Subtitles

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Subtitles

Postby rmdil22 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:06 am

How do I turn on subtitles?
rmdil22

Postby billc124 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:44 am

I don't think you do. If they are part of the encode they will show up, if not they won't.
billc124

Postby Satnamji » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:41 am

I guess it's safe to say Netflix's streaming service isn't ADA compliant.
It would also be a nice feature for the otherwise hearing-abled who have trouble understanding some bits of dialogue on the poor audio tracks of some of these movies.
Satnamji

No Subtitles Available on Netflix Instant Play

Postby rmdil22 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:44 pm

I finally got an answer from Netflix and the system does not support subtitles. The technology is a long way off to do that. I advised Netflix they should disclose "no subtitles".
rmdil22

Postby EPGPX » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:52 pm

Subtitles can be annoying sometimes if you already speak the language and they show up anyway.

Another problem I experienced is sometimes the picture will be too bright (Grande Ècole) and I can't see the subtitles because there in white, in that case they should be yellow so I can read them better.
EPGPX

Postby QuantumIguana » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:34 pm

I would like it if the Roku allowed the TV to handle displaying the closed captioning (when Netflix supplies it, of course). For OTA broadcasts, the TV handles the closed captioning, and that works great, I can select the font and font color that I want. For cable, the cable dox handles it, and gives me only the clunky closed captioning that it has preset.
QuantumIguana

Postby kc8pql » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:51 pm

Note that subtitles and closed captioning aren't the same thing. Subtitles are text in a language other than the one on the audio track of the film. Netflix does subtitles in English for foreign language films. Closed captioning is a service for the hearing impaired that can be turned on by the viewer if needed. Netflix, or any other streaming service I know of, can't do that.
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby billc124 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:56 pm

kc8pql wrote:Note that subtitles and closed captioning aren't the same thing. Subtitles are text in a language other than the one on the audio track of the film. Netflix does subtitles in English for foreign language films. Closed captioning is a service for the hearing impaired that can be turned on by the viewer if needed. Netflix, or any other streaming service I know of, can't do that.

That's right, the technology for streaming can't do closed captioning, and you would have to have hardware to support it to. The Roku would have to pass the CC to the TV for display. CC is always on the signal you get from the OTA, Cable, Satellite and you select to display it or not on the TV as far as I know. It is probably pretty far away from being able to do CC for streaming video. Do DVDs have Closed Captioning? Anyone know?
billc124

Postby jinj » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:27 pm

Netflix could create a flag where you can make closed captioning always displayed for your account. Then they could put the captioning in the video stream.
jinj

Postby kc8pql » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:00 pm

jinj wrote:Netflix could create a flag where you can make closed captioning always displayed for your account. Then they could put the captioning in the video stream.

Netflix doesn't subtitle anything themselves. They simply encode the material made available to them by the various content providers that they contract with. If the source is already subtitled, the encode is subtitled. If it's not, Netflix can't add it. And again, closed captioning isn't available for streaming.

Here's a link to the Netflix Blog that explains how the encoding works and what source material they are allowed to use.
http://blog.netflix.com/2008/11/encoding-for-streaming.html
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby QuantumIguana » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:01 am

DVD does indeed do closed captioning. There is no real difficulty in providing closed captioning or subtitles in streaming, data is just data. Closed captioning and subtitles have different purposes, but they are essentially the same thing, text data sent to the screen.

Closed captioning or subtitles don't have to be always on. When I play a DVD, I can tell the DVD player to send closed captioning to the screen, or I can tell it to send subtitles.

I hear just fine, but I sometimes turn closed captioning on, because with a 2 year old running around, it sometimes is hard to hear the TV.
QuantumIguana

Postby jinj » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:47 pm

kc8pql wrote:
jinj wrote:Netflix could create a flag where you can make closed captioning always displayed for your account. Then they could put the captioning in the video stream.

Netflix doesn't subtitle anything themselves. They simply encode the material made available to them by the various content providers that they contract with. If the source is already subtitled, the encode is subtitled. If it's not, Netflix can't add it. And again, closed captioning isn't available for streaming.

Here's a link to the Netflix Blog that explains how the encoding works and what source material they are allowed to use.
http://blog.netflix.com/2008/11/encoding-for-streaming.html

Yes, this is what they do now. But they can change this and they can request different data.
jinj

Subtitles-- in the works

Postby jrishel » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:38 pm

this just showed up on the Netflix blog and explains they are working on it and why it's so difficult:

http://blog.netflix.com/2009/06/closed- ... itles.html
jrishel

Re: Subtitles-- in the works

Postby eri3k » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:35 pm

If Roku's statements are accurate that the player is capable of handling closed captions as soon as Netflix offers them (which seems likely given that the player's hardware was designed as an IPTV STB), the DVP could be the first CE device to get closed captioning.

Neil Hunt, Netflix Chief Product Officer, wrote:I would expect to deliver subtitles or captions to Silverlight clients sometime in 2010, and roll the same technology out to each CE device as we are able to migrate the technology... (emphasis added)
Ever dream of controlling your Roku player through a series of tubes? Now you can!
eri3k

Postby DerFish » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:03 am

AppleTV currently has a few titles with CC.
DerFish

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion