How do you connect a router to cable modem?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

How do you connect a router to cable modem?

Postby robertf31 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:32 pm

I am a senior looking for help. Please be gentle.
I am considering buying the Roku Netflix player but I am confused by the router setup. Exactly how is it set up with my Time Warner Cable modem. The modem is also used for my telephone. It has one open UBS port on the back of the modem. Where would the router be plugged in? I would like to use an ethernet wired connection to my TV which isn't too far from the computer. If you could guide me thru the setup I would really appreciate it.

Robert
robertf31

Postby nathug » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:43 pm

What modem and phone system are you using? And how is it wired up?

Nate
nathug

Postby robertf31 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:50 pm

Arris Modem. Phone service is provided by Time Warner Cable.

Robert
robertf31

Postby -LD » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:11 pm

How does your computer connect to the modem today? It is via a wired Ethernet connection?

The open USB port on the modem won't help you in this case. However, and it sounds like you are thinking along these lines already, you can get a simple router that would also have an Ethernet switch (more than a single port).

Linksys or Netgear are good, reasonably priced options. Expect to spend around $50. You don't necessarily need a wireless router. Usually you get an a wired "DSL/Cable router". That's usually how they are labeled. Be sure it has at least 3-5 LAN ports.

Then you plug an Ethernet cable from the new router to your modem, typically this is labeled WAN or Internet. Plug your computer and Roku into the LAN ports, also with Ethernet cables.

In theory, that should be all that is required and everything else should just work.
-LD

Re: How do you connect a router to cable modem?

Postby kumasuki » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:19 pm

A router is connected to a cable modem via an RJ45 cable - RJ45 (or 'ethernet' cable) looks much like a standard telephone cable (same clip connector at the end except 'fatter' having 8 wires instead of 4). Your cable modem maybe directly connected to your computer right now (just guessing) with an ethernet cable. If so, that cable would have to instead be connected to a router. The router would likely have 4 (or more) additional ethernet ports. The computer would then be connected to one of those additional ports using a new RJ45 cable. Finally, the Roku box would be connected to yet another unused port on the router. (In this manner your internet connection is 'split' to multiple devices simultaneously - PC, Roku, etc).
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby DoomsDay » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:36 pm

This should work for any router, not just linksys. Here is a how to video
http://www.purenetworks.com/advice/
DoomsDay

Postby robertf31 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:44 am

Yes, my modem is connected to my computer with an ethernet cable.
You all have been very helpful and made the setup of the router seem very simple. I am going ahead and will order the Roku Netflix player and buy a router locally. If I run into any trouble setting it up I'll be back for your expert advice.

Thanks again and my best wishes for a Happy and Healthy 2009.

Robert in upstate New York
robertf31

Router

Postby robertf31 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:29 pm

Will this router work with the Roku Netflix player?

Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port 10/100 Switch (BEFSR41)

Robert
robertf31

Postby RWatson » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:58 pm

Answer is yes, but you probably want to buy the WRT54G which is actually cheaper on Amazon. This one is also a wireless version as well as having 4 wired ports. I have two, each connected to a Roku, they work perfectly. You can use the ROKU either wired or wireless with them. Make sure you secure your wireless connections if you go that route.

Also, with either one your router takes on the function of any sign ons you do for your cable connection but the information that comes with these units is very easy to use. Don't be afraid of them, they are wonderful devices.
RWatson

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion