How many Roku boxes can I associate with my account.

Discussion not related to any specific Roku product.

Moderator: RokuJamesL

How many Roku boxes can I associate with my account.

Postby Netguru » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:51 pm

I have had my Roku box for about 2 months. It has worked flawlessly! I love it! My question is how many Roku's can I associate with my NetFlix account. I have 5 TV's (including one in my bathroom) and I would like to have a Roku on every TV. It's only me and my wife with NO kids (DINKS).... We never watch more then one of them at a time but I don;t want to buy anymore if I need to have another Netflix account. I just bought a 52 inch TV that I want to put a Roku box on but I don;t want to remove it from my bedroom.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. BTW. Customer service is the best I have every had the pleasure of dealing with. Keep up the great work Netflix/Roku!

Scott
Netguru

Postby DoomsDay » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:39 pm

From netflix website

Members on Netflix unlimited plans may have up to 6 unique devices or computers activated on an account at any one time.

As it says, you can have up to 6 total, including pc's. The number of them that can be watched at the same time is dependent on how many discs your plan is getting.
DoomsDay

Postby Netguru » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:00 pm

So if I have one DVD at a time and I have my PC and a Roku box that are both authorized to watch movies, than I could only stream one movie at a time on one of the two devices, correct? That would also imply if I upped my DVD plan from one to the next tier, I would then be able to stream two different movies on both the PC and the Roku box, correct?

Sorry for the babbling. Just trying to figure out how many Roku boxes I should by.

Scott
I build custom Solar panels. Ask me how I can show you how to build your own and save money on your electricity bill! :)
Netguru

Postby DoomsDay » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:34 pm

That is correct. If your watching your roku and try to watch something on the pc, it wont let you, and vice versa with only 1 at a time.

2 dvd's get you 2 watch instantly at a time and the more you up, the more you can watch at the same time (I have the 2 dvd plan and can watch one on the pc and one on the roku, or one on my xbox and one on the roku or etc.. at the same time). Keep in mind you also have to take your bandwidth into consideration, you dont want to get more than your bandwidth will allow.

You can have up to 6 devices registered even on 1 at a time dvd plan, you just will only be able to watch on one of them at a time unless you up the plan.

Another thing about pc's. they drop off the device list after 30 days (unless they have changed this since late last year) of non use (your other devices go in 1 year increments, unless they have changed that to). so if you plan on buying many devices, and do plan on watching instant watch on your pc, that you shouldn't go above 5 so you can save one for your pc.
DoomsDay

Re: How many Roku boxes can I associate with my account.

Postby webtalker123 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:22 am

So - my question is - what if each person in a house-hold - say family, roommates etc... has multiple netflix accounts, or even other VOD accounts - how would it work if multiple people want to be watching multiple things at the same time on different tvs?
Would I be able to watch things streaming on my tv which is connected thru wifi on a Roku box, while someone else in another room on another tv is watching something on their netflix or other VOD account thru wifi on the same box? Or is it like Sat TV where you have to have a different box for different tvs and different VOD/Netflix accounts?

Also to the previous poster - if you get too many Roku boxes, won't your router run out of ethernet inserts to plug in all of the receivers? doesn't the Roku come in two parts, the box for the tv and the other box for the router?
webtalker123

Re: How many Roku boxes can I associate with my account.

Postby devil.punchbowl » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:22 pm

The netflix guidelines is per account. Multiple accounts will of course have separate devices linked to separate accounts. So you should be fine.
devil.punchbowl

Location: way way northern California coast - hidden behind the redwood curtain

Re:

Postby FX4 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:24 pm

DoomsDay wrote:From netflix website

Members on Netflix unlimited plans may have up to 6 unique devices or computers activated on an account at any one time.

As it says, you can have up to 6 total, including pc's. The number of them that can be watched at the same time is dependent on how many discs your plan is getting.

Interesting we have an unlimited plan and I think we have the account active on 8 devices right now. Of course we only use two at any given point in time.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Return to Roku General