Player can't connect to local network

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Player can't connect to local network

Postby TrisherMag » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:06 am

Okay, I just received the Roku player and have been struggling with this thing for HOURS! Here's what I've done:

Tried wireless connection - Had to manually enter network name, entered WPA password, player attempted to connect but ultimately player cannot find local network (tv on first floor, router on second floor - tv is approx 30' from a computer that is wirelessly connected to router)
Moved player to second floor and tried wired connection - Success!
Moved player back to first floor in an attempt to connect wirelessly again without success, same result cannot find local network.
Moved router and cable modem to first floor to try a wired connection and player still cannot find local network.

This is what I have:

Roku Player, Linksys WRT110 router, intel based iMac, cable internet, wooden tv stand...

I have tried turning router's firewall off and this still does not work.

The router configuration/setup makes me queasy - don't want to accidently turn something on/off in error, making my computer and its connection sitting ducks..

Any help would be appreciated.
TrisherMag

try this

Postby microlady » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:06 am

read this thread and see if anything there helps.......

can't connect to local network...?

Sorry..I thought I captured the link itself. That is the topic subject line.
Look in this Forum section on Page 2 for the above topic title.
Good suggestions plus a Tech Support phone number for help.
microlady

Postby TrisherMag » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:13 pm

Thanks.

The problem seemed to work itself out. After returning the router to my original settings, and leaving the player alone for a bit, it seemed to find a connection on its own. Still cannot get the thing to connect wirelessly, but it is working for now.

By the way, the 800 number was my first cry for help but unfortunately found the phone support sucks. Not very helpful, and they very obviously are reading from a script.

My second cry for help was this forum, and while there is a plethora of information, it is not well organized, and I found myself reading through pages and pages of support not suited to my situation. Perhaps separated sections might help people find information faster. Or a FAQ section specifically devoted for initial player setup. Just a thought.
TrisherMag

Postby jeffrok » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:37 pm

So sad when a company makes such a good product but feels the desire to cut corners in its phone-based support.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

a couple of thoughts

Postby microlady » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:11 pm

I have a linksys router and a cable modem. My Roku is connected wirelessly but then my router and Roku are in the same room..if that makes a difference.

I had noted in that topic I referred you to that one time my Local network could not be found when an update installed itself. Since it said it could not find the Local network....I went into my Linksys web utility and enabled Broadcast on the wireless.....almost instantly the Roku found my wireless Local network...then I went back into the utility on my computer and disabled the broadcasting for security reasons.

I don't know if the same would help you but I thought if it can't FIND the connection maybe if the connection Broadcast itself all over (I consider that as yelling)...maybe the Box would find it and it did.

Mostly if I have had disconnects since I got the box last June..it has been Internet connection not Local...but a month or so ago..I did have a Local not found drive me crazy until I guess I stumbled upon a solution for me.

Wish I could help more with the wireless. I have a PC wireless connection in a different room than the Roku and router. My cable modem along with the router is also wired to a PC in the same room as the Roku. I have no walls between anything.

Glad something is working though so you can enjoy the box.
microlady

Re: Player can't connect to local network

Postby ajish » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:17 am

TrisherMag wrote:Okay, I just received the Roku player and have been struggling with this thing for HOURS! Here's what I've done:

Tried wireless connection - Had to manually enter network name, entered WPA password, player attempted to connect but ultimately player cannot find local network (tv on first floor, router on second floor - tv is approx 30' from a computer that is wirelessly connected to router)
Moved player to second floor and tried wired connection - Success!
Moved player back to first floor in an attempt to connect wirelessly again without success, same result cannot find local network.
Moved router and cable modem to first floor to try a wired connection and player still cannot find local network.

This is what I have:

Roku Player, Linksys WRT110 router, intel based iMac, cable internet, wooden tv stand...

I have tried turning router's firewall off and this still does not work.

The router configuration/setup makes me queasy - don't want to accidently turn something on/off in error, making my computer and its connection sitting ducks..

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi there,

Cannot connect to local network is a common issue.

You could try these steps:

# Disable the firewall from the router

# Power cycle(unplug power cord from modem +router+roku and put it back in the same order) the entire unit..

These steps,usually works,,

If its Netgear wpn824v3,,

then try enabling QOS and disabling UPNP.

cheers,

AJI

Roku Tech Support
Last edited by ajish on Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
ajish

Postby Marcussen » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:23 am

I got my roku to connect on my belkin wireless by turning off the security settings, not ideal but I don't know what ports Roku uses. Maybe it would work to just open (DMZ) those ports.

I recently had the connect problem again, this time I got connection by manualy changing the DNS server in my router setup and NOT using the ISP provided DNS server. Maybe my ISP blocked the ROKU? I don't know but I got instant results with the DNS change.
Marcussen

Roku won't connect with local network since software updated

Postby parapet60 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:33 pm

I just received the Roku player today. I am using a Netgear WNR854T router, wireless setup. I set the Roku player up, it connected into my network with no problem at all. As soon as it connected it immediately downloaded a software update. Once the update was complete it then cycled back to start the setup again, but after the software update it can no longer connect to the local network.

It seems pretty clear that the software update caused the problem, since it connected into the local network easily in order to download that update. How do I fix this? What do I do to get it to connect again?

****Meant to add, I also tested it with a wired connection and that no longer works, either. I unplugged the Roku to get it to recycle, but it doesn't help the problem.
parapet60

Postby parapet60 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:56 pm

Following my earlier post: I disabled the router firewall and that got me through... but that's a really unsafe way to run a network. Why should that software update mean I now have to disable the firewall (and then put it back again when I'm done using the Roku) every time I want to use it? Is there any way around this?
parapet60

firewall

Postby microlady » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:15 pm

It seems some updates when first installed can have a local network problem.

You said disabling the firewall got you through. But then you said you would enable it when you are done using the Roku..........I don't know how yours works but.........

I only had to change my router to get the update to connect but once it connected correctly...I could go and put my router back to how I had it, and the Roku had no more problems.

In other words, I think once you enabled your firewall again, the Roku should find your local network on its own now.

I only had to do something one time....after the update installed...for the Roku and the new update to find my local network. Once the box found it the first time I did this, I didn't have to disable anything again.

Go ahead and enable your router and see if the box is still okay since it found the local network while installed.
microlady

Postby Heckmotor » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:29 pm

Interesting, I noticed having a very similar problem since 23 Dec 2010. Before, my Roku XD|S functioned flawlessly for about one month. I have been connecting wirelessly through a D-Link 655 router, the settings of which I have not changed since after the Roku's initial setup (added its MAC ID). All my other wireless devices continue to function properly (laptop, desktop, and Apple Airport Express for music streaming).
Since mid-December, the Roku's download speed deteriorated noticably and movies never had more than a 2-star quality AND were interrupted for reloading every 2 or 3 minutes. Then, since last week, my Roku fails to connect to my local network approx. 90% of the time (connects to the wireless network [green light] and then fails to connect to the local network and internet). Sometimes, it actually does connect to the internet, but then the reloading starts again.
Just to be sure, I have checked all my router settings (they were correct) and finally reloaded my last known good router configuration file, which I have created after installing the Roku initially. No improvement.
Today, I have done a Factory Reset on the XD|S. After entering my network password, etc., the player nearly instantly conneted to the local network and the internet, just like it used to. Then it prompts to be linked to Roku and displays the 4-digit Link Code. After entering the code into the roku.com/link page, the player restarts and again can't connect to my local network or is as sloooow as before.
I wonder if my ISP (Time Warner's Roadrunner, El Paso) is limiting the throughput of Roku-related packet transmissions to prevent streaming in order to keep the network load under control??
I would love to hear reports from other users.

Happy New Year to all!!
Heckmotor

Postby kumasuki » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:42 pm

Heckmotor wrote:I wonder if my ISP (Time Warner's Roadrunner, El Paso) is limiting the throughput of Roku-related packet transmissions to prevent streaming in order to keep the network load under control??

Have you tried changing the DNS settings to OpenDNS or GoogleDNS? Maybe the default DNS for TW is not updating properly.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby Heckmotor » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:56 pm

Yes, I have tested with Google DNS (Pri: 8.8.8.8 - Sec: 8.8.4.4), OpenDNS (Pri: 208.67.222.222 - Sec: 208.67.220.220), and Verizon DNS (Pri: 4.2.2.1 - Sec: 4.2.2.2).
No change in either case.
BTW, I am using 802.11N ONLY; Channel Width is set to 20/40Mhz (router always picks 40MHz); WPA2 personal - AES Cypher.
Heckmotor

Postby kumasuki » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:07 pm

Heckmotor wrote:BTW, I am using 802.11N ONLY; Channel Width is set to 20/40Mhz (router always picks 40MHz); WPA2 personal - AES Cypher.

Good you mention this - others have found workarounds by setting the channel width to 20Mhz only and/or the wifi mode to just 802.11B or just 802.11G (not mixed mode). If one of these works, you might find that you can 'undo' the workarounds and still be able to connect OK - or you might have to leave the workaround settings in place until a future firmware release.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby Heckmotor » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:45 pm

Thanks kumasuki!
Leaving my DIR-655 in 802.11N Only mode, but setting a fixed Channel Width of 20MHz, was the solution; nothing else needed changing.
Everything works fine now.
I wish Roku would publish optimized parameter sets for most common routers and keep it updated with each firmware change. It would save users a lot of grief and wasted time.
Heckmotor

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion