How do I hook up a wired router?

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

How do I hook up a wired router?

Postby joanna700 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:55 pm

I want to use the Roku box to play Netflix & Amazon movies. I have ordered the Roku box, but don't yet have any router. I have a two-year old Toshiba laptop connected to Cox Cable modem. An ethernet cable connects them and there is only one ethernet input on the Cox modem. I want to connect to the Roku box, preferably using a wired router, but will listen to other arguments. (I wear a pacemaker and have some fear of interference from wireless gadgets.)

(1) How do I connect the laptop/modem to a wired router, and then to the Roku box?
(2) What is a good wired router to buy? Will a cheap one work? I didn't see any on the list.

Thanks for any help for a router dummy.

Janie
joanna700

Re: How do I hook up a wired router?

Postby kumasuki » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:33 pm

joanna700 wrote:
(1) How do I connect the laptop/modem to a wired router, and then to the Roku box?

This link to a video demonstration (previously suggested by DoomsDay)
http://www.purenetworks.com/advice/
is one place to start. It uses a Linksys router to walk you thru the procedure, but it illustrates the same basic steps for any make/model (more advanced tweaking will vary across router models).
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion