resetting the box, reregistering it to your Netflix account, and then play the movie "Fifth Element" to see if it is still only giving you the one dot quality stream?
RokuJamesL
Roku Engineering

Postby killurcable » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:34 pm

I'll try it when I get home. Thanks for the reply.
killurcable

What worked for me

Postby jrisberg » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:01 pm

I experienced the same problem starting about a month ago: one-dot connections and extremely slow buffering (around 5 minutes) if I forced 4 dots

I finally power cycled both my Roku box and my router and the problem seems to have gone away. I don't always get 4 dots on my 3mb connection now, but the 5-minute buffering is gone.

Give it a try.

Joel
jrisberg

Back to normal now...

Postby John99 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:32 pm

It seems to have corrected itself or the problem was resolved by Roku or Netflix, but whoever, I thank you!
:D
John99

Postby wordtipping » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:08 pm

RokuJamesL wrote:Can one of you who is experiencing this problem try factory resetting the box, reregistering it to your Netflix account, and then play the movie "Fifth Element" to see if it is still only giving you the one dot quality stream?

I have tried this without luck so far. I did get 4 dots for about 5 minutes and then the movie rebuffered down to 1 dot.

I had luck today, 6 Nov, during the afternoon with getting 2-3 dots consistently, however at about 7:25 my Roku box dropped down to 1 dot consistently again.

If it helps, I live in northwestern PA, Meadville and I use Armstrong Cable.
wordtipping

Postby RokuMarkn » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:02 pm

Can you try enabling playback debugging and report what the message says when you start to play a movie?

--Mark
RokuMarkn
Roku Engineering

tried it

Postby killurcable » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:15 pm

I tried the factory reset. I get two dots on Fifth Element. I stopped and started a few times and eventually got 4 dots; however, the movie downloaded super slow. I checked my download speed on speakeasy.com and it's around 8mb.

Prior to approximately 3 weeks ago, I never got below 4 dots and movies downloaded quickly.

I don't know how to enable playback debugging. But will definitely do so if that would help problem solve.
killurcable

Re: tried it

Postby DoomsDay » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:07 am

killurcable wrote:I tried the factory reset. I get two dots on Fifth Element. I stopped and started a few times and eventually got 4 dots; however, the movie downloaded super slow. I checked my download speed on speakeasy.com and it's around 8mb.

Prior to approximately 3 weeks ago, I never got below 4 dots and movies downloaded quickly.

I don't know how to enable playback debugging. But will definitely do so if that would help problem solve.

To enter debug mode, all keypresses about 1/2 second a part. Hit HOME 5 times, Rew 3 times, FF 2 times. You should then be in debug mode. It may take a couple tries to get it.
DoomsDay

tried it

Postby killurcable » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:52 am

I tried debug mode. The messages basically state that the movie can't play at 3 or 4 stars over my 2 or 3 mb connection. The message is different each time. Again, when I test my download speed, I get 8 mb.

Also, If I start and stop the same movie several times, sometimes the movie will play at 4 dots.
killurcable

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion