Hotel access via wireless that requires terms of use

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Hotel access via wireless that requires terms of use

Postby bpinna » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:44 pm

We brought our Roku player along with us on our trip to Disneyworld so the kids could watch movies. There's wireless access, but via laptop you have to agree to the terms of use before you can access any site other then the hotel portal.

When we connect Roku up, it connects to the wireless network, gets an IP address, but then can't connect to Netflix. Assume this is because it doesn't know to accept the terms of use.

Is there any way to work around this?
bpinna

Postby bpinna » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:45 pm

Was thinking of trying MAC address spoofing with our laptop. That is, set laptop to spoof Roku MAC address, accept terms of use, then connect Roku. Anybody tried this?
bpinna

Postby bpinna » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:17 pm

FYI: This did work.

We purchased a utility to change the MAC address of our laptop to the wireless MAC address on the back of the Roku box. We accepted the terms of use, turned off the laptop, then went through the Roku screen to connect to the Internet. Voila, Netflix!
bpinna

Postby Kermee » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:47 pm

bpinna wrote:FYI: This did work.

We purchased a utility to change the MAC address of our laptop to the wireless MAC address on the back of the Roku box. We accepted the terms of use, turned off the laptop, then went through the Roku screen to connect to the Internet. Voila, Netflix!

Yup! That's the quick and easy way to do it!

Cheers,
Kermee
Kermee

Postby alnames » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:09 pm

I always take a small wireless router when I travel and use the wired ethernet connection in the room. That way I can plug in any device (after I accept the TOS with my laptop) like my Roku and Vonage box. It also prevents intercepting my wireless traffic by others (by using WPA encryption on the router).
alnames

Re: Hotel access via wireless that requires terms of use

Postby mdezrin » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:16 pm

I'm a newbie here and trying to get my arms around this. Can you walk me through your hotel setup with the router? I have an old linksys WRT54GS.

You plug that into the ethernet in the hotel room and run Roku wireless from that.
Is it just setup as an access point?
If the hotel doesn't have ethernet in the room and just wireless, is their a work around, or are we back to the spoofing option?
Somewhere on this board, i read something about going to http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index and putting new firmware on my old router. I can't find the post and perhaps you can help with the relevance for doing that?

And for spoofing, what software have people had luck with, and what is the risk for the PC with changing the mac address?

Any other details here would be great to post!

Thanks!

Note to Roku: this is where a small browser like channel would be good to accept the Terms.
mdezrin

Postby gts1983 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:34 am

I have traveled with my roku quiet a bit using public wifi. The easiest solution is if you have a laptop with windows 7 you can use a free app called connectify. It basically turns your windows 7 laptop into a mobile hotspot. I connect my laptop, accept the terms or service or in some cases login. Then let my roku connect wireless to my laptop hotspot. Works everytime and i don't have to keep changing setting in my roku because it is always connecting to my laptop.

www.connectify.me

PS - Also works great for multiple computers and mobile devices.
gts1983

Postby mdezrin » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:18 pm

Awesome. I'll give it a try. I've got a small netbook we travel with as well.

Thanks!
mdezrin

Postby ashes00 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:37 pm

I had similar issue while traveling. The Beach Condo had DSL but the PPOE authentication was busted (Bad UN & PW), so no Internet. I had my Touch Pro 2 PDA, Laptop, and with a few apps i did the following.

Shared the 3G connection from Touch Pro 2 to Laptop via wireless to wireless connection (App = WMWifiRouter - free version). From there shared ethernet connection (VIA ICS) of laptop to Roku via Ethernet ports. Not only did it work, but it stayed connected for about 4 days straight without having to reconnect anything.

It would resync about 2 times when loading a netflix movie/show, until it found that needed a lower connection speed. ALl in all it saved the day many times when the kids were cranky from playing on the beach all day, and needed some Spong Bob :)

-Ashes00
ashes00

Postby mdezrin » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:08 am

I think a previous poster nailed it best ... bandwidth will be the limiting factor. More and more, I'm finding doing things beyond email in hotel rooms is problematic. I was all set this weekend to test roku with a router and hub i brought. Wireless bandwidth was so bad I was unable to run the test.
mdezrin

Postby danryan28 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:01 pm

I wrote of a little blog post on how I did the MAC address spoofing with my MACBook Pro Laptop. I'll try to write one up for windows also, but I have to do it in a Virtual Machine on my mac, so it might take me some time to get it done and tested.

Here is the blog:
traveling-roku.blogspot.com
danryan28

Postby kc8pql » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:05 pm

^ Please read the forum rules:
When creating a topic, please perform a search or glance over the first two pages before posting the topic, as it may have been covered already. In general, if a thread is more than six months old, it will be best for our moderators if you generate a new thread, to prevent confusion.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion