Switching between Roku and cable tv

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Switching between Roku and cable tv

Postby clbattle » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:54 pm

I just installed my Roku device and it seemed to be working great. The problem came when, after watching my movie, I tried to switch back to watching regular tv via my Comcast cable connection. When I click on the video input button to switch back to cable, now I cannot get regular television.

I called the Roku help line, but clearly the woman was just reading a script. The disturbing thing is that she told me that I cannot have my cable box hooked up at the same time I have the Roku box hooked up. This seems so crazy that I distrust her information.

Surely, this is incorrect? While I really do like the new ability to watch streaming Netflix movies via Roku, I certainly don't like it enough to give up regular cable television. I am hoping that the lady on the Roku help line was simply misinformed?

Can anybody help me?
clbattle

Re: Switching between Roku and cable tv

Postby nowhereman » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:01 pm

I don't know if I can offer any help with your problem, but I can definitely tell you that the service rep told you wrong. I have the Roku box and a media center PC and traditional cable all hooked up to the same TV and it all works fine.
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix
nowhereman

Postby spumoni » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:23 pm

The rep is either misinformed or misspoke.

It should simply be a matter of changing the settings on your TV (or A/V receiver) to switch back to the input to which the cable is connected.

I have my Roku, a DirecTV HD DVR, an Apple TV and a blu-ray player all connected... and can freely switch between them all simply by selecting the appropriate inputs on my TV and my home theater receiver.
spumoni

Postby harvdog » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:24 pm

So do I. I am going to assume you have the cable box and the Roku plugged into different inputs on your TV. You just need to make sure you are changing the input from the TV control to get to the right box you want to watch.
harvdog

Re: Switching between Roku and cable tv

Postby elorimer » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:04 am

clbattle wrote:I just installed my Roku device and it seemed to be working great. The problem came when, after watching my movie, I tried to switch back to watching regular tv via my Comcast cable connection. When I click on the video input button to switch back to cable, now I cannot get regular television.

As the responses say, this is probably an input selection issue rather than a Roku issue. If you post how you have the Roku box and the cable hooked up, particularly if and how you run it through an A/V receiver, and what the model TV and receiver you are using, I think people here can sort it out.
elorimer

Figured it out -- thanks!

Postby clbattle » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:42 pm

Thank you for all the prompt responses. I was able to figure it out; it was indeed a problem with my tv and set-up. Thanks to all.
clbattle

Re: Figured it out -- thanks!

Postby spumoni » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:10 pm

clbattle wrote:Thank you for all the prompt responses. I was able to figure it out; it was indeed a problem with my tv and set-up. Thanks to all.

Glad to hear that you got it all sorted out... happy Netflix watching!
spumoni

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion