Hulu on Roku?

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Would you also like to see Hulu TV available on the Roku box?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 87

Hulu on Roku?

Postby Plisko » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:00 pm

What are the chances of Roku starting up a partnership to deliver the videos from the Hulu TV website to the Roku box? The website looks a lot like the way netflix works including a "queue" that you can put all the movies and TV you want to see inside of. It doesn't seem like it would be too technically difficult to access that queue just like the netflix queue.

I suppose the only issue is the licensing rights. I would gladly watch the promos that Hulu puts on the videos in order to have them on my TV.
Plisko

Re: Hulu on Roku?

Postby billc124 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:17 pm

Plisko wrote:What are the chances of Roku starting up a partnership to deliver the videos from the Hulu TV website to the Roku box? The website looks a lot like the way netflix works including a "queue" that you can put all the movies and TV you want to see inside of. It doesn't seem like it would be too technically difficult to access that queue just like the netflix queue.

I suppose the only issue is the licensing rights. I would gladly watch the promos that Hulu puts on the videos in order to have them on my TV.

This issue has been beaten to death. There have been other numerous polls, no need for yet another one. Roku is going to release an SDK for the box so that anyone who wants to stream their content to the box can do so or at least anyone Roku approves. My guess is that Roku will leave it up to Hulu to do the coding necessary to get it to work. It would be smart for Hulu to do.
billc124

Postby Plisko » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:57 pm

billc124 wrote:
Plisko wrote:What are the chances of Roku starting up a partnership to deliver the videos from the Hulu TV website to the Roku box? The website looks a lot like the way netflix works including a "queue" that you can put all the movies and TV you want to see inside of. It doesn't seem like it would be too technically difficult to access that queue just like the netflix queue.

This issue has been beaten to death. There have been other numerous polls, no need for yet another one. Roku is going to release an SDK for the box so that anyone who wants to stream their content to the box can do so or at least anyone Roku approves. My guess is that Roku will leave it up to Hulu to do the coding necessary to get it to work. It would be smart for Hulu to do.

Apologies if I brought up an old subject. I just joined and I scanned down a ways but I guess I missed the previous discussions/polls. I'll use the search features more carefully next time.

Thanks for the info.
Plisko

Postby pawnblue » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:51 pm

I never mind another hulu poll. I'm waiting on hulu (or a comparable service) to buy a second (and maybe a 3rd) Roku box.

It can't slow down the hulu cause for the Roku devs to realize that people come to these forums searching to see if the box plans on supporting hulu.

I don't know all the intricacies of Roku's business. Do they collect revenue from Netflix or are they solely a hardware company? But if they are primarily funded through hardware, it's good for them to know that adding hulu is going to move units.
pawnblue

Postby Ryan » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:04 pm

pawnblue wrote:I never mind another hulu poll. I'm waiting on hulu (or a comparable service) to buy a second (and maybe a 3rd) Roku box.

It can't slow down the hulu cause for the Roku devs to realize that people come to these forums searching to see if the box plans on supporting hulu.

I don't know all the intricacies of Roku's business. Do they collect revenue from Netflix or are they solely a hardware company? But if they are primarily funded through hardware, it's good for them to know that adding hulu is going to move units.

I would have assumed Netflix is subsidizing a good chunk of the cost of the box, but Roku adding Amazon VOD makes me rethink that. Perhaps Netflix doesn't mind since AVOD is pay-per-view and pay-to-own instead of subscription. That could also be why we don't see Hulu since it's almost a direct competitor to Netflix's service.
Ryan

Postby billc124 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:02 am

Ryan wrote:
pawnblue wrote:I never mind another hulu poll. I'm waiting on hulu (or a comparable service) to buy a second (and maybe a 3rd) Roku box.

I would have assumed Netflix is subsidizing a good chunk of the cost of the box, but Roku adding Amazon VOD makes me rethink that. Perhaps Netflix doesn't mind since AVOD is pay-per-view and pay-to-own instead of subscription. That could also be why we don't see Hulu since it's almost a direct competitor to Netflix's service.

I really don't know how much the Roku devs really have to do with the content. They have an SDK, that means that the content providers can develop their own channel for the box, I think the Roku devs work more on the platform that the channels run on, not the channels themselves. I would assume that if Hulu wants to be on the Roku they could get the SDK when available or approach Roku to get it before hand. Bear in mind who owns Hulu, Fox and NBC. The entertainment industry is stupid in my opinion, so who knows if they will want to take advantage of the potential the Roku brings to them. What people don't seem to get is that Hulu has to WANT to be on the Roku, who is to say that Roku hasn't already approached them and they said no?
billc124

Postby pawnblue » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:18 pm

billc124 wrote:I really don't know how much the Roku devs really have to do with the content. They have an SDK, that means that the content providers can develop their own channel for the box, I think the Roku devs work more on the platform that the channels run on, not the channels themselves. I would assume that if Hulu wants to be on the Roku they could get the SDK when available or approach Roku to get it before hand. Bear in mind who owns Hulu, Fox and NBC. The entertainment industry is stupid in my opinion, so who knows if they will want to take advantage of the potential the Roku brings to them. What people don't seem to get is that Hulu has to WANT to be on the Roku, who is to say that Roku hasn't already approached them and they said no?

I don't see why Hulu has to want anything? If the Roku box can be made to interpret the stream, then why wouldn't it be on this box? It's out there on the internet for any browser. Boxee on Apple TV or PlayON on a PS3 don't seem to have problems with getting hulu on a TV.

I still think it goes back to the business model. If Roku is selling hardware, then they should want any content that might entice anyone to buy. It would be in the developer's interest to expand content that can be accessed. Hulu seems to be the most requested feature, so we should expect it soon.

But if Roku receives profit from Netflix or Amazon, then they wouldn't want the competition on the box. They want to offer convenience for pay services. This is fine and I'll still love my Roku, but it wouldn't be as versatile as a game console with some extra software.
pawnblue

Postby wideasleep1 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:06 pm

pawnblue wrote:I don't see why Hulu has to want anything? ... so we should expect it soon....

As we can only speculate, I suspect that HULU itself is the stumbling block. Perhaps they have given exclusivity elsewhwere, perhaps there's a $ pricetag Roku is unwilling to bear, perhaps contractual and QoS issues still remain unresolved...whatever! We don't know, beyond we want it, and assume Roku wants it, so all we can do is hope it happens, but it would be setting oneself up for disappointment if '(so) we should expect it soon'. :)
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!
wideasleep1

Postby pawnblue » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:46 am

Can someone explain to me in simple terms how hulu can put content on the web, but then needs a deal with roku to access that content?

Is there something in the TOS?

Why can't the roku box navigate to http://www.hulu.com/users/queue and display that content? I understand roku would need to develop the software to interpret that, but I don't know how they can stop the box from accessing available content? They can't stop anyone else from doing it.
pawnblue

Postby joendsu » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:46 am

pawnblue wrote:Can someone explain to me in simple terms how hulu can put content on the web, but then needs a deal with roku to access that content?

Why can't the roku box navigate to http://www.hulu.com/users/queue and display that content? I understand roku would need to develop the software to interpret that, but I don't know how they can stop the box from accessing available content? They can't stop anyone else from doing it.

I agree - if the content is free\public on the web, there should be no restriction on Roku providing access through the Roku Player. Same goes for the network websites that provide series episodes. The "only" hurdle for Roku should be developing the interface.
joendsu

Postby seventree » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:55 am

pawnblue wrote:Can someone explain to me in simple terms how hulu can put content on the web, but then needs a deal with roku to access that content?

Here's what I think is a problem with that. (This is mostly informed guesswork, so if someone with better info wants to correct me please do.)

Hulu content is not a simple video stream. When you click on a link the Adobe Flash player starts and negotiates witth the server for delivery of the program content. The primary content (tv episode for example) is a single continous FLV file, however it contains coded instructions to pause the main program and play "commercials" from separate streams at intervals determined by the content provider (NBC, etc). Adobe has built protections into these protocols to prevent end users from either skipping the commercials or downloading permanent copies of the content stream.

It would be technically feasible to write a Hulu client that would stand in for the Adobe player and redirect the final stream, as seen by a Hulu user, to the Roku device. But it would also be illegal without permission from Adobe and the Hulu content provider. So aside from the technical challenges, probably only Hulu could make Roku access legal -- if they even want to.

Discussion and/or civil argument welcome.
seventree

Postby Ryan » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:57 am

joendsu wrote:

I agree - if the content is free\public on the web, there should be no restriction on Roku providing access through the Roku Player. Same goes for the network websites that provide series episodes. The "only" hurdle for Roku should be developing the interface.

There may not be restriction from Hulu, but there could be from Netflix. They might not want a competing service on a box they're subsidizing.
Ryan

Postby joendsu » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:03 am

seventree wrote:

Here's what I think is a problem with that. (This is mostly informed guesswork, so if someone with better info wants to correct me please do.)

Hulu content is not a simple video stream. When you click on a link the Adobe Flash player starts and negotiates witth the server for delivery of the program content. The primary content (tv episode for example) is a single continous FLV file, however it contains coded instructions to pause the main program and play "commercials" from separate streams at intervals determined by the content provider (NBC, etc). Adobe has built protections into these protocols to prevent end users from either skipping the commercials or downloading permanent copies of the content stream.

It would be technically feasible to write a Hulu client that would stand in for the Adobe player and redirect the final stream, as seen by a Hulu user, to the Roku device. But it would also be illegal without permission from Adobe and the Hulu content provider. So aside from the technical challenges, probably only Hulu could make Roku access legal -- if they even want to.

I see what you are saying - and I also don't know all the technical crafting that would need to take place for Roku to show Hulu and\or Network content. Those are still possibly only interface/technical obstacles, instead of licensing issues. I see your point though - if Roku could not somehow use the Adobe player available to everyone, they would need to get permission/licensing from Adobe/Hulu.
joendsu

Postby scyber » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:22 pm

joendsu wrote:
seventree wrote:

I see what you are saying - and I also don't know all the technical crafting that would need to take place for Roku to show Hulu and\or Network content. Those are still possibly only interface/technical obstacles, instead of licensing issues. I see your point though - if Roku could not somehow use the Adobe player available to everyone, they would need to get permission/licensing from Adobe/Hulu.

Well its a bit more than just using the standard flash player. The Roku hardware platform is much different. Both of the platforms you reference above (appleTV & a PC running playon) use a general purpose cpu for software decoding/transcoding. I am not sure the speed of the cpu in the roku box, but most likely it isn't as powerful as those 2 boxes. So roku might need alot of customization to run flash. Some other embedded media players (like the Popcorn hour) have basically said they will never be able to run flash due to the CPU requirements. If the hardware isn't able to run flash, then the only way hulu can be put directly on the box is by hulu themselves sending the video + ad streams by another method. So that is up to hulu.

As a point of reference, youtube didn't start appearing on many devices till they started producing non-flash streams. IIRC, most non-pc devices are using the non-flash streams.

I think the quick & generic hulu solution would be for roku to add upnp av client support. This would allow the roku to detect things like the playon software to stream hulu and other sources.
scyber

Postby eri3k » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:47 pm

scyber wrote:If the hardware isn't able to run flash...

Roku has indicated that the player is capable of running flash:
http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.ph ... 268#111268
eri3k

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion