Roku netflix player - Verizon Actiontec router

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku netflix player - Verizon Actiontec router

Postby fkoro » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:14 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to connect to a Verizon FIOS Actiontec MI424WR router via wired ethernet. I get the "Cannot connect to loal network" error. I set my firewall settings to minimum security and there' s no mac address filtering. The roku device actually shows up under my network places in the router settings when I check. Roku tech support didn't seem too have too much information on the Verizon router settings. Verizon tech support recommned suing "port forwarding". Nothing has worked so far. Has anyone had similar trouble connecting to a verizon router? Thanks for your help.
fkoro

Postby wideasleep1 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:34 pm

Under 'My Network', does it show DHCP has given an IP address? Are there any warnings associated with the NP's entry, when clicked on it's icon? Can you ping the NP's IP addy successfully?
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!
wideasleep1

Postby fkoro » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:05 pm

Thanks for the response. It finally worked. I added a new device in the port forwarding menu of the router settings. I also had to pick a protocol. I picked http which seemed to do the trick.
fkoro

Actiontec

Postby givathugahug » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:49 pm

I also have FiOS(20/20) and I have gone through 2 of the Actiontec routers and so have two other people that I know from work. The routers really aren't great at all, the only reason I use it is because you need it for advanced tv services. However I don't use it as my main router, I have it on a subnet with a different router as my main.

So you know I've had lots of DHCP issues where it's not giving out new IP's, I've had overheating issues in a small office with 24/7 AC, it also has a bad wireless card and the signal craps out regularly.
givathugahug

Re: Roku netflix player - Verizon Actiontec router

Postby spetras73 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:50 am

Hi,

I am currently stuck trying to do this. my Roku just will NOT get an IP from the stupid ActionTec router. wired or wireless. how do you forward a port to a device that doesn't have a static IP? (that is what Roku phone support told me to do.)

please help, i really want to get this working. :(

Thanks.
spetras73

Postby CalvinMcGowan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:26 am

spetras73 wrote:Hi, I am currently stuck trying to do this. my Roku just will NOT get an IP from the stupid ActionTec router. wired or wireless. how do you forward a port to a device that doesn't have a static IP? (that is what Roku phone support told me to do.) please help, i really want to get this working. :( Thanks.

Assuming you have the Actiontec MI424WR router (you did not specify),
try using the information provided at
http://www.actiontec.com/howto/h2_detai ... 9&cat_id=3
for basic port forwarding or
http://www.actiontec.com/howto/h2_detai ... 7&cat_id=3
for advance port forwarding.

If you do not have the MI424WR go to
http://www.actiontec.com/howto/h2_cat.php?cat_id=3
to find information on the router you do have.
CalvinMcGowan

Postby rkp2k » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:01 pm

I understand how to do the port forwarding but I cannot get my Roku XDS to get an IP address. I have tried wired and it gets green on the wireless but cannot connect to the local network. I have now tried a wired connection and it still cannot connect to the router. It is not getting an IP address so I cannot do any port forwarding.

Any help would be good.

I have the FIOS Actiontec router.
rkp2k

Postby KadooKDB » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:19 pm

I have the same exact situation. None of the solutions listed have worked.

Any ideas?

It worked just fine when I had a different device doing the DHCP device. Any help would be welcomed. Roku guys have any comments?
KadooKDB

Postby moval1 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:03 pm

Port forwarding worked for me! But it's a good idea to take it further.

ISP: Verizon FIOS
Router: Actiontec MI424WR-GEN2 v. F
Roku: XDS

The other night my Roku box started having trouble accessing my Netflix queue, and yesterday it dropped the connection completely.
I could've spat nails at the thought of having to reset my router yet again, or shelling out cash for an additional router or access point because the Roku couldn't keep the connection.

Long story short, I:
1.) Setup wireless MAC address filtering.
2.) Assigned a static IP address to the Roku box.
3.) Set up 2 port forwarding rules under Firewall Settings \ Port Forwarding.
A. Created a new port forwarding rule: Select the Roku box and Custom Ports.
B. Set up Protocol: TCP. Source Ports: Specify. Destination Ports: Specify.
C. Didn't change WAN Connection Type: Broadband Devices. Set Forward to Port: Specify.
D. Entered 80 for all 3 ports.
4.) Clicked the Add button to save my work.
5.) Went back to step 3a and set up a rule using port 443.
6.) Clicked Apply to leave the screen.
7.) Finally tested my Roku by going through the guided setup again.

Roku connected to the Internet and everything was good again.

5/22/11 update: I disabled wireless MAC filtering because this model router tends to drop all but the last address when you try to add more than 5 MAC addresses.
Last edited by moval1 on Sun May 22, 2011 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
moval1

Postby mallwalker » Tue May 17, 2011 3:39 am

It may help to say which model/Rev Actiontec you are using.
For example, I used to have a Rev A which would not reliably, assign an IP to a wireless Kindle eBook reader I have. When Verizon swapped it out to a Rev D, the connection difficulties vanished.
It did take a phone call to tech support at verizon to get the swap out of routers.
mallwalker

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion