Verizon Fios Internet

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Verizon Fios Internet

Postby pegleg » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:41 am

I was told by Verizon rep that Verizon Fios Internet will not support the Roku. Is that correct. Doesn't sound right to me? I haven't ordered it yet once they told me that.
pegleg

Postby scyber » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:51 am

A) Verizon Reps are mostly idiots. Same is true about most online reps. Especially 1st level tech support.

B) I stream netflix to my TiVos all of the time on FIOS. The roku is another location (connected to cablevision internet), but I can't imagine there would be any issue.

C) Perhaps the rep meant that Verizon won't "support" the roku in the sense that if something is wrong with the box, you can't call Verizon for help.
scyber

Re: Verizon Fios Internet

Postby vmps » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:53 am

pegleg wrote:I was told by Verizon rep that Verizon Fios Internet will not support the Roku. Is that correct. Doesn't sound right to me? I haven't ordered it yet once they told me that.

Verizon Fios is a great service, and I've been using it happily with my roku. One thing to remember if you get the service: the reps are idiots. Avoid talking to them, and you'll have a very happy experience. :D
vmps

Re: Verizon Fios Internet

Postby KennyJ » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:23 pm

pegleg wrote:I was told by Verizon rep that Verizon Fios Internet will not support the Roku. Is that correct. Doesn't sound right to me? I haven't ordered it yet once they told me that.

He's wrong. I use it just fine. Verizon customer service/tech support is some of the worst I've ever encountered. But I like their product. I was told once by a Verizon tech rep that my DSL stopped working because my phone cord was too long. :roll:
KennyJ

Watching over Verizon FIOS now...

Postby wonderbird » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:02 pm

I think what they mean is if you need help troubleshooting any problems with your Roku box do not look to Verizon for help. (Same pretty much applies for your computer for that matter...) Do not let their "lack of support" stop you from using the bandwidth you buy from them for whatever you feel like using it for...
wonderbird

verizon

Postby spark760 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:08 pm

Just got the box, but can not sign on to the local network--have disabled the router firewall still not working have a actiontec mi424wr router, is that the problem
spark760

Postby eri3k » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:37 pm

Here are some threads where Verizon FiOS users discuss how they were able to get the player to work with their router:
http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=17140
http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=18049
http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=18453

I don't have Verizon, so I can't endorse any particular solution.
eri3k

Postby chaos » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 pm

I have the Verizon FIOS internet with the Dlink router that Verizon provided. I had no issues hooking up the Roku box.
chaos

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion