Good news for Roku owners who use the Dish Network

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Good news for Roku owners who use the Dish Network

Postby Miller5 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:43 am

Love my Roku box such a deal ! The news I have about Dish is I called yesterday about down grading my Dish package cuz I use my Roku box more and more these days .I was paying about 50 a month ,I cut right to the chase thinking they wouldnt do it ,I asked them "can I get my locals only" ?Without hesitation they said yes .cool So my bill went from 50 a month to 15 a month,9.99 for locals and 5.00 for dvr rental ..Later all.....
Miller5

Re: Good news for Roku owners who use the Dish Network

Postby Valerie251 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:21 am

Miller5 wrote:Love my Roku box such a deal ! The news I have about Dish is I called yesterday about down grading my Dish package cuz I use my Roku box more and more these days .I was paying about 50 a month ,I cut right to the chase thinking they wouldnt do it ,I asked them "can I get my locals only" ?Without hesitation they said yes .cool So my bill went from 50 a month to 15 a month,9.99 for locals and 5.00 for dvr rental ..Later all.....

I did that 1 week after I got roku last year....(got it the first week it was released)

Saved me tons of money. My older brother who does NOT have dishnetwork called and asked if he could only get locals, he was refused. So it may be something only for long time customers.
Valerie251

Postby eri3k » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:12 pm

One thing to try is to tell them that you are considering canceling your service. Once you are talking to a rep who would handle the cancellation, tell them what you are looking for. If someone calls up and asks for a non-standard plan, they probably just say no. If someone may cancel service altogether, then the rep probably has more flexibility to negotiate "customer retention" offers.

I am not a Dish Network customer, but I know this is how things work at a lot of companies.
Ever dream of controlling your Roku player through a series of tubes? Now you can!
eri3k

Postby Valerie251 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:47 pm

eri3k wrote:One thing to try is to tell them that you are considering canceling your service. Once you are talking to a rep who would handle the cancellation, tell them what you are looking for. If someone calls up and asks for a non-standard plan, they probably just say no. If someone may cancel service altogether, then the rep probably has more flexibility to negotiate "customer retention" offers.

I am not a Dish Network customer, but I know this is how things work at a lot of companies.

:D Thats what I told the csrep.... I told her I have been a customer for over 10yrs and at this time I couldn't afford the package I was paying...If I could cut it down the just basic locals or I'd have to cancel my whole service. It worked. Roku box came out about a year ago....so I've saved nearly $700 in dishnetwork fees!! And we always have a movie to watch
Valerie251

Postby kc8pql » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:19 pm

I guess I don't understand. If all you want are your local channels, why not get an antenna and watch them for free. I receive about 15 digital stations, more than half of them HD, from 19 to 40 miles from the broadcast towers, on a 18" square amplified outdoor antenna.
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Valerie251 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:26 pm

kc8pql wrote:I guess I don't understand. If all you want are your local channels, why not get an antenna and watch them for free. I receive about 15 digital stations, more than half of them HD, from 19 to 40 miles from the broadcast towers, on a 18" square amplified outdoor antenna.

Some people (like me) can not get any locals with an antenna. Too many mountains, and too far from the towers,.....out in the middle of nowhere...LOL
Valerie251

Postby elorimer » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:46 pm

Valerie251 wrote:Some people (like me) can not get any locals with an antenna. Too many mountains, and too far from the towers,.....out in the middle of nowhere...LOL

Fairfield County. On a clear day I can see the Empire State Building. With an attic antenna I get one digital station in Bridgeport, so I'm thinking this whole OTA changeover is a scam perpetrated by Cablevision.
elorimer

DISH NETWORK

Postby eileenburns » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:25 pm

What I guess I don't understand is how someone can get by with just their locals and Netflix movies that are ones which people don't ordinarily order via mail. I haven't seen one yet I would have chosen on my mail list but I have about 65 on my instant list and so far have stopped half of what I have chosen to see because they weren't very good. My next question is how one can do without all the news channels such as CNN, FOX, CNBC,MSNBC, PBS, Lifetime, and many moire. I can't imagine myself spending so much time watching movies. Yes, I have the Roku for those times when there is nothing good on the locals OR I have already watched as much news as I want. I've been with dish for over 12 years and while it is expensive I do like the music channels which I play thru my surround sound and turn off the tv itself. I have no premium channels but do have HD and love Animal Planet and sports. Can't get those with the box. To further explain my questioning, I watch tv for about one hour in the morning for news and then for an hour in the afternoon and finally for about 2 hours at night. anyway, just wondering where you all find time to watch a lot of movies.

Eileen
eileenburns

Postby SoylentGreen » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:51 am

I dropped Dish over two years ago, @$72.00 a month. I use a Media Center PC to record HDTV OTA TV w/DMA2200 and Xbox 360 extenders, use Netflix and Roku for the rest. All it cost me is my Netflix. I only miss a couple of the channels.(Speed, Sci-Fi Channel)
SoylentGreen

Postby SolarPVgal » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:19 am

kc8pql wrote:I guess I don't understand. If all you want are your local channels, why not get an antenna and watch them for free. I receive about 15 digital stations, more than half of them HD, from 19 to 40 miles from the broadcast towers, on a 18" square amplified outdoor antenna.

We dropped DirecTV years ago and increased the number of Netflix DVD's supplemented by over the air reception. We got Roku as soon as it was released and ultimately decreased our number of Netflix DVD's.

Netflix and Roku offer so much more programming than just movies.

Try Antennaweb, for your over the air reception planning.
http://antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx
SolarPVgal

Dropping Sat packages

Postby eileenburns » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:27 am

I am not permitted to put an antenna on my roof accoding to HOA rules. I don't have an X-box and have no idea about the other items mentioned. Guess I'm dated, LOL. My Dish bill is $77 and I can live without most of what they offer but they chokie you with their packages. I'm going to go thru the list and cross off what I never watch, decide if I can live without the many many music stations and go from there. A la carte would be nice but they refuse to offer that.

Thanks,
Eileen
eileenburns

worked for me

Postby davedave » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:28 am

I just got off the phone with Dish.

I have a VIP 622.

I used to have absoluteHD with locals and DHPP for around $48/month.

I reduced to just locals for $9.99 plus a DVR fee of $5.98. Didn't take much convincing on my part to get the deal. Just had to say 'no' to a couple other offers first.

Now I have an extra $32/month to spend for Amazon VOD -- or to help offset the TWC overage fees that I'm sure to hit nationwide anytime now.

If anyone was curious, you still get the locals in HD (assuming you did before) and can still record the OTA signals. You also still get the VOD stations, CSPAN, and a few other misc freebe stations. There is a one time fee of $5 whenever you reduce your service level. And if you cancel a grandfathered plan (like absoluteHD), you can never get it back.

I briefly considered getting an HD Tivo instead, but the $300 upfront cost was a killer.
davedave

Re: worked for me

Postby eri3k » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:10 pm

davedave wrote:I briefly considered getting an HD Tivo instead, but the $300 upfront cost was a killer.

I would almost say you are lucky never to have experienced TiVo. Once you have it, it is nearly impossible to go back to any other DVR. I tried AT&T U-verse and was so disappointed by the their DVR software and hardware (not to mention their service) that I shelled out $300 for a refurbished Series3 and am paying more to my cable company for fewer channels. But at least I have my TiVo.
Ever dream of controlling your Roku player through a series of tubes? Now you can!
eri3k

Re: I am not permitted to put an antenna on my roof

Postby SolarPVgal » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:43 pm

eileenburns wrote:I am not permitted to put an antenna on my roof accoding to HOA rules.

Thanks,
Eileen

@ Eileen

You may be interested in what the FCC says about restricting antenna placement...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
SolarPVgal

Re: DISH NETWORK

Postby snarler » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:13 pm

eileenburns wrote:What I guess I don't understand is how someone can get by with just their locals and Netflix movies that are ones which people don't ordinarily order via mail. I haven't seen one yet I would have chosen on my mail list but I have about 65 on my instant list and so far have stopped half of what I have chosen to see because they weren't very good. My next question is how one can do without all the news channels such as CNN, FOX, CNBC,MSNBC, PBS, Lifetime, and many moire. I can't imagine myself spending so much time watching movies. Yes, I have the Roku for those times when there is nothing good on the locals OR I have already watched as much news as I want. I've been with dish for over 12 years and while it is expensive I do like the music channels which I play thru my surround sound and turn off the tv itself. I have no premium channels but do have HD and love Animal Planet and sports. Can't get those with the box. To further explain my questioning, I watch tv for about one hour in the morning for news and then for an hour in the afternoon and finally for about 2 hours at night. anyway, just wondering where you all find time to watch a lot of movies.

Eileen

Excellent question. Personally, I scaled back my cable service to their lowest level package, which basically amounts to locals and some miscellaneous stuff I don't watch like shopping channels. I save about 35-40 bucks a month. I typically have some time at night between when I put my son in bed and when I go to bed myself so I fill it with a movie if I'm not doing anything else. The freedom to pick a set of movies I want to watch, both in a DVD queue and in a grab-bag instant queue is a much better value to me than setting up a PVR to record whatever shows happen to be broadcast. Plus I get locals in HD via QAM.

As far as all the news channels and such, I get all the news I want via the Internet. One can choose to browse particular sites like CNN.com for regular news, ESPN.com for sports news, etc. One can also use RSS feeds to collect information from all sorts of various sources into one place on your computer and browse at your leisure.

To be honest, *I* find it hard to believe when people tell me they can't live without a particular station (not just you...I have a couple friends who when I told them how much money I save not ordering all those extra channels, inform me they can't possibly downgrade because their spouses "need" channel X or Y or Z.) It's only television. It's entertainment. And there are always other methods, usually cheaper, and legal, for getting the information or entertainment you desire.

I would imagine there have been times I'm a hypocrite and got all bent out of shape over some channel they moved to a tier I don't have or a show that got canceled that I was just getting into...I'm not perfect :) But in the end, there are alternatives, both in how we spend our time and our money.
snarler

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion