How can I turn on and turn off Roku Box?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

How can I turn on and turn off Roku Box?

Postby krittaya » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:02 pm

I just got Roku Box and set up work with wireless and HDMI. The picture and sound quality work are very smoothly and clears " I love Roku. " If anyone plans to buy it I want to tell you guys you have to buy Roku Box. It is better than PC watch instantly. However, How can I turn on and turn off Roku Box? :lol:
krittaya

Postby kc8pql » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:09 pm

The box is always on. There is no switch. It consumes very little power on standby. The only way to turn it off is to unplug it.
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby krittaya » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:15 pm

Thank you kc8pql.
krittaya

Postby Satnamji » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:08 pm

I'm considering plugging my Roku into the switched outlet on my AVR, which I turn on and off as I use it...usually just once per day. Besides the extra time it will take to retrieve my queue each time I fire up the Roku and the possible need to manually check for FW updates, can anyone think of any reason this isn't a good idea.

One of the reasons I ask is that I once had a JBL subwoofer plugged into a switched outlet like this, and after about 9 months the subwoofer's autopower function went haywire, rapidly clicking on and off whenever I was listening to something that didn't have a steady LFE track. Thanks!
Satnamji

Postby jeffrok » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:49 pm

The box downloads updates while you're not using it.. If it's not on, you're not going to be on the current firmware when it comes time to use the box.

It's a low-power device- better to leave it up at all times.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok

Postby zwei » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:27 pm

4-5 watts ...there's a reason they didn't put a power button on it :)
Roku 2 XS: Serial # 13A167000334
zwei

Postby Satnamji » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:23 pm

Thanks for the responses. I'm not so much concerned about the energy draw, but more the convenience of using this unused outlet on my AVR and the possible benefit a reboot everytime I use it will have on clearing out memory caches and buffers. I realize I would need to manually look for FW updates periodically.
Satnamji

Postby elorimer » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:48 pm

Satnamji wrote:I'm considering plugging my Roku into the switched outlet on my AVR, which I turn on and off as I use it.

This is what I have done for at least 6 months now. I've gotten a few firmware updates without manually checking.
elorimer

Postby RWatson » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:35 pm

I'd leave it on and forget about it. If you were using the LAN connection you would see the data light on the back is constantly showing activity. I have two, never worry about turning them on or off.
RWatson

Postby mkiker2089 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:06 pm

The thing takes too long to boot up. I've unplugged mine a few times but the initial boot up is too long much less reloading your netflix que.

I didn't know the lan was always on. My router stop blinking about the same time it goes to sleep. I guess it wakes up occasionally when I'm not looking.
mkiker2089

Postby smankins » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:18 pm

Is the light on the front supposed to always be on? I have seen mine go off and stay off until I used the box again.
smankins

Postby kc8pql » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:19 pm

smankins wrote:Is the light on the front supposed to always be on? I have seen mine go off and stay off until I used the box again.

No. The light goes off when the screen saver activates.
kc8pql

Postby Sgooter » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:57 pm

Mine is connected to a simple power strip, which I manually switch on when I want to stream Netflix. As for keeping the Roku powered up so that it automatically updates to the latest firmware, I'm not so sure that's a good idea, based on numerous problems posted on this forum. My setup is wireless over a rather long distance, and the Roku always links up with my secure home network quickly and with a steady 4-dot Netflix connection.
Life is good in a 4-dot world.
Sgooter

Re: How can I turn on and turn off Roku Box?

Postby -LD » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:22 pm

krittaya wrote:How can I turn on and turn off Roku Box?

You could take it out for a nice dinner then afterward belch and fart all night.
-LD

Postby jeffrok » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:18 am

Sgooter wrote:Mine is connected to a simple power strip, which I manually switch on when I want to stream Netflix. As for keeping the Roku powered up so that it automatically updates to the latest firmware, I'm not so sure that's a good idea, based on numerous problems posted on this forum. My setup is wireless over a rather long distance, and the Roku always links up with my secure home network quickly and with a steady 4-dot Netflix connection.

You're not one of those guys who thinks every update is for the worse, are you? Yes, sometimes a Roku update makes life a pain for a small percentage, but it's only temporary til the bug is fixed, and it's also something that isn't going to be avoided if you have your Roku on for any amount of time, anyway. This isn't Windows Vista or anything- the updates are pretty well tested before they go out the door- at least according to most around here.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion