Roku and Direct TV

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku and Direct TV

Postby joanna700 » Mon May 04, 2009 11:44 am

Can anyone tell me if Roku works with Direct TV services? I'm thinking of switching from Cox (though Cox works fine with Roku) to Direct TV in order to save some money with their tv service.

Also, what about Charter TV service, or Dish?

Thanks for any help.

Janie
joanna700

Postby snarler » Mon May 04, 2009 11:48 am

Not exactly sure what you mean by "work with." The Roku box doesn't use any service like a tv channel or pay-per-view of a television provider like cable or satellite tv. It uses your high speed internet connection (which are sometimes offered by those tv providers which may or may not be what you meant) so as long as you have one of sufficient speed, it will work.
snarler

Re: Roku and Direct TV

Postby glen4cindy » Mon May 04, 2009 9:24 pm

joanna700 wrote:Can anyone tell me if Roku works with Direct TV services? I'm thinking of switching from Cox (though Cox works fine with Roku) to Direct TV in order to save some money with their tv service.

Also, what about Charter TV service, or Dish?

Thanks for any help.

Janie

The Roku will work in concert with any other video source be it a VCR, DVD player, cable or stallite provider or any other source. I have DirecTv, a Wii and a DVD Recorder/VCR hooked up to my surround system right now. I have a network cable that I pulled to my Roku so I didn't have to put up with wireless.

I sometimes take it downstairs where I have DirecTv, a VCR, a DVD recorder, a laserdisc player, a Playstation, a Dreamcast and a FTA satellite TV receiver.

As long as you have a way to watch the video, it will work with any video source. You will not be able to watch DirecTv content on the Roku, that requires their receiver. DirecTv even has lots of "On Demand" content if you get a HD receiver and plug it into your network.
glen4cindy

Direct TV and Roku

Postby joanna700 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:31 am

Thanks for your replies. I of course meant that I use my Cox cable service computer modem for the Roku.

However, I had "heard" that Cox seems to work great with the Roku, but that others using services like Charter, Direct TV, etc., have problems as they seem to be lessening their service after it works fine for a little while connected to Roku, but then picture quality begins to suffer, and you then discover that the speeds you are supposed to be getting through them are no longer getting enough mbps for Roku, the implication being that some cable services are doing this on purpose to keep their movies-on-demand services preferable (??)

But since I found out Cox is going to revise my channel lineup so I can lower their cost considerably, I will probably not change it anyway. Thanks again.

P.S. -- No, I do not work for Cox. I also don't mean to spread false rumors, so if I misunderstood anything I have "heard," my apologies.
Last edited by joanna700 on Tue May 05, 2009 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
joanna700

Postby iforbes » Tue May 05, 2009 6:36 am

glen4cindy wrote:...The Roku will work in concert with any other video source be it a VCR, DVD player, cable or stallite provider or any other source....

What's a VCR?

:wink:
iforbes

Postby donstafford » Sat May 09, 2009 9:04 am

Don't try to use it with DirectTV's internet service.

We live in the country, and I had it for 2 years prior to DSL becoming available.

Download speeds average 500k, and upload averages 14k. Yes, 14k. That is not a misprint.

You'll never get HD off a DirectTV internet connection.

Stick with your current cable provider for internet
8.0 mb AT&T DSL

DirectTV HD

VIZIO 42" HD TV
RCA Home Theatre w/DIgital Optical Audio 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound

VIZIO 32" HD TV

OLEVIA 27" HD TV

SAMSUNG 19" HD TV

SAMSUNG BD-1600 BluRay with NetFlix
ROKU
donstafford

Postby RWatson » Sun May 10, 2009 7:22 am

To amplify the last post. You must have meant the DirecTV satellite internet service. Don't expect it to work with ROKU, don't use it for anything if possible. I'm not sure what system DirecTV uses for internet service, but it is probably one of the large (unmentioned) services which I had for some time. They severely limit download volumes and won't come close to letting you download a movie.
I have DirecTV for television and it is great.
I also have ATT U-verse for internet, just started, and it is also great. I don't have their TV service because of DirecTV, but otherwise I would have gotten it also.
I enjoy the ROKU very much. I no longer subscribe to premium channels (except the HD only ones that DirecTV offers, such as MGMHD).
RWatson

Postby KellieC » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:17 am

Hey everyone-getting my set up today-new wireless router & roku-
Can someone tell me if I am correct in thinking-I will need to unhook
my diectv HD cable and hook that up to my roku-but I will lose Directv to watch netflix
and will need to change the cords back to bring directv back-
KellieC

Postby mommom » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:30 am

First,it would be way better to start a new thread instead of using this 3 year old one,many people will not look at this one.

Your Roku uses internet from your modem,not a tv signal from your satellite.You should connect the satellite cable to your cable input on your tv,and the Roku to another connector on your tv,such as HDMI.Then change the input on your tv with the remote when you want to switch from satellite to Roku.If you do not have any of these things or are unsure of how to do it,someone here will help. :D
mommom

Postby KellieC » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:26 am

Thank you both for answering my question-I know I can count on someone here to help me-its a great forum :D
KellieC

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion