Roku will not connect to Internet

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku will not connect to Internet

Postby ev200032 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:38 pm

Roku was working great. Tonite it will not connect to Internet. I powercycled the Roku and the D-Link DIR 655 router (CAT 5 wired network connection) and the Roku still will not connect. Router shows Roku DHCP IP address and I can see the MAC address. This has me stumped.

Ideas, fixes or suggestions appreciated...

Thanks in advance. :(
ev200032

Postby forrman » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:42 pm

Try a factory reset on your Roku box - its in the settings area. FWIW - there's all kinds of wacky stuff going on tonight, so its probably not just you. I would leave it and wait till the morning, or try the factory reset.
forrman

Postby TaylorH » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:47 pm

It may be unable to connect to Netflix, thereby thinking it's not connected to the internet because that's what it uses to verify an internet connection. Netflix appears to be having outage problems this evening.
If you're unable to connect, this may be why.
Former Roku employee
TaylorH

Postby ev200032 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:55 pm

Man, you are fast! Thanks, I'll try again in the morning. On the factory reset, any tips? Power on, hold reset button down 15 seconds and release or ...
ev200032

Postby TaylorH » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:02 pm

ev200032 wrote:Man, you are fast! Thanks, I'll try again in the morning. On the factory reset, any tips? Power on, hold reset button down 15 seconds and release or ...
That'll do it (a factory reset.) That will put you back to 'new' state.
Netflix is usually not down for more than a few hours when it happens (which isn't often.)

I'll also review how we verify an internet connection. Once we introduce Amazon, the Netflix service is no longer a requirement to use the box. Therefore I think you should be able to complete setup even if Netflix didn't exist. This is more of a historical thing.
That is, if this is really the cause of the problem.
Former Roku employee
TaylorH

Roku will not connect to local network

Postby ev200032 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:07 am

Last evening could not connect to internet, this morning can't connect to local network.

Roku can not connect to local network.
1) Ethernet is passing traffic (blinking light next to ethernet cable)
2) Light on front of Roku is on steady
3) Router shows Roku MAC address and IP assigned
4) Other devices on network connect to Internet just fine
5) Reset done and still no local network connection
6) Power cycled both Roku and Router (D-Link DIR 655)

Any ideas?
ev200032

Postby vmps » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:24 am

It's pretty clear from all the posts on various topics that netflix was having trouble last night, so resetting anything on your end isn't likely to fix the problem.
vmps

Postby rwilson » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:09 pm

I have the same problem.
Can't connect to the internet from my home, brand new box and it won't work.

i'm using Astound.
I've tried every thing
I even changed the DNS server to the open DNS server specified in the other thread.

I took the box to work and it worked there,
I tried calling tech support and got rerouted back to Http://roku.com/netflix pretty sucky support.

Went home and directly plugged the ox into the cable modem and the device still will not connect to internet. bypassing the Linksys WRT100 router.

Becasue the lack of diagnostics in the product and lack of support, I'm returnng the prodict. As far as I'm concerned the box does not support my ISP.
rwilson

Postby eri3k » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:32 pm

rwilson wrote:Can't connect to the internet from my home, brand new box and it won't work... I took the box to work and it worked there...

i'm using Astound.

I'm an Astound Broadband customer too, and I have had zero problems using the player since it came on the market.

Let me see if I understand correctly. Your player is fully functional at work. You take it home and it can't connect to the internet. The only difference between work and home is the internet connection. Unfortunately you did not supply us with any additional information, so we can't help you diagnose your problem.

I'm sorry you won't be hanging around. We'll miss you. :(
eri3k

Postby ponyboicoitus » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:49 pm

I want to bump this discussion. My roku box recently stopped working ONLY on my connection. It will connect to other people's wireless. It will not connect to my wired connection nor my wireless connection.

When trying to connect to my connection: it detects the Ethernet cord and connects to my local network. It will NOT connect to the internet.

When trying to connect to someone else's connection: connects fine.

PLEASE HELP

PS
I have already factory reset the roku and reset the modem. I have done what seems as countless different plugging in and out cords into both the modem and roku.

My modem does not have a firewall.
My modem is a Linksys.

Again, everything was working fine till 2 days ago...then boom...my roku hates ONLY MY internet.
ponyboicoitus

Postby wideasleep1 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:57 pm

ponyboicoitus wrote:I want to bump this discussion. My roku box recently stopped working ONLY on my connection. It will connect to other people's wireless. It will not connect to my wired connection nor my wireless connection.

When trying to connect to my connection: it detects the Ethernet cord and connects to my local network. It will NOT connect to the internet.

When trying to connect to someone else's connection: connects fine.

PLEASE HELP

PS
I have already factory reset the roku and reset the modem. I have done what seems as countless different plugging in and out cords into both the modem and roku.

My modem does not have a firewall.
My modem is a Linksys.

Again, everything was working fine till 2 days ago...then boom...my roku hates ONLY MY internet.

Please create a sigline with your details: router maker, model and version, firmware version, ISP and bandwidth package, for now and future help. ;)
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!
wideasleep1

I had this problem too -- this worked for me

Postby Micultra » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:28 am

I was trying to connect using wireless. Just to try to figure out if it was a problem with my network or my modem, I hooked my modem up directly to my roku using an ethernet cord. I was able to get the roku to connect to the internet this way. I reconnected my modem back to my computer and then tried to connect my roku to the internet wirelessly again and this time it worked. Must have reset something somewhere.
Micultra

Re: I had this problem too -- this worked for me

Postby Mark12547 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:29 pm

Micultra wrote:I was trying to connect using wireless. Just to try to figure out if it was a problem with my network or my modem, I hooked my modem up directly to my roku using an ethernet cord. I was able to get the roku to connect to the internet this way. I reconnected my modem back to my computer and then tried to connect my roku to the internet wirelessly again and this time it worked. Must have reset something somewhere.

Maybe it acquired a DNS server.

Maybe it did a software upgrade (which generally takes a couple of minutes on a broadband connection). The version of the software that ships on the box isn't as robust in handling Internet connections as the more recent versions of the software.

In any case, I'm glad it's working for you now!
Mark12547

Roku suddenly cannot connect to internet for the past 2 days

Postby ronniem » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:32 am

My roku has been working fine but when I turned it on tonight, it couldn't connect to the internet - both wireless [which is my usual option] or via an ethernet cable [when i thought it was my wireless failing].

My internet seems to be working fine as I am able to go on the internet wirelessly from my laptop.

I did a factory reset on the roku but it still does not connect.

What steps should I take now? I am connecting wirelessly through linksys.
ronniem

Postby Sgooter » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:17 am

Usually it's an IP address issue, so power off your router and wait about 1 minute, then power it up again. This should cause your router to issue a new/renewed IP address for the Roku.
Sgooter

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion