Netflix not working after update

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Netflix not working after update

Postby cadenceanne » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:16 pm

Has anyone else experienced trouble accessing their Netflix movies since the update? Everything was working fine yesterday afternoon, but when I turned my Roku player back on last night, I couldn't get anything to load. I get the "Title temporarily unavailable. Please try again later." message. I've tried playing several different titles, have reset everything, been on the phone with Netflix AND Roku and haven't figured anything out yet. Amazon plays just fine, but Netflix claims it's not them. Anyone else???
cadenceanne

Postby MoonChaser » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:10 pm

Nope... Mine works just fine. Another poster had a similar problem and discovered it was a billing issue. Did Netflix check to make sure your account was current?
MoonChaser

Postby cartman2 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:22 pm

The only thing I noticed going on with my Roku is after watching Baseball games for awhile and I go back to the Netflix channel it does have to retrive my instant queue again. After 1 0r 2 mins it has the queue once again and it works just fine. That's the only thing with my box.
cartman2

Postby SUMMERSPA » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:26 am

I've experienced exactly the same thing with my Roku unit. Everything had worked fine. Suddenly, after the update, while my unit will connect to my network, it will no longer connect to the internet and load my NetFlix queue. I've tried resetting the unit, but it doesn't help the problem. It just won't connect to NetFlix and/or the internet anymore. :cry: What to do???
SUMMERSPA

Postby opiate » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:07 am

Terrible performance from Netflix this weekend!!

Extremely long load times...continuous re-buffers.

Anybody else?
opiate

Postby kc8pql » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:15 am

Nope. Watch an SD Netflix movie last night, from 9:30 to 11:00 EST, and everything worked normally. An episode of Rough Science I watched early yesterday afternoon was OK too.
Last edited by kc8pql on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby kc8pql » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:19 am

SUMMERSPA wrote: I've tried resetting the unit, but it doesn't help the problem. It just won't connect to NetFlix and/or the internet anymore. :cry: What to do???

Try resetting your modem/router.
kc8pql

Postby opiate » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:46 pm

Yup did all that....I am not un-familiar with the network aspect of this process. I have just not seen this bad of performance for quite some time.
Wonder if MY DNS is being overloaded..
opiate

NetFlix not working after update

Postby SUMMERSPA » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:45 pm

kc8pql wrote:
SUMMERSPA wrote: I've tried resetting the unit, but it doesn't help the problem. It just won't connect to NetFlix and/or the internet anymore. :cry: What to do???

Try resetting your modem/router.

Okay, I reset the modem/router, but that did not solve the problem either. I thought there might be something quirky with my network so even set up a new network, but that did not solve the problem. Talked to NetFlix customer service and they suggested I talk to Roku and gave me a phone number for them. They are not open for calls on Sunday, so in the meantine, I talked to my IP customer service, but so long as my computers are working and connecting, that seems to be all they care about. Am still not able to connect to my NetFlix queue. Roku setup says it is not able to connect to the internet.
SUMMERSPA

Postby jweaver » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:53 pm

Our roku is dropping Amazon and not connecting to Netflix. What is going on?
jweaver

Sad, Sad, Sad

Postby clusterf » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:23 pm

This code push zapped both of my devices. You got to be kidding me, this company is a joke. If you are gonna push code and there is the potential to zap someones service you would think they would at least have the curtisy to send out some correspondace to the customers. Now I am reading I have to reset my router to get these boxes to work. I mean come on, Roku, get some domestic coders that no what they are doing.
clusterf

Postby billc124 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:14 pm

Resetting your router just means to turn it off and back on again. In actuality there are only a few people who are having issues. Sorry you are one of them. The software was beta tested for a number of weeks by many people, myself included and I and many others did not encounter one problem. So this wasn't just thrown out there. I do agree that weekend support is needed, give the router reset a try, it really isn't that big of a deal, it is something that needs to be done from time to time anyway.
billc124

update zapped both of my devices

Postby clusterf » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:47 pm

reset both but did not work, plus reset my modem and router. What a pain, you would think they would warn customers before pushing code I can see from this forum I am not alone is the issues many are having. Roku fix this!
clusterf

Re: update zapped both of my devices

Postby kc8pql » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:32 pm

clusterf wrote:reset both but did not work, plus reset my modem and router. What a pain, you would think they would warn customers before pushing code I can see from this forum I am not alone is the issues many are having. Roku fix this!
The software was tested for several weeks by over 200 beta testers, including auto updating at least 4 or 5 times with no problems. What you are seeing on the forum is that a few people out of close to a 1/2 million boxes sold by now are having a problem. That's to be expected with a software update on anything. If you state your problem in a little more detail than "my box is fried" and have a little patience, someone here can probably help you figure it out. If both your boxes quit, there's a good chance the problem is somewhere else.
kc8pql

Re: update zapped both of my devices

Postby shelleyp » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:50 am

kc8pql wrote:
clusterf wrote:reset both but did not work, plus reset my modem and router. What a pain, you would think they would warn customers before pushing code I can see from this forum I am not alone is the issues many are having. Roku fix this!
The software was tested for several weeks by over 200 beta testers, including auto updating at least 4 or 5 times with no problems. What you are seeing on the forum is that a few people out of close to a 1/2 million boxes sold by now are having a problem. That's to be expected with a software update on anything. If you state your problem in a little more detail than "my box is fried" and have a little patience, someone here can probably help you figure it out. If both your boxes quit, there's a good chance the problem is somewhere else.

Actually, 200 testers for half a million boxes sold is not a sufficient pool of testers.

My suggestion to the person having the problem, and this is only a suggestion, I didn't have upgrade problems:

Deactivate one box with Netflix.
Reset the box back to a factory install state, using this option in the Roku Player settings.
Unless it automatically updates, once the start screen is up, reset the networking connection, and then reconnect to Netflix.
See if everything is working.
Then do the update.

This might be something that will clear out a problem state, possibly based on some previous install glitch, and shouldn't hurt anything. Worst case scenario: it won't work, but it doesn't now, anyway.

i noticed that someone mentioned about resetting both, but again, does that mean you rebooted, or actually did the factory fresh reinstall?

SUMMERSPA, when you get a not connecting message, is this popping up when your movie queue is supposed to be loading? The reason I say this is that Netflix is having problems, last weekend and this weekend. To test to see if the box really can't connect to the internet, go into Roku Player Settings and check the network option. You'll be able to see immediately if you really can't connect to the network. You may have to go through the network install again.

For the person who said their boxes were zapped: did a beam of light come out of nowhere and turn your boxes into a pile of ashes?

Sorry, I know this sounds snarky but that's what 'zapped' means to me.

Could you be more specific. They give you an error message? They don't turn on at all? Smoke is coming from the innards?
shelleyp

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion