Two Roku's, one house, one netflix account?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Two Roku's, one house, one netflix account?

Postby bigkev2663 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:26 pm

I have a netflix account and one Roku now, wirelessly in my house. My daughter loves this so much she wants one in her room. Can I get another Roku box in the house on one netflix account?
bigkev2663

Postby philsoft » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:38 pm

I believe the number of boxes you can apply is proportional to the number of discs out at a time on your Netflix account. 3 out means three boxes, two out means two boxes one out means one box.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby chamaeleon » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:18 am

The number of devices seem to be 6 at the moment. The number of disks out is supposedly controlling how many simultaneous streams you should be able to view.

The following is from "Your Netflix ready devices and computers" link on the Netflix account page.

You may watch instantly on up to 6 unique devices:
Including personal computers and Netflix ready devices. You may also use this page to manually de-register devices you no longer wish to use for watching instantly. A deactivated device can be reactivated later if you wish to resume using it.
Last edited by chamaeleon on Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chamaeleon

Postby billc124 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:39 am

I am sure this isn't officially supported, but I have the one disc at a time plan and have used Two Roku boxes at the same time without any issue. I didn't do it for long though, it was just to help a friend test his out.
billc124

Postby DerFish » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:48 pm

billc124 wrote:I am sure this isn't officially supported, but I have the one disc at a time plan and have used Two Roku boxes at the same time without any issue. I didn't do it for long though, it was just to help a friend test his out.

Were you able to get 2 separate streams simultaneously? Thanks.
DerFish

Postby billc124 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:35 pm

DerFish wrote:
billc124 wrote:I am sure this isn't officially supported, but I have the one disc at a time plan and have used Two Roku boxes at the same time without any issue. I didn't do it for long though, it was just to help a friend test his out.

Were you able to get 2 separate streams simultaneously? Thanks.

Yes.
billc124

Postby bigkev2663 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:22 pm

Seems to me like you can...I have three out at a time so I am going to order another box and see how it goes...Thanks everyone for your input!!!!! All you fathers have a nice day tomorrow!!!!
bigkev2663

Postby snarler » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:07 pm

From the T&C page....

"The number of personal computers or devices that can be used for simultaneous viewing varies according to your plan size: 1-disc plans may watch on one device at a time, 2-disc plans on up to two devices at the same time, 3-disc plans on up to three devices, and plans with four or more discs on up to four devices simultaneously."

For billc124, with one disc plan and ran two at the same time to test a friends out, did you sign his box up to your account or was it signed up for his account just on your network at the time?
snarler

Postby billc124 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:15 pm

snarler wrote:From the T&C page....

"The number of personal computers or devices that can be used for simultaneous viewing varies according to your plan size: 1-disc plans may watch on one device at a time, 2-disc plans on up to two devices at the same time, 3-disc plans on up to three devices, and plans with four or more discs on up to four devices simultaneously."

For billc124, with one disc plan and ran two at the same time to test a friends out, did you sign his box up to your account or was it signed up for his account just on your network at the time?

I signed him up on my account, so both boxes were linked to my account at the same time and played two separate things from my queue at once. My box was at my house and his was at his house.
billc124

Postby snarler » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:04 pm

Hmmm...me thinks you snuck around their checking system for a brief moment :D Then again, could be any number of ways to do that depending on how often they check, when they check, what they check, etc. For example, if they only check when initiating a stream, and the check a flag operation paired with the set a flag if not already used operation isn't atomic, one could start both boxes at the same time on a stream and both would go through.

But that's for another day...
snarler

Postby billc124 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:07 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't do it on a regular basis, I was just pointing out that it was possible, not sure what they would/could do if they catch you.
billc124

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion