Can I connect to a Digital Converter Box?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Can I connect to a Digital Converter Box?

Postby walera » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:47 pm

Hi, I have a digital converter box on my old television so that the TV will still work after the February switch to digital broadcasts. I do not have cable.

Has anyone tried connecting the Roku netflix player to a digital converter box? I'd like to make sure this will work before purchasing a Roku.

Thanks for your help.
walera

Postby Budd » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:49 pm

The Roku player connects directly to the TV using one of the many connections on the back. Make sure your TV has an input compatible with one of them.
Budd

But how can I connect to both TV AND digital converter box?

Postby walera » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:15 pm

THanks for the response, but my TV's outputs are already connected to the Digital Coverter Box. I therefore can't directly connect to the Roku Netflix Player as well (not enough jacks available!) -- I'd have to do that through the coverter box, I think. I'm wondering if anyone has experience doing that.

Thanks
walera

Postby mconwell » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:19 pm

You might try a store like Radio Shack to see if they offer an A/B switch that fits your needs. My mother had good luck getting similar issues resolved on her older television with only 1 input (though it didn't involve a Roku).
mconwell

Postby booyah5 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:18 am

Connect your converter box to the TV using coax cable and tune to channel 3/4. Then hook up your Roku to the TV with the RCA yellow/red/white cables.

I've never seen a converter box that had RCA pass inputs.
booyah5

Re: Can I connect to a Digital Converter Box?

Postby jwarren385 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:42 pm

the problem i'm having is that my converter box is hooked up with my t.v. by coax cable; moreover both tv and converter box have room for rca rwy cable. still nothing happens. can someone please help? btw, i have a roku hd. does my tv have to be hd too? thanks, jack
jwarren385

Postby kc8pql » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:53 pm

Did you change the TV input setting from coax (antenna) to composite (video) for the Roku? Connect the Roku directly to the TV. No your TV doesn't have to be HD.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby stratcat96 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:07 pm

jwarren385 wrote:the problem i'm having is that my converter box is hooked up with my t.v. by coax cable; moreover both tv and converter box have room for rca rwy cable. still nothing happens. can someone please help? btw, i have a roku hd. does my tv have to be hd too? thanks, jack

the rca jacks on your converter box are outputs, not inputs. Plug the Roku directly into the TV and switch the TV to that corresponding input.
stratcat96

Postby jwarren385 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:18 pm

Thanks for your response. I did plug the rca wry cable to the corresponding ones on the front of the tv (there's none on the back of the tv). Nothing happened. also, how do you change your tv's input? any help would be appreciated.
jwarren385

Postby stratcat96 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:22 pm

jwarren385 wrote:Thanks for your response. I did plug the rca wry cable to the corresponding ones on the front of the tv (there's none on the back of the tv). Nothing happened. also, how do you change your tv's input? any help would be appreciated.

tell us what the model of your tv is so we can tell you exactly what buttons to press, but w/o knowing there should be a button on your remote for "source" or "input" or something else to that effect. Pressing that will cycle the inputs on the TV. There also could/should be a button on the front of the TV labeled similarly to perform that function
stratcat96

Postby jwarren385 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:55 pm

Very much appreciate your response. My tv is a Sylvania 27 inch model # SRT2227X. There is no "source" button on either the remote or the tv. The closest I come up with is the menu button which wasn't helpful. What's my next move? Thanks again.
jwarren385

Postby stratcat96 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:15 pm

jwarren385 wrote:Very much appreciate your response. My tv is a Sylvania 27 inch model # SRT2227X. There is no "source" button on either the remote or the tv. The closest I come up with is the menu button which wasn't helpful. What's my next move? Thanks again.

ok, according to the manual for your TV, you have RCA inputs on both the front and back of the TV. Connect to whichever set you want, and to cycle to that input source, select the "game" button on the remote. :)

for future reference, here is a .pdf of your TV's manual http://www.manualshark.org/manualshark/files/21/pdf_14912.pdf

hope that helps!
stratcat96

Postby jwarren385 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:35 pm

Man, did it ever! Got everything set up. Great video! Your "game button" suggestion was brilliant. Thank you very much. :D
jwarren385

Postby stratcat96 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:40 pm

jwarren385 wrote:Man, did it ever! Got everything set up. Great video! Your "game button" suggestion was brilliant. Thank you very much. :D

awesome! anytime ;)
stratcat96

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion