HDMI to VGA?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

HDMI to VGA?

Postby Rokme » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:06 pm

I'd like to connect the Roku via HDMI to VGA so I can use it with my old pc monitor. I know such cables exist, I'm just wondering if there's any reason this shouldn't work?

Thanks.
Rokme

Re: HDMI to VGA?

Postby kumasuki » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:45 pm

Rokme wrote:I'd like to connect the Roku via HDMI to VGA so I can use it with my old pc monitor. I know such cables exist, I'm just wondering if there's any reason this shouldn't work?

Thanks.

You also need to consider the audio signal - if you are not concerned about 720p output you could use an S-video/VGA converter like this
http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2
(probably the least expensive option)

If you do want HD resolution then a component/VGA adapter like
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... _-15158131
would be less expensive than an HDFury2.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby petem » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:05 pm

The short answer is NO, you can't use a cable to adapt from HDMI to VGA. Such an adapter would require significant digital to analog video conversion horsepower. A few recent AV receivers will convert HDMI input to Component output, although I'm not sure if they'd handle the YCbCr to RGB colorspace conversion necessary to drive most VGA monitors.

If your monitor happens to support YCbCr colorspace on the VGA inputs (such as Panasonic professional plasma monitors) then you can simply drive a $5 Component to HD15 adapter cable using the Roku component outputs. Unfortunately most PC monitors support RGB colorspace only, and a component to VGA converter with colorspace conversion costs $60 or more.
petem

Postby kumasuki » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:18 pm

petem wrote:The short answer is NO, you can't use a cable to adapt from HDMI to VGA.

Petem's more detailed explanation is why my suggestions are all converter devices. I can vouch that the HDFury2 does work fine (it's also the most expensive but I was using it for other reasons prior to getting my Roku).
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby pjoshua5000 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:39 pm

Also Don't forget the hdcp. (copy protection)
pjoshua5000

Re: HDMI to VGA?

Postby Giljorak » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:56 pm

kumasuki wrote:You also need to consider the audio signal - if you are not concerned about 720p output you could use an S-video/VGA converter like this
http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2
(probably the least expensive option)

This item works very well. When my wife came home in a neck brace after having neck surgery in January, I used one of these to connect the Roku, DVD, BluRay, & Satellite Receiver to an LCD monitor that I mounted to the ceiling. The only downside was that the main TV or the surround sound amp had to be for the audio.
There are 11 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary, those that don't, & those that think they do.

:shock: Proud member of America's most distrusted minority.:idea:
Giljorak

Postby scyber » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:15 am

Your cheapest option will be to use a component to VGA cable. Anything converting HDMI to vga will be more expensive b/c it would involve a digial to analog conversion.
scyber

Postby Rokme » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:03 pm

Great-thanks guys I really appreciate it. I'll go the S-video route.
Rokme

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion