Roku Player keeps turning off...

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Roku Player keeps turning off...

Postby zircadia » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:48 am

My player keeps turning off for no apparent reason. I haven't tried while watching it, but we'll be using another device through our TV and notice the light is no longer flashing. It will turn on with a restart, but then later will shut off again. What gives???
zircadia

Postby Ingulphus » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:16 am

It automatically goes in to sleep mode when there's no activity. If you had your TV switched to it during this time, you'd see the floating Roku screen saver graphic.
Ingulphus

Re: Roku Player keeps turning off...

Postby spumoni » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:21 am

zircadia wrote:My player keeps turning off for no apparent reason. I haven't tried while watching it, but we'll be using another device through our TV and notice the light is no longer flashing. It will turn on with a restart, but then later will shut off again. What gives???

A change in v1.5 firmware causes the light to go out when the box is in sleep mode (that is, when the screen saver is active).
spumoni

Postby zircadia » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:49 am

Well the problem is that when we go back it's not a Roku logo floating happily in space, it's a GREEN SCREEN. And we then have to unplug/replug to get Roku to restart and then it is fine. ? Any thoughts on the green screen of doom? The thing is, if we make selections w/ the remote we can actually hear it moving, so I guess it does make sense that it's not OFF off. But it's not really BACK either.
zircadia

Postby Ingulphus » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:05 am

Is it connected via HDMI or component? I've read elsewhere in the forum (here: http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=18960&highlight=hdmi+handshake) that some models of TVs have a problem with the HDMI "handshake", which accounts for the the Green Screen of Doom. Some of the comments there may be of help.
Ingulphus

Postby zircadia » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:30 pm

THANKS! It IS connected via HDMI and the symptoms sounded identical to those in that forum, although unfortunately the solutions so far have been switch to component... one person suggested upgrading the HDMI cable would work but not sure if anyone else has had success with that yet, or what kind I'm currently using.
zircadia

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion