Wake-on-LAN ?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Wake-on-LAN ?

Postby Peter » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:13 am

I thought I've read sometimes ago on this forum, that in case the Soundbridge doesn't find the server it was connected to last time, it would broadcast the magic WOL packet to wake up the server and then retry to connect to it.

Tried this from my Soundbridge over WIFI and ethernet but the server didn't wake up. I can wake it up from another computer, so it is capable of doing wake-on-LAN.

Was this just my wishful thinking or did it work in some beta but never made it the the final v3 firmware?

Greetings

Peter
Peter

Postby Peter » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:05 am

The overwhelming response to my question :wink:, makes me believe, there is no WOL functionality in the Soundbridge. Right?

Peter
Peter

Postby S80_UK » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:29 am

Hello Peter,

To the best of my knowledge the WOL feature has never been supported.
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i
S80_UK

Re: Wake-on-LAN ?

Postby stricko » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:34 am

OK guys, I've resusitated a very old thread here.

Is this still the definitive position reagrding Soundbridges and WOL?

If so, has anyone come up with any sort of tricky work around... My server is getting pretty big now (6tb and rising) and I'd raelly like to put the thing into standby as often as possible. I've sussed ou WOL for my basic PCs and a couple of HTPCs, but I really don't want to have to manually power on the server everytime I want to use a Soundbridge.

Alternatively, and I know this is heresy, but does anyone know of any internet radios/Upnp palyers that do support WOL?

Thanks
stricko

Postby jjaf » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:54 am

WOL will never be implemented on the Soundbridge (even if it is technically possible) because the product is no longer developed by Roku. Any workaround involving another device is self defeating since that other device would have to remain powered on. If power consumption is your concern then consider buying a low power NAS box.
R1000, M400, M1001
jjaf

Postby stricko » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:17 am

Thanks, thought that might be the case. To get a new NAS with sufficient capacity would cost a lot more than anything I'm going to save on power, and I'd have to reconsider a lot of stuff like back-up strategies, media server choice. I use JRiver, which allows me to set up the server exactly the way I want it. Probably wouldn't be able to match it, given previous experience with Twonky etc.

One interesting alternative I'm looking at is to use a WOL app on a phone, and maybe also use the media server app on the phone. Still a 2 stage process, but might work.
stricko

Return to SoundBridge General Discussion